mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Frame quality..?

Looking to get some honest opinions here... I'm very interested in building up a Meta HT AM 2 frame, but before I purchase it I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with quality. I see a ton of forum posts on many different websites about people complaining about cracked frames from Commencal and, worse, the company being shitty to deal with.

So, for those of you who own Commencals, what do you think about this? Is there a real systemic problem with the quality of their frames?
    Last edited by runt; 01-26-2014 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    I've owned 3 Commencal frames and never had one failing on me, but 2 friends of mine did. One of them was my first DH Super Team VIP that I sold to one of my friends and he cracked it right at the headtube. I need to point out the dude is a big boy.

Second one broke the swingarm of his 2012 Supreme FR and the dude, although he rips, weighs only around 150lbs.

More than the frames cracking, what is worse to me is the 1 year warranty they provide, my friend with the broken swingarm was offered a reduced price for a new frame or having to pay full price for a new swingarm, which he ended up buying.

I really like my Supreme 6 very much as I did my DH ones but I don't think I'll buy another one after what happen to my friend's. Also the fact that I don't see any support on this forum like they do as with other brands (I am the one who asked about the CCDB in the last post), as well as calling Commencal USA and the person who answers the phone does not seem to be familiar with their product to provide you with an informed answer, and tells you he needs to contact the brands headquarters to come and answer your question (I did that myself pal).

They are well designed frames though...
    Do you feel lucky? do you, punk?- Dirty Harry

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Build quality is very good i.e. paint spec and quality[one of the best i've had] bearings , linkages.
    I think you will find all those broken frames on the forums from 2008/2009 metas.
    Don't know about customer service I always buy frames on special online anyway so don't expect any customer service. I can however buy parts direct from the mfg online which is a bonus IMHO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I purchased a Meta AM 650b 2014 frame and BOS suspension from Seven02 Distribution January 26. They were completely sold out of all their frames, both the SX and the Meta's. I was told it would be a couple weeks and could expect delivery end of Feb. Apparently all the frames were sold in Europe also so I had to wait for the 2nd production run. Seven02 contacted me and told me to expect it around April 14. They took $200 off the price for the delay which was cool, I live in BC and the snow is just melting, so waiting wasn't a big deal. I sent an email to him yesterday confirming the delivery date. Crossing my fingers that it's landed and I can start my build. I have a garage full of parts and no frame! I'll post some pics when it arrives. I do agree they should be more proactive in North America and boost their presence. With all their history and World titles you think they would have better control over who represents them over here. I have a friend in the Uk that has his already and he's a beast! He tested many new 2014 bikes and always went back to the Meta. Bottomless suspension feel, burly build, pedals amazingly and one of the funnest rides.

Cheers !

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi,

Where i ride i see many Commençal bikes ( I live 4 km away of Commençal's Headquarters) I've never seen many problems with those bikes, specialy the Am who are well oversized.
    I wait for my new bike for this season a brand new Commençal AM 650b.
    After a season guiding MTB in the Pyrénées I will tell you more about that bike!

Pascal

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Craked frame were <2010 meta and recent super4 (swingarm).

Meta from 2010 onward are pretty bombproof, new meta AM are even above (given their weight...).
    Since 2014 frames have a 5y warranty (not applicable for older frames). New meta frames are available in anodized finish (200g less).