mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Commencal Super 4 vs Trek Fuel EX

Hi guys,

Just looking for anyone to share their ride experiences with either of the two bikes mentioned.
    I have the opportunity to purchase a frame only from Trek or Commencal and i'm after a trailbike that will be able to handle the occasional 24 hour event, but more so for regular trail riding and epics.

I ride in rocky and dusty conditions in South East Australia, weigh about 70kg loaded up and tend to be pretty easy on my gear.
    I have a F120 fork that I could lower down to 100mm for the Meta 4, along with a X9 drivetrain etc etc.

Here is the Commencal;

http://www.commencal.com/news/bicycl...super41_09.jpg

And the Fuel EX;

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bike...blackwhite.jpg

I've just come off a BMC Trailfox, which was nice, but felt it possibly had more travel than I could give it justice - hence the Meta 4.
    The geometry was steep and short on the BMC, both of these potential bikes are quite a lot slacker in the head angle which I like the look of.
    I have ridden the Fuel EX before, and was a great ride - very sprightly for a 5 inch travel bike and given the geometry it was still good in tighter and twistier trails.

In the mean time i'm attempting to hook up a demo of the Commencal, to see how it rides in my conditions, but if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Wil
    Last edited by Little Willy; 07-26-2009 at 03:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So I had a chance to ride the Commencal this morning.
    Seems like a well-built bike, nicely overbuilt but not super heavy. Very stiff laterally and nice big bearings.

I really like the geometry, reasonably relaxed but still fast in the front.
    The bike really shines as you push it faster, it just stays in control.

Compared to the Fuel?
    It is a bit shorter, which helps in the tight stuff, as well as lifting the front wheel off the ground.
    The suspension isnt as plush as the Trek, though I would need more time to set up the Super 4 and possibly a shock-tune to get the most out of it.

I noticed the difference in travel, though the Treks suspension design feels very bottomless due to the full floater design anyway.

At this point, im not sure. Will have to see what prices these frames will be available to me, but I don't think you could go wrong, they are both a lot of fun with the Commencal being a little more sprightly, and both seem to be well made.

Living the High Life
    I ride a Meta 6 and am glad to have the extra travel. I looked at the Meta 5, very similar, but skipped the Meta 4 entirely in my decision.

Commencals are easy to work on, one of my favorite points about them. There are some manufacturing things, nothing serious and it seems to happen with all small manufacturers.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    /\ What "manufacturing things" are you describing?

I do like the simplicity of the Commencal frames, I don't like complicated linkage systems.

Our shop also had a couple of other Commencals sent to us - the Meta 5, the Skin and the Supreme DH. We took them out for a couple of days MTBing and had an absolute blast!

The Skin is an amzing bike, supremely fast and a great trailbike as well as XC, so light and quite comfortable too.
    The Meta 5 is very plush, awesome geometry and would be a great all-mountain machine, though a little 'over-biked' for me.
    And the DH? Wow, heaps of fun! Though I dont have a lot to compare it to, that bike just railed the rocky trails - good times!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Willy
    /\ What "manufacturing things" are you describing?
    There was a little space in the linkage on my Meta 6, 2 simple washers fixed it and its perfectly fine.

My Supreme DH has a washer on inside of the bolt head and was smaller than the threads so I couldn't get it off, it made the bolt push on the pivot instead of the frame (a little bit of slop in linkage was present). I switched to a different bolt, no slop what so ever.

Lots of smaller companies have little things like this happen, I've seen a Santa Cruz bike that have derailleur alignment problems, a M3 that doesn't quite fit washers and another one (can't remember the brand) but I had to grind down the brake adapter. All easy fixes and I don't hold it against any of the companies.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So I caved in and ordered the Super 4.

Should be here in a couple of days, going to pair it with a 2010 RP23, as the Aussie importer chose to bring the framesets in as frame only - and i didnt realise that literally mean frame only!

Will shorten my F120 to 100mm, and whack on my X9 running gear and some white syncros rims that will look mint on that bright green frame.

Speaking of fluorescent green, the Super 4 will look good next to my fluoro orange Kona Jake the Snake in the shed!

Post pics shortly

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    some pics of the frame, more of the build to come
    Attached Images Attached Images