mtbr member
    Nov 2005

A good deal - Supreme DH VIP

So I swung by The Bike Company today on my way home from work and I guess they're now selling Commencal. I'm not too familiar with the brand (other than the fact that Gee Atherton rides one), but I have had my eye on a DH bike for shuttle days and Mammoth. The owner Joe walked me through the bike and told that he's selling the Supreme DH VIP (Gee's replica frame) along with a 888 Marzocchi RC3 Ti fork for $2,800. In doing some research, it looks like that frame alone runs almost $2,500 to $2,600, so I'm not sure how he's also selling a 888 along with it, but at the surface it sounds like a great deal. My qustions are:

1. I don't really have any buddies that have ridden Commencal in SoCal, but I was looking for some feeback on this frame in our loose/sandy SoCal conditions.

2. Thoughts on this price/package? I was originally looking to go the V10 route, but it would be cool to have a bike that you don't see out on the trails all the time.

I don't think they have the deal posted on their website (www.bikeco.com), but I've gone to the shop for a few years now (bought my Ibis from them) and I trust that they wouldn't sell something that they thought was crap.

$0.02 anyone?

mtbr member
    I have an '09 of the Supreme DH and I love the bike. The price sounds pretty good with the fork included. the frame has plenty of adjustability with the wheelbase, brake squat, and HT angle. I have ridden a V10 a few times but not enough to give it a proper comparison. I do not think the frame is any different than the other Supreme DH models, its just the paint/colorway that is different and the components that they stick on it. Seeing as how you are just going with the frame/fork its a decent price but I don't think anything to rant and rave over. At one point they had the '09 Supreme DH complete bikes on chainlove for $2100 I think. Good luck either way

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the reply!

I haven't really thought much about the other components, but I've always approached bike building with getting the right frame/fork. I'll more than likely just have The Bike Company help me complete the rest of the build. They did mention that they're going to be stocking a few Supreme DH demos, so maybe I'll wait and see if I can ride it first before pulling the trigger. Compared to what I paid for my Ibis, $2,800 for a frame/fork still seems like a solid deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    All I can say is I've loved my Supreme DH and I've heard nothing but good things from everyone that's ridden one. Now that the 3rd generation of the frame is out, I'm sure that Commencal and all the distributors are discounting the frames they have left.