mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Haro Sonix vs. Commencal Meta 4.3? which XC bike?

Dear fren,

good day to all! at the moment i can decide for either Haro sonix vs. Commencal Meta 4.3!

which is a better performer? and which would give XC and slightly AM ride more fun!

however, the price between 2 bikes are slightly different. the Commencal is about USD$400 more!

dont really mind about the price difference, but i want a better bike in the long run.

dont have enough for a specialized or santa cruz at the moment. however i still want to get a bike to start off!

refer to the website below for specs for both bikes:

http://www.commencal.com/bike/mtb/2008/index.htm
    http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/sonix.php

thank you frens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have a 2006 Meta 5.2 and love it. The frame desgin allows the bike to climb and descend very well. The top tube on the 5.2 was a little short, so I put a longer stem on it.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    commencal, bottomline

ride hard take risks
    I would go Sonic Comical web sit sux to navigate. Mongoose is working half way hard to come up with a better bike & the Sonic is proof of this. As for Comical if they can spend the money to make the web site a night club they should put the money into the consumer pocket instead.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How different is the Comencal from the Diamondback Mission bike? The design looks remarkably similar. I bet you could get the DB for less from lack of Euro-ness alone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    cemmencal hands down

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    How different is the Comencal from the Diamondback Mission bike? The design looks remarkably similar. I bet you could get the DB for less from lack of Euro-ness alone.
    you have to look closely at the rocker design of the rear suspension, when you do you will realize that companies such as diamondback, orange, and to an extent cannondale have all poorly copied the Meta line that Max Commencal (not comical) had made and works so well.

I asked this question on the commencal owners group forum and got the info I'm passing alone to you.

here's the dback

here's an Orange

here's a recent Meta 5.5

to the person taking a quick glance they are similar, but really look at the positioning in the suspension linkage, then you'll notice differences.........
    also look at the stiffer rear swing arm used on all Meta's now

hope I helped

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I owned a 06 Connemcal 5.2, sold it due to an injury. missed it badly even I got a Motolite afterward. The suspension is so plush and hook up so well to earth. 5.2 is definately design for the downhill, the slack head angle will drain you out on long climb. I am not sure how XC the 4.2 can get. Downside: customer service in US is almost non-exist.
    I will also consider Giant Trance with similar geometry, good suspension and good value.