eci

Commencal Super 4 - Build p0rn and ride report

i just picked up a brand new commencal super 4 frame and built her up. i rode it on sunday and this by far is the most fun xc bike ever! when the seatpost is down it rides like a 4x bike, when its up it rides like an xc bike. If you have any ideas on how to lower the weight please let me know i want to get her down to 27 lbs right now its 29.90

Frame - Commencal Super 4 medium
    Shock - Monarch 4.2
    Fork - Pike 454 (soon to be a reba)
    Brakes - Hope mono mini's
    Wheels - Hope pro2's on 819's
    Fr Tire - Minion dhf 2.35
    R Tire - Crossmark 2.1
    Cranks - XT
    R Der - x.9
    F Der - XT
    Bash - FSA
    Headset - Transition
    Stem - Hope
    Bars - Funn Fatboy(prolly heavy)
    Post - Thomson 31.6
    Saddle - SDG Bel Air RL (heavy)
    Shifters - x.9
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd take off the minion on the front and put a big volume, low weight tyre on it that will save you a few hundred grams. If your changing the pike out to a reba that should drop some weight too. Personally however I'd have kept the pike as its a great, bombproof fork. I think changing the front tire will make a difference, rotational weight is where you notice the biggest difference. I had highrollers on my bike and swapped them out for Nobby nic 2.4 i saved over 1lbs and it had a massive impact on the acceleration etc

Nice bike by the way

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yep my minions roll super slow, Nobby Nics roll really quick , I changed from 2.35 Minions to 2.4 Nobblys huge difference.

Eating Hot Pockets
    nice!
    that color is obnoxious!

yeah dump those tires and rims too...
    if you want tubeless, there's far lighter options that the tubeless rims...

bar and headset would be next on the list..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice build I am seriously considering a Super 4 I am also considering an Orange ST4 as well. Any ride impressions?

To drop weight lose the minion, the pike to reba switch is a good start. Also look at the cranks. what cassette are you running?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nice bike,

I'm thinking of building one of these up also. How is the tyre clearance at the back? I normally run 2.15 Mich Mountain drys but they are a big tyre for 2.15 more like a 2.3.

P

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Super 4

I have a 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph with no prob.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Very nice, i'll have a super 4 in the coming months as well, i will be making good use of frame wrap and helicopter tape as i've heard the paint is a bit weak.

What does she ride like, i will have rebas doing on as well, hated my tomac for climbing, sure it was fast but never tracked the ground decently go i would usually run out of grip than anything else.