mtbr member

Commencal stole my idea for the '09 RFX

This is what I wish Dave would head for in the new RFX, I would buy it in a second.

Discuss.
    nothing witty here...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    This is what I wish Dave would head for in the new RFX, I would buy it in a second.
    Discuss.
    Wow... why? I think maybe you're joking?

Sorry, that thing looks like a XL bullit front triangle mated to a cheap vacuum cleaner. I can't see how any element of that design makes sense....
    comprimsing fit, shock clearance, dual-ring compatibilty, pedaling/braking perfromance and looks all to get the BB lower?

PS, I really like my '08.
    I know lots of people want something that just doesn't look so much like a 5-spot, and I fully understand the lower/slacker camp. (I'm already there). Just make the '08 with 1.5, thicker tubes, lower BB and downtube cablerouting is my .02c.

Better yet: keep the highline, get rid of the RFX, and offer burly/short travel rocker/swingarm options for both the highline and 5-spot.

either way I'm happily keeping my '08.

ride
    Don't forget about those big pimpin graphics, too
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    You can buy it. It's called a Commencal.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

trail fairy
    The cable routing looks clean
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Your idea was a 45 seat tube?

In any case that bike would SUCK riding anywhere but fairly smooth downhill. Glad I don't have it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Your idea was a 45 seat tube?
    That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the pic.
    BTW the pivot is higher than the chainring - I guess that scooter will not suffer from pedal bob at all.

mtbr member
    I know this is an old post, but I feel that some of the e-speculation was way off on this bike. That picture is a bit misleading and may very well be a custom bike just for one of their WC racers. The production "Mini DH" is a ripp'n bike that the '09 RFX could draw some info from.

To clear some points up:
    1. It is front derailleur compatible.
    2. The actual seat angle is 68, but at the effective seat height is measures 73. This is because the seat tube does not go straight down to the BB. This is very common on interupted seat tube bikes.
    3. With that pivot location the Mini DH does not have pedal bob. It does have a bit of pedal feed back, but due to the low BB height it has very little effect on pedaling even i the granny. I actually prefer a bit of pedal feedback in the granny to keep the bike from bobbing.
    4. Braking performance is very good with this bike. Again because of the low BB it actually has a very vertical wheel path that performs very well under braking.
    5. Yes, the BB is low....heck, it's a Mini DH bike. If you don't appreciate what it's designed to do then it's probably not for you.

Two other points:
    1. This bike rips DH. It's everything a DH bike should be without the extra weight and slow handling. However, it climbs way better than any DH bike could dream of.
    2. If this model is too DH for you then they make a bike that is very similar, but more trail oriented: It's called the Meta 6. There were two bikes I absolutely loved at this years Interbike Dirt Demo. First was the new Turner DW 5spot, and second was the Meta 6.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Commencal bikes.
    Last edited by Scott@GO-RIDE.com; 12-26-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    I know this is an old post, but I feel that some of the e-speculation was way off on this bike. That picture is a bit misleading and may very well be a custom bike just for one of their WC racers. The production "Mini DH" is a ripp'n bike that the '09 RFX could draw some info from.

To clear some points up:
    1. It is front derailleur compatible.
    2. The actual seat angle is 68, but at the effective seat height is measures 73. This is because the seat tube does not go straight down to the BB. This is very common on interupted seat tube bikes.
    3. With that pivot location the Mini DH does not have pedal bob. It does have a bit of pedal feed back, but due to the low BB height it has very little effect on pedaling even i the granny. I actually prefer a bit of pedal feedback in the granny to keep the bike from bobbing.
    4. Braking performance is very good with this bike. Again because of the low BB it actually has a very vertical wheel path that performs very well under braking.
    5. Yes, the BB is low....heck, it's a Mini DH bike. If you don't appreciate what it's designed to do then it's probably not for you.

Two other points:
    1. This bike rips DH. It's everything a DH bike should be without the extra weight and slow handling. However, it climbs way better than any DH bike could dream of.
    2. If this model is too DH for you then they make a bike that is very similar, but more trail oriented: It's called the Meta 6. There were two bikes I absolutely loved at this years Interbike Dirt Demo. First was the new Turner DW 5spot, and second was the Meta 6.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Commencal bikes.
    Thanks for the clarification Scott! I am currently intrigued by this bike as well, seems similar to IH SSO (Sam's Sea Otter) rig they custom built for him in 07'.

This bike is acutally what I want my 06' RFX to be, but probably never will, even though I did lower and slack it little with the addition of shorter seat stays.

Do you know what the BB height is on that thing? I couldn't find it on the website and do you guys' sell them? Pricepoint used to sell complete Commencal Supreme mini-DH for great prices, 1.5-$2k, but don't have them anymore. Looks like the Athertons and camp upped the value and demand of these things.

JG
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure the Mini-DH has the same BB height as the Meta 6, but we don't have a Mini built up at this momment for me to measure.

We do have the '08 Mini DH frame on sale: Mini DH Sale @ Go-ride.com
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's