mtbr member
    May 2009

Cracked Meta 55 Carbon frame.

Anyone else have their 2010 Carbon Meta 55 frame crack?

My, size large, did just below the top shock mount.
    I have now waited since October to finally hear that they are replacing it with another one of the same 2010 model...
    I was also told that this problem was more common(!) on their medium carbon frames. I find this strange since the medium top shock mounts are supported by the toptube and the large is not...

If anyone else has had this problem or heard of it, I wonder what you might have been told?

Regards
    /Magnus
    Last edited by Magnus-A; 02-07-2011 at 05:20 AM.

mtbr member
    First of me hearing about their carbon frames cracking, we were just talking about this today in my mates bike shop, last year he had to send back at least nine Meta 55 frames for warranty, due to the common weld cracking under the top tube onto the seat tube. Think it has been more a welding problem that an alloy fatigue. Basically it was a bad batch. Hasn't really done them any favors to be honest, as it is even affecting second hand sales of 2010 models from what i can see.

Hope you get your frame replaced soon....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I also heard abot the bad welding on some of the aluminium metas! Sad thing!

I am getting my frame replaced, only with another one just like it...

/Magnus

mtbr member
    Sell your new frame when you get it, and replace it with something else... thats what i would do. The unfortunate thing is they are really nice bikes, and handle well its just a pity Commencal had this problem.

Old & Slow
    I was all set to get a 2010 Meta 5.5 frame, but after reading too many stories on line about cracking frame issues, I went with another direction. Too bad, because they seem like they are really good deal - when they are not falling apart! Not to stir things up on a Commencal board, but a 2010 Chumba VF2 frame can be had for about the same price if one looks around. :thumsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the meta's have been cracking since 2005 every year the story is that the problems been sorted but it just keeps happening , best avoided if you ask me , and before you ask yes i have had and broken 3 meta 5 frames , sold the 4 one just as mentioned above , its on ebay right now ,being sold for spares by the guy who bought it ...... yep thats right its cracked

Owner, Spoke Apparel
    Wow. Anyone know where the metas are manufactured?
    www.SpokeApparel.com
    T-Shirts for Mountain Bikers

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Upset Cracked 2010 Meta 55 Carbon Frame

Wow, I can't believe I stumbled on this thread. I have a cracked frame too, at the side of the bottom tube (see photo).

I have been trying desperately to get the local distributor for an exchange and finally Commencal responded that this was the result of a crash and therefore they are offering a $980 crash replacement frame.

To say the least, I am severely pissed and this has been on going for almost a year now.

Any advice out there please? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked  Meta 55 Carbon frame.-commencal-1.jpg  

Cracked  Meta 55 Carbon frame.-commencal-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesNBoards View Post
    Wow, I can't believe I stumbled on this thread. I have a cracked frame too, at the side of the bottom tube (see photo).

I have been trying desperately to get the local distributor for an exchange and finally Commencal responded that this was the result of a crash and therefore they are offering a $980 crash replacement frame.

To say the least, I am severely pissed and this has been on going for almost a year now.

Any advice out there please? Thanks in advance.
    Not what you want to hear but that crack does look like a puncture due to a crash and not a stress fracture due to manf. defect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Same opinion here. Not typical carbon crack. Looks like a puncture.

The Angry Singlespeeder

Commencal

BikesNBoards,

I know this thread is a bit old, but if you still haven't figured out what to do with your frame, we can easily fix your Commencal for a fraction of the replacement price. A repair like that typically runs $250 (ballpark - we have have the frame in hand for a firm estimate) plus $75 for clearcoat. If you want to paint match and recreate graphics, we can do that too for an extra cost.

Check out our website and view the examples of our repairs. We've got more than 20 years experience repairing composites, so your frame will be structurally good as new and we can finish it so nobody will even be able to tell it was damaged.

Drop me a line through our email address at the website if you want more info.

Sincerely,
    Kurt Genshammer
    The Angry Singlespeeder
    @AngrySinglespdr