Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

How familiar are you with the Commencal range?

Cos they seem to be getting a lot of decent marks lately from bike mags (10/10 for the meta 5.2 in the UK mag MBR). One of my buddies is about to buy one so will fire a report up when I he lets me have a go...

Anyway, just in case any of you lads/lasses hadn't come across them before. The Meta 5 range are their five inch bikes (unsurprisingly....lol) - check em out:

http://www.commencal.com/bike/2007/mtb/index_en.htm

The mags reckon their suspension system works really well negating the need for pro pedal. Plus they're nice and light at 28.5 pounds.......a few Race Face parts here and there - all at a decent price......wooooo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Interesting

Do you have the link to the test report? Is it the most recent issue or earlier? I would like to see how did they define a 10/10 'perfect' bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Looks like a high pivot Giant VT with the push links...
    I'd say there will be pedal feedback in the rough, reasonable brake squat, and you will still need a pedal platform of some sort if you want efficiency. Very rearward axle path which will extend chain in the second half of the travel (by a fair bit). Heavy reliance on chain forces which will 'de-activate' the suspension. I've never rode the bike, so I'm just guessing based on paper. It has been getting some very good reviews.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    In the last week or so I've tested a few bikes, Norco Fluid 1.0, Specialized Enduro Expert, my buddies Foes FXR and my other buddies Blur LT, along with a Commencal Meta 5.2.

Needless to say I'm ordering an '07 Commencal 5.1 without question. A mix of the specialty designed tubing and regardless of the single pivot design, the bike climbs amazingly and descends insanely. Its no wonder these guys are the kings of Super D and marathon downhill in Europe, they're doing something right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier
    In the last week or so I've tested a few bikes, Norco Fluid 1.0, Specialized Enduro Expert, my buddies Foes FXR and my other buddies Blur LT, along with a Commencal Meta 5.2.

Needless to say I'm ordering an '07 Commencal 5.1 without question. A mix of the specialty designed tubing and regardless of the single pivot design, the bike climbs amazingly and descends insanely. Its no wonder these guys are the kings of Super D and marathon downhill in Europe, they're doing something right.
    Yup, people who ride it like it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Right guys and gals - finally found the review - check it out:

http://www.realcycles.com/smsimg/upl...reviewmain.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Loving my 5.2

I have had my Meta 5.2 for a little over a month now. It is my first dual-sus but am loving it. I am climbing things where my Stumpy hardtail would spin out on. The suspension keeps the back end down and when it is time to head back down, the bike just flies.

My only two complaints are the amount of flex the Float RL has and the wheels. Will be changing the wheels for next season and the fork soe time after that.

The Meta 5.1 and 5.2 can be found realy cheap at www.greenfish.com.

mtbr member
    What's the standover like on those frames? Looks a little tall to me.

mtbr member

High pivot but not really...

This bike is very unique. We have an 06 Meta 5.2 here at Go-Ride and we have been riding it a lot. I do a lot of suspension research and this bike has opened up a new pattern of thinking.

This pivot location looks too high at least by american standards. The key here is that the BB is just barely UNDER 13"!!! When the BB is that low the pivot is lowered too in relation to the rear axle. It is also foreward of the BB which elongates the axle path. The wheelpath is not as rearward as it seems.

Yes there is still some feedback in the granny but nothing near what you would guess by its location above the 32t middle ring. I love good single pivots,hate bad ones!! I rode this bike with an open mind and was totally suprised by the feel.There is a hint of chain torque in the 32. It's the kind that gives you some acceleration without affecting pedaling. Now if you spend hours in the granny climbing over stair steppy rocky climbs it is probably not the best bike. However i have said this before in relation to the blur and natrually lots of people use that bike in this application and love it.

The real beauty of this bike is the low BB combined with fast acceleration,and a solid built chassis. The bike absolutely rips fast terrain.Rough turny scetchy, good. This is why quite a few people have gotten on one and been totally suprised and impressed by this bike. It is still a 5.5" bike so it makes a great AM bike but will blow doors on most others when the riding becomes very aggrressive. The linkage rate is pretty progressive.It is very plush and ramps up well.The linkage feel matches the geo to provide the feel of being on a mini DH bike.Wait- they have another model called the Mini DH!- The meta's cousin.

There are going to be a lot of people who won't like it though. It is heavyish,slack and low.It has some issues in the granny. If you come off andElls ID and love it (hi bb,foreward body position,active susp.)you're in for a suprise. It is the exact opposite in a similar bike. The more speed oriented you are the better. Downhillers will love it.

We like it an aweful lot, Scott has adopted it for the time being. It is a great bike for the right rider.

Krispy
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have the large and the top tube is 30" from my living room floor. That means I have 4" before pain sets in.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wankel
    What's the standover like on those frames? Looks a little tall to me.
    yeah, the top tube doesn't bend down at all, as alot of the others i see. are the '07's even out yet? i am interested in the 5.2 maybe. any1 know how much they go for?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50
    yeah, the top tube doesn't bend down at all, as alot of the others i see. are the '07's even out yet? i am interested in the 5.2 maybe. any1 know how much they go for?
    Yes, you can get 07 Meta 5.5.X in US now, search the web and ebay you will find a lot of places carry them, but don't expect to get any discount price.
    06 meta 5.X have much better value if you can still find them, I got a 5.2 from ebay for an amazing price but can't find that deal anymore. right now try Greenfish Sport, they sell 5.2 for $1,850.
    Good luck, my bike should come in this weekend!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

5.2 Rips!

I have had my 5.2 for about a month and I am blown away. I live in Auburn, CA and we have a lot of riding out here, and it has exceeded my expectations. I got mine through Pricepoint. as there are some deals to be found.

Ride on!

..of the masses..
    hey krispy, could you please let us know the what the standover is like on the bike your shop has? preferably measure it too, if you can, and tell us what size you got. me and my wife will be moving to america next year and i want to get a fully then. and i have been eyeing this bike for some time. some info on standover would be very cool man, thanks!

Spanish Marathon Racer
    I live in spain, and I have a road race 2003 commencal. The quality of the frame is extremely high, and laterall stiffness is bullet-proof. I also know a guy who has a hard tail for XC races and is very happy with it. It is light (but NOT stupidly light) and very well finished. I also know another that have a meta 5 to compete in 4x and in words from him "When you ride this you canīt believe it has only 130 mms rear travel".

I hope my words are useful for you
    "Win gives you glory, continue to your last breath gives yo pride, surrender is not an option"
    "Like a beast freed from its chains, I pedal like If I had to scape from hell. As sweat falls from my face, my phantoms, my fears, are left behind until they are points at the horizon."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Standover height

Quote Originally Posted by hagar
    hey krispy, could you please let us know the what the standover is like on the bike your shop has? preferably measure it too, if you can, and tell us what size you got. me and my wife will be moving to america next year and i want to get a fully then. and i have been eyeing this bike for some time. some info on standover would be very cool man, thanks!
    Before I bought the medium 5.2, I sent email to everyone who had reviewed this bike in MTBR, one gentlean replied my question and measured the height for me, unfortunately I deleted that emaiil but I remember it's about 28.?" at the lowest top tube. Another guy 5'-7" tall said he had considered a small size bike but found out it is way too small than medium that he finally got. Other folks in my heigt range didn't think it's an issue in actual riding position.
    I have a 29.5 inseam and decide to go for the medium, I can't confirm the measurement since I won't be about to put together my bike until Dec. 10th or so. Make sure you look at the 2006 5.3 and up (5.2, 5.1)model, because all 2005's and 2006's 5.4 still use the older design which has no bend at all at top tube which worsen the standover issue.

Here is another test report by UK magazine Singletrack, it's for the 2005 older model frame 5.2 (31lb vs 2006's 28.5 lb), you will find their comment on the toptube:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/i/biketest20.pdf

Good luck, and keep it posted.
    Last edited by BigBull; 11-15-2006 at 03:53 PM.

PDB
    SUFD
    I own a Commencal 5.5.1 and can say that it's the best bike that i've ever ridden. I've spent time on DW links, and other dual links - they work great when pedaling, but you can definetly feel the travel's limitations when you are in the rough. The bike is basically a single pivot with a linkage unit that lower's the leverage ratio so that that shock has a huge amount of control over the travel. It's true that you won't need to turn the pro pedal on (I think that that bike is too harsh with it "on") - that being said, fox shox don't have a true "propedal off" setting. Even when it's turned off, you still have a bit of the pro pedal.
    As far as the BB being low - it does seem a bit low, but I've only dinged my rings once. I spend most of my time riding in pretty rocky areas and technical areas - I've been nothing but impressed. It's very true that the bike feels better when you pick up the speed, but I do ride "slow" trails faster than i do on my razorback (short travel XC).
    This bike is pretty amazing - I climb faster on it (than the razorback) and I can descend on the Commencal as fast as my DH rig on all but the most difficult trails. (passed a bunch of guys on DH bikes last weekend).
    Let me know if you have any questions - ask away! I'm happy to spread the new gospel!!!
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    been very fortunate to Race For the Commencal/Dropmachine.com Team, so if you have questions about the bikes I'd be happy to help

I've ridden extensively the
    - meta 4.1
    - absolut
    - Supreme DH
    - Supreme 6.1 (Mini DH)
    - meta 5.1
    - Essence and Flame (xc race hardtails)

it would take to much to review them all here, but suffice to say each bike has its specific attributes, nothing is perfect but you can easily tell that each Commencal bike is designed with a certain type of performance in mind, they are definitely not you average all aroudn good feel bike,
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've had the chance to ride a Meta 5 VIP frame built up for part of the summer (friend's bike) and loved it. Great for climbing, but even better going down.

I then decided to get two... So I am expecting to ride a 07 Meta 5.5.1 and a 07 Mini-DH 6.1 (Supreme 6) next season... I also decided to sell the Commencal line next season for North of 60 riders.

This brand has amazing bikes and the prices are very good.

Europe is raving about those bikes and their top rider Cedric Gracia, is doing a excellent job winning races on different Commencal frames.

mtbr member
    So - how do we get a dedicated Commencal section on the forum ??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh
    So - how do we get a dedicated Commencal section on the forum ??
    Strenght is in the numbers...

Commencal Club of Northamerica

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer

06 vs 07 Meta frames

Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    Yes, you can get 07 Meta 5.5.X in US now, search the web and ebay you will find a lot of places carry them, but don't expect to get any discount price.
    06 meta 5.X have much better value if you can still find them, I got a 5.2 from ebay for an amazing price but can't find that deal anymore. right now try Greenfish Sport, they sell 5.2 for $1,850.
    One more difference between the 06 Meta 5 and 07 Meta 5 frames (besides standover) seems to be the top tube length.
    I was just comparing some top tube measurements for the large frame:
    06 Meta 566mm/22.3in
    07 Meta 593mm/23.3in
    07 Giant Reign 604mm/23.8in
    07 Specialized Enduro 620mm/24.4in

mtbr member

Meta 5.0 - photo and some measurements

New bike just arrived a couple of hours ago

Some measurements

Frame is a medium - standover height is 74cm
    Weight (as seen - no pedals) - 13.6Kg
    Groupset is Shimano XT
    Wheels are Hope XC hubs, XC717 rims
    Bar/Stem is FSA (not the lightest)
    Seatpost is Gravity Dropper (450g)

Ain't had a chance to ride it yet

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice! How much did that one run for in US?

mtbr member
    Ģ1,800 of our UK Pounds - that's gonna be about $3,500 US. Works out only slightly cheaper than a pre-built Meta 5.1 /5.5.1 over here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast