mtbr member
    Nov 2005

We the people ... commencal chain guide

Hi guys, could do with a hand, got a friend who has a commencal dh bike that comes with a customised roox chainguide specific to the frame, it's in 2 parts, an upper cage that mounts onto the swingarm and a lower rollercoster assembley. The frame does have iscg mounts but they are only useful for the lower section of the guide as far as i can tell. Basically my friend wants a smoother quieter guide. The lower section will be easy to sort with something like a blackspire stinger but i have no ideas for the top part of the guide. Anyone got one of these frames and running anything different? I think i saw a pic of cedric using an e13 lg1 guide.
    Any ideas suggestions or pics of diffeent setups would be appreciated.
    Cheers, Ben.

mtbr member
    you can switch out the metal plates on the top with home made plastic cutting board ones but since the main pivot is super wide you are limited to adapting the upper support with some plastic. On the bottom you can put on the bottom half of a truvativ box guide for the lowest cost solution.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah i though the top guide would have to be some sort of bodge with a lower roller setup from a standard chain guide. However i saw a couple of pics of cedric gracia using an e13 LG1 guide on his supreme and wondered how. I emailed e13 and they said he was using a standard e13 light guide with no modifications. While this seems like good news i won't believe it till i see it myself as that pivot does stick out quite a lot. My mates off to the shop soon to see if it'll fit, i'll post what happens

mtbr member
    We rode the bikes last year and used an E13 LG-1 we cut the top of the boomerang off and just used the lower section mounted behing the BB. It is pretty taxing to get everything aligned but it worked very well. You can remove the top guide and the mounting post and use an LG-1 without the modifications but the chainline gets wrecked. The new 07 frames have a 150mm spaced rear hub which will offer a better chainline for the second option. Hope you are able to sort it out.