Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Pedal Power
    Aug 2006

Is the Commencal Meta 666 an AM?

I just stumbled across this beast, I don't think I've ever seen a Commencal in person and haven't heard much info about them before. None the less the Meta 666 is a sick looking bike. Is it a FR or AM frame? Anyone know if it's any good?

wuss
    If their older bikes are anything to go by it should be a very good bike to pedal, and even nicer coming down. It does not look like a FR bike, the parts selection is more geared to going up and down hills and trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Meta 666

I have just bought one for the French Alps - Its definately an all mountain bike - but it loves the downs and cantake some big hits / jumps etc

Buy one

Phil

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

It is meant for AM

Commencal made the 666 for Enduro races in Europe from what I have read. If I am not mistaken, the geometry is very similar to the Meta 5, which is a great bike (yes, I own one)! Good climber and feels like bottomless travel on the way down.
    As for why you haven't heard much of them yet is that they are only starting to get positive exposure in North America (US distributor went belly up in 2006) but they seem to be huge in Europe.
    There is a dedicated web site for Commencal owners based in the UK (www.commencalownersclub.com). There are a few people who have a 666 and have given some positive reviews of it capabilities.
    Commencal have a FR bike in their stable which is supposedly designed for Cedric Gracia. It is the Furious.
    Let us know if you get one,'
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    yeah I am a mountain bike guide in France -

click here

Its the perfect bike for the big terrrain

Phil

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    So the Meta 666 is their team race version? The Meta 6 is basically the same thing though? Frame wise? Looking on the Commencal site, the Meta 6 looks like it has more suspension travel than the 666.

How is frame quality with Commencal? Durability with the pivots and suspension design?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I read a test in some mag of this bike a while ago, and the main issue they had was that they felt the head angle was too steep for the intended use. This comment took it off my list for now, but it would be great to give it a test run.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Rttr

RTTR:
    I don't think there is a a 6.There is a regular 666 and they also have a 666 Team (green one). As for quality,the paint is not the best,but my Mete 5 has allowed me to ride (follow) my DH friends down lift access runs and I have had no issues except for having to tighten the main pivot bolt (3 times over a whole season). I am far from smooth and take the direct approach when riding

Lintott:
    As for the geometry, I think the article you read took the wrong approach to the 666. The 666 is not a mini DH bike (they have one of those as well), it is designed to be the bigger brother of the Meta 5 or a longer legged AM bike. You will have to take my word as speculation asI have not had a chance to try the 666 (basing my opinion on what I have read).

Both of you should take a look at the web site I mentionned for more complete info and for ride reports by people who have had the opportunity to ride the 666.

Hope this helps,
    Eric

Pedal Power
    Aug 2006
    According to the Commencal website there is a Meta 6, thats the only thing I know. Under the 2008 lineup

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Head Angle

The bike comes with some inner sleeves to adjust the head angle.

The 666 is definately an all mountain bike. I had a Meta 5 for a while and that was fantastic. I wanted something bigger but would still get me up the mountains in the Alps and also get me down them fast as well.

This bike is perfect for this and I will be doing the Megavalanche on it in July

click here for info about my guiding company

Phil

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by RTTR
    I just stumbled across this beast, I don't think I've ever seen a Commencal in person and haven't heard much info about them before. None the less the Meta 666 is a sick looking bike. Is it a FR or AM frame? Anyone know if it's any good?
    woe to you that ride The Number of the Beast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Meta 6 is the 666

RTTR,
    Sorry for being so slow to respond, working some crazy hours.
    As for the Commencal site, there is a Meta 6 but when you click on the link it brings you to the 666 which has 160mm (6.3in) of travel. There is also a link the the Meta 6 Team which is the same frame but green and a better build. To make it even more confusing, there is a Supreme 6 but that is a DH frame.
    The Commencal web site is not very informative.
    Hope this helps (and I am not mistaken).
    Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here's the web version of the Meta 666 review I mentioned

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/bike_news/...le_154437.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Lintott

Interesting read. I am curious to see what they think of it once they get a slacker angle.
    I was not planning on switching my Meta 5 to the 666 as the 5 does everything I ask of it.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    when you say slacker angle what do you mean?
    I've been looking at this frame for weeks now and the headtube allows for some play with angles with slight adjustments, as does the miniDH and the 4x that Gee Atherton pilots

as far as the OP's question, yeah it's an all mountain frame
    the riders at Commencal wanted something that could climb like the Meta 5 but decended somewhat like the MiniDH, hence the Meta 6 as it's called in the frame section on the site or '666' as some of us like to call it was born........

personally I'd order one but I was held back only by the cosmetics, I am not a fan of lime green superteam stickers on the frame only option

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Gray Bishop

I am referring to the article in MBR news about them using the Supreme insert to make the head tube angle more slack (< 67.5). Having thought about it a little, I don;t see why they would do that to the bike as Commencal has the Mini DH that would probably have those angles and can be set up with a dual ring.
    As for the lime green, it is slowly growing on me but I prefer the black 08 frame or last years white ones more.
    Eric

ride hard take risks
    Lime green Rockz.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I cant get into the lime green
    I asked on the commencal forum site if the stickers came off, one 666 owner told me his were under a clearcoat, that ended my desire for it from a cosmetic standpoint
    I will admit though if I got a fair price on the MiniDH with that lime green 'superteam' graphics design I might bite

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by gray bishop
    I cant get into the lime green
    I asked on the commencal forum site if the stickers came off, one 666 owner told me his were under a clearcoat, that ended my desire for it from a cosmetic standpoint
    I will admit though if I got a fair price on the MiniDH with that lime green 'superteam' graphics design I might bite
    Your digging snow & wont be riding for a few any way. You could even go Ghetto & put stickers or spray can. When your lost people just have to look for the large frog bouncing across the horizon to find you!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    LMAO, they say snow and it rains here
    for the record I tried finding those animal commencal stickers the Atherton's and Gracia have on their VIP frames, no luck

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred
    RTTR,
    Sorry for being so slow to respond, working some crazy hours.
    As for the Commencal site, there is a Meta 6 but when you click on the link it brings you to the 666 which has 160mm (6.3in) of travel. There is also a link the the Meta 6 Team which is the same frame but green and a better build. To make it even more confusing, there is a Supreme 6 but that is a DH frame.
    The Commencal web site is not very informative.
    Hope this helps (and I am not mistaken).
    Eric

check out the new site
    way better to navigate now
    : : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If it rides great, I wouldn't care if it looked like vomit, poop, or if it was pink. I'd even ride a hello kitty bike if it had 6.5" of rideable travel.

Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinStovall
    If it rides great, I wouldn't care if it looked like vomit, poop, or if it was pink. I'd even ride a hello kitty bike if it had 6.5" of rideable travel.
    That's pushing it

mtbr member
    We have a Meta 6 here as a frame only and the frame is 8lbs3oz.

In comparison to other 160mm bikes it's a bit heavier than a Turner RFX (7 lbs 2oz) but not much more than a Nomad (7.5-7.3/4?)

I mini DH is closer to 10lbs.

I think if you like to ride an all mountain type bike but aren't afraid to jump big or be Mr Slopestyle frequently this would be an excellent choice.

As for suspension feel, the Metas have been stellar by all who have ridden them, this would be no different.

Krispy
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krispy@go-ride.com
    We have a Meta 6 here as a frame only and the frame is 8lbs3oz.

In comparison to other 160mm bikes it's a bit heavier than a Turner RFX (7 lbs 2oz) but not much more than a Nomad (7.5-7.3/4?)

I mini DH is closer to 10lbs.

I think if you like to ride an all mountain type bike but aren't afraid to jump big or be Mr Slopestyle frequently this would be an excellent choice.

As for suspension feel, the Metas have been stellar by all who have ridden them, this would be no different.

Krispy

Is this the Krispy from the Down vids? I was in Vegas for one of the Down video premiers in like 2001. Your section was the best, by the way. Oh, and do these 666ís get much flex in the back? I weigh 220lbs so I normally feel it if its there.
    "I once fell asleep in a satellite dish and when I woke I had the ability to smell colors"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast