paps

Commencal Meta 5 vip (08) frame with 130mm fork?

I was wondering how the bike would behave with a 130 fork,has anyone tried that out? All the Q/R 140 forks appear a bit flexy and since there are stiffer and lighter 130mm forks out there I'm guessing it wouldn't affect so much the geometry for just 10mm.The HA is not so steep anyway. I'm thinking of buying one for myself but I'm not so sure about the fork.

Ride the dream
    Hmm, should be ok, especially if you get one with a fairly long AtC measurement.

Be aware - the travel of the fork isnt the important thing in what length (and thus headangle etc you get) it is.
    Different forks, and brands, will have different axle to crown measurements - so a 130mm fork with a long axle to crown measurement will have less impact than one with a short one, though the degree of either depends on the axle to crown measurement of the fork youre replacing.

But.

Is there any reason not to buy a new front wheel?
    I mean - it wouldnt be THAT expensive to get a new front wheel and a Pike...
    (Or wait a while and get yourself a Magura Thor, which looks like it ought to be even stiffer)

I guess it depends alot on what forks youre looking at at the moment - also being aware that the bigger the rotor you go for, the more flex you're gonna get under braking which maybe causing you to think its flexier than it is perhaps.

What forks have you tried/looked at so far?
    Last edited by EnglishT; 08-20-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Ride the dream
    Looking at it, the 32 Talas is about 510ish AtC.

The Magura Laurin (130mm) is 498... Thats not vastly different (though half of the commonly used "Dont change by more than 20mm rule) - the wheelbase would be shortened and handling quickened - but not by a massive enough amount for it to be a totally bad idea.

Magura forks tend to be damn stiff, that dual arch helps alot - they probably wouldnt enter any weight weenies mind, but stiffness is gonna be hard to beat, especially on a QR fork... Not that its THAT heavy either. Theyve had some rave reviews recently, especially on the Laurin.

If you wanted to go 130, you wouldnt get THAT much more stiffness in most forks - having to pick a fork that is both stiff and as close as possible to the length of the fork youre replacing (or the one that is used often on that frame) might be a tall order.
    Last edited by EnglishT; 08-20-2008 at 05:34 PM.

paps
    i'm thinking abt the magura , as well as the revelation. dt swiss 130 xmc is really a bad value for money.
    the thing is, i'm not that fond of big travel forks,i don't do big drops and all i need is a stiff fork that takes the rough,rocky terrain but doesn't disrupt my rhythm. the meta 5.5 has a wonderful suspension design that deserves an efficient fork.

Ride the dream
    Hadn't even thought of the DT - they are ridiculously expensive, but if i remember right have a quite long AtC measurement so they wouldnt mess the geometry up at all (goes to find it).

But, I wouldnt worry too much about going down a little bit - if stiffness and plushness matter to you I would go with the Laurin. Its not that the Revelation is a bad fork, but the Laurin will be quite a bit stiffer - besides, your frame will already be the talk of the trails, why not go one step further

paps
    laurin 130 is a bit heavy i reckon for an air fork, i just saw the new revelation with 110-140 u-turn that caught my eye. the minutes appear improved this year. not sure yet for the meta with a 130mm fork, maybe i should get a pace 405 or an epiphany frame (pricey though), or even the banshee pyre that are 130mm designs. i'm really fond of the meta looks though!sooooooooooo
    almost another topic, but i really think commencal esp this year with the trimmed meta 4 version, need a 120-130mm trail bike, and fuse 6 and 5 into one design around 5,75 with the current meta 6 geometry. damn, that was a nice idea!