mtbr member

Commencal Meta 5 for light freeride?

Hey guys, I'm looking for comments from anyone who has experience using a Meta 5 for a bit of trail and light freeride / dh use. They've been getting pretty good reviews but mostly people seem to use them just for trail use.

I was thinking about setting one up with just a dual ring/bashy, and a short stem. I almost bought a Giant Reign X1, but now I'm tempted by the Meta as I mostly ride trail stuff with the occasional day doing shuttles. I wouldn't be going huge on it, probably no more than 6ft drops. Anyone else using it for this sort of thing and if so how is it? I'd love to see some pics of people using it for this sort of thing too

squish is good
    The Meta 5 is really a trailbike through and through. It may hold up for some aggressive riding, but it's really not designed for that. The Reign X1 would be a much better option if you want a trail-rideable freeride bike. If your set on Commencal there is the mini DH if you want to go super heavy duty or the Meta 6 for more Reign-ish riding style (this would be a lighter option than the Reign X and better suited to trailriding).
    Bike good, work bad.

wyrd bi ful rd
    but if you would like to test the rigidity of the frame then go ahead. i do sometime do so on my FS, which is only for trail use, but i do go and drop it off an edge sometime and just hope for the best ... so far so good ... i think frames are sometimes built stronger than what the manufacturer recommends ... due to the lawsuit culture here in UK and i presume, America.

you know, i cannot fathom why someone will not know that a hot coffee might be hot.

mtbr member
    The reason I'm considering this bike is cause I saw some photos a while back of the Atherton brothers doing some pretty big drops on Meta 5's, so thought they must be able to handle the occasional bit of abuse.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have an 06 Meta 5 and do most of my riding at a ski hill (Bromont). I ride down all the DH runs, not as fast as people on DH bikes, but I make it down.
    I have yet to take it off anything higher than a 4 foot drop (me, not the bike) and don't do much jumping.
    Would the frame hold up for the type of riding you have described? I have no idea. Would any trail bike over the long run? Time will tell.
    As for the Atherton's doing some crazy stuff on their bikes. They may have been riding the 4X frames. Don't know for sure as I don't know what pics you are describing.
    I will tell you the bike is great, lots of fun and is still in great shape after a year and a half of me (220lbs). I am the one holding the bike back.
    Eric