mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Commencal Bikes?

Looking for a good AM ride and stumbled across some closeout Meta 4, 5, 666 and Mini DH frames. I am looking for something that can handle roots, rocks and deep mud, can peddle to the top and handle the downs easily and is both maneuverable in the fast down and flat sections as well as slow rock gardens. Any help on these?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhills
    Looking for a good AM ride and stumbled across some closeout Meta 4, 5, 666 and Mini DH frames. I am looking for something that can handle roots, rocks and deep mud, can peddle to the top and handle the downs easily and is both maneuverable in the fast down and flat sections as well as slow rock gardens. Any help on these?
    The Meta5 is your best bet for an all-round AM bike. The Meta6 is just a little burlier and adds the option of head angle adjustment. I've been on a Meta6 for the past year and it is definitely one the very best 6" travel bikes on the market. Here's a pic of my 6.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i ride out in wva and areas like that so i am leaning towards a 6" bike as it would, hopefully, be a good trail machine and handle an occasional fr class at snowshoe or something like that. could it?

couple of questions: whats the difference between the meta 666 and 5.5? how is the bearing life? are these frames tough and durable as im not the best steward of my bikes as i ride them hard and dont clean them as often as i should. how is the warranty and distributors in the us?

its between building up a meta (leaning towards a 666), a demo built up turner rfx and building up a banshee rune.

mtbr member
    The Meta6 sounds like it would suit you just fine. I'm in NC and ride in the mtns here as well as VA and WV.

The difference between the 5 and 6 is the adjustable head angle on the 6, a slightly more robust front triangle on the 6, and the geometry is a little slacker on the 6. Bearing life seems good so far - not had to replace any of mine. The main pivot is massive and rotates on 4 big bearings. The smaller bearings in the linkage hardware just handle rotation and not much side load. Seems plenty tough to me - I use mine for everything short of full-on DH riding. BTI is the US distributor and they are good folks - they will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Hey nice ride!!! Pretty sexy bike.

Just came accross this on a BikeMag review.

I'm not sure how the rear suspension works? Is this considered a dual or multi pivot design?

Also wondering what park life would do to this bike? Could it hack Whistler?

Peace!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinunit
    I'm not sure how the rear suspension works? Is this considered a dual or multi pivot design?
    They're just single pivot bikes but the other linkages are used to linearise the stroke of the shock making it more efficient.
    I've got a 5.5, works really well and I love it.

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    actually, if i'm more of a heavy rider around 231 lbs, and into AM and minor drops, which is better ? the mini-dh or meta 6 ?

mtbr member
    I would go for the meta 6. I have an 09 Meta 6 and it is strong enough to handle minor drops and bigger and it will climb way better than the mini DH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cup
    actually, if i'm more of a heavy rider around 231 lbs, and into AM and minor drops, which is better ? the mini-dh or meta 6 ?
    The Mini DH is pretty much that, a mini DH bike. For mostly AM riding I'd stay with the Meta 6, and due to your size I'd get a 135x12mm rear hub to take advantage of the extra stiff 12mm rear axle option.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

cup
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i'm sorry but wats a 135*12mm rear hub ?
    i dont see that option on CK website.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/new-pro...hru-axle-hubs/

It's still a prototype though. Other manufacturers like Hope do make ones just now

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How are the Meta 666 LTD's? I have a chance to pick one up for a really really good price.

mtbr member
    I have a meta 6 VIP and love it. A little heavy at 8.5 lbs frame only but a great ride.

Living the High Life
    I have a Meta 6 in the build process right now. I'm 220lbs and have a Hope Pro II with a 10mm thru axle for it. I'm replacing a Spec Enduro, the DHX air on it was not very pedal friendly. I still wanted a burlier XC bike with a XC shock and ISCG tabs. Narrowed it down to a Tracer and a Meta 6, the Tracers was just too damn expensive.

I'm waiting on a Rock Shox Monarch right now. I need to decide between a Float/Talas/Vanilla 36. I have a travel adjust fork right now (Kowa 160ss) and its going on my 4X bike. I hardly use the travel adjust, its nice but I could do fine without it. So its really down to the Float or Vanilla. The Float is much lighter, but the Van is coil and coils feel nice.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    What about the 5.5? How much will the 5.5 handle? For pedaling uphill it seems like the better option. It seems like the sweet spot for do-it-all AM riding.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

NedwannaB

Looking at these too...

Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    What about the 5.5? How much will the 5.5 handle? For pedaling uphill it seems like the better option. It seems like the sweet spot for do-it-all AM riding.
    ....only draw back is that you can get a new pre-DWL Turner 5 Spot frame for about the same price. Hand built USA product vs. ? The Meta's are a nice all round setup though for sure. Let conscience be our guide....

mtbr member
    The Meta 5.5 series are super fun ripper trail bikes, but they more on the cross-country end of the spectrum. For true all mountain, the Meta 6 is the way to go. The Meta 6 is built a bit stronger, and the parts on it are more suited to the ride style you are describing. Warranties are handled fairly quickly by BTI. We have had one '08 Mini DH in for warranty, and they sent us an '09 within a couple weeks with no hassle. All in all, if you're looking for an awesome trail/AM bike for a killer deal, pick up an '08 complete Meta 666 LTD.