ay Diablo!

Commencal Meta 5.5 & Diamondback All mtn Mission

I just got back from the bike shop, and they carrie Giant and Diamondback. I was checking out the Reigns, when I saw the Diamondbacks Mission series. The frames reminded me a lot of the commencal Metas. Nothing else, just mindless thoughts.......................
    Here's a link to both frames
    http://www.commencal.com/bike/mtb/index_en.htm

http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=13&itemid=253

Enjoy!
    Last edited by farmboybunk; 01-11-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

GOD SPEED # 58 RIP
    More than coincidence....... I wonder what Max Commencal think about that?

mtbr member
    The linkages are different
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    Looks like the pivot point is in a completely different place - and the front DR is mounted on the seat-tube, not a "stub".

Looks nice from a distance - not sure I like the hydro-formed top-tube though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    More than coincidence....... I wonder what Max Commencal think about that?
    Wasn't the Giant VT series pretty much the same thing too?

and they were around before max commencal's version

mtbr member
    Looks good..

with the short triangle links these bikes use you almost need to map the progression rate to really know how well they work.

The Commencal has the triangulated swingarm which is strong and stiff, and has the push rod that pushes on the triangle link. This linkage has a lot of progression (rising rate).

The DB has a dropout pivot so the push rod is very long. The progression could still be good. The rear end won't be as stiff, look at the funny brace behind the seat tube, there's no other way to put one on there.

Probably the best DB ever made.
    Currently enjoying life Giant Trance Advanced 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Giant STP

Out there
    Aug 2006
    Look at the chainstays. On the Commencal they are aligned with the BB. On the DB, not so much.

The Commencal has an *amazing* lack of pedal bob, I think partly because of this, since the chainline has no leverage on the rear cogs.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I can Agree that the Mission is probably the best DB ever made.. although similar in looks to the commencal (really only the triangle shape Bell Crank) the pivots are in different locations. which will have varied effects on the feel of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I came across this by mistake. Looks like many companies are labeling this frame as their own. Not that this is anything new to the bike industry.

http://www.focus-bikes.de/englisch_n...e=all_mountain

mtbr member

Diamondback?

Do people really buy these bikes? I mean when I was a kid Diamondback was the sh!t,Heary Leary was the man,but don't know that I've ever seen anyone(hardcore anyway)on a Diamondback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Do people really buy these bikes? I mean when I was a kid Diamondback was the sh!t,Heary Leary was the man,but don't know that I've ever seen anyone(hardcore anyway)on a Diamondback.
    I bought a mission 3. Never again. It rides great but there are plenty of other companies that make great bikes and have the quality and customer service to back up their products. Too many problems with the frame and the company to ever consider another db.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Smile Mission 3 / Meta 5.5

its interesting to read comments from people that really don't understand what they are looking at.. the Commencal and the DB have Similar Profile looks, Sure, but Main Pivot is in such a different location, these bikes will act and react totally different.. also the Mission offers more travel in a simpler (lighter) design. I'm not sure what issue bikinaggie has had with DB or his Mission.. all I can say is I have been riding the Heck out of my Mission, with No issues what so ever, and I live and ride in some of the most demanding terrain. good luck to all who buy a bike from a small builder, from my experience most are over priced and under tested.. My neighbor can weld too, ya know.

mtbr member
    The issues I've had are: 1st frame dented, frame sent to me after recall had a float r instead of rp23 and was a medium instead of a large, the frame I have now is covered in small flaws in the aluminum and has loose tolerances that lead to play in the rear end. Hopefully these are isolated issues, but this is the third frame I've had in my possession, and the third frame with issues I cant write off. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the bike rides awesome, but in my experience, does not have the backing of a company I want to deal with. As for the small builder I'm buying from, the transition covert is priced less than the mission it will hopefully be replacing, and has been ridden hard on more gnarly terrain than I'll ever see for a few months. I'll take my chances

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Bummer

sounds like a few things were mixed up upon your bike being returned to you. bummer.. any way it will be good to hear about you new bike, keep in touch.

Late.

zhu
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Neighbourhood welder?

Whistler steve props to you and he terrain you ride with your mission, but Max Commencal is not exactly your friendly neighbourhood welder. He's actually the guy behing most of Nico Vouilloz's racebikes (you just may have heard of him). The meta linkage was designed by Bossard engineering or BOS (the guy behind mitsubishi Dakar rally winning cars and citroen WRC cars) and the frames are made by Kinesis, the taiwanese factory which makes Kona and Santa Cruz frames, to name just two.
    Ride on..

PDB
    SUFD
    I own a Commencal Meta 5.5 Numero 1 - and was able to do some pre season testing on the diamondback before I made my purchase (end of 06).
    Both of the bikes perform, but after having ridden both - the Commencal was a no brainer. It's lighter, faster, less bob, better bump performance... blah blah blah.
    The DB looks to be the same as the "Focus" mentioned earlier - check out the pivot above the rear axle (Commencal is a true single pivot - with linkage to lower leverage ratio)
    The Lower leverage ratio enables me to ride without pro pedal turned on (I don't even climb with it on).

All in all - you won't get a bad bike with either, I'm pretty aggressive about my riding and like find that the SLACK geometry with super good bump performance was my deciding factor - but I felt that I could pedal the Commencal better than the DB.

Hope this Helps,
    Cheers!
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu
    Whistler steve props to you and he terrain you ride with your mission, but Max Commencal is not exactly your friendly neighbourhood welder. He's actually the guy behing most of Nico Vouilloz's racebikes (you just may have heard of him). The meta linkage was designed by Bossard engineering or BOS (the guy behind mitsubishi Dakar rally winning cars and citroen WRC cars) and the frames are made by Kinesis, the taiwanese factory which makes Kona and Santa Cruz frames, to name just two.
    Ride on..
    Steve's comment wasn't directed at Commencal, it was addressed to all the "custom" frame builders who put out sub par work

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ZHU is partially Correct, Commencal's are not made at Kinesis, they are made at a factory called ORA in Taiwan, also Kinesis does not make Santa Cruz models anymore.. Santa Cruz moved on a few years ago. Kona's are made at Hodaka. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Excellent Review PDB!! I can agree with your statements. and regarding the "Focus" it is the "Mission" only for European market. "Focus" bought the rights to use the frame from DB for European market only.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    iirc correctly santa cruz bikes are made by apro i think it is which is a company owned by giant, spez and kona and norco also come out of that factory altho not all of them. i still thought santa cruz was made in usa bit of a con really since as in the uk the prices havent changed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Apro is correct, But Owned by giant is not.. A-pro is independent, and they don't make Kona. But the others you list are correctly placed. Santa Cruz has some finished goods made in Oregon at "SAPA" great place. good work done at both A-pro and Sapa.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crankpuller
    Wasn't the Giant VT series pretty much the same thing too?

and they were around before max commencal's version
    http://img41.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=vtbd.jpg