mtbr member

Commencal 5.5.3 vs SC Heckler

I ride mostly Moab, wasatch mountains, etc.

I am trying to sell an old hard tail so I can purchase either the Santa Cruz Heckler or the Commencal 5.5.3, please help!

Here are the setups:

SC:
    Fork: Rock Shox Revelation 426 Dual Air
    Shock: Fox Float R High Volume
    Front Travel: 5.5in
    Rear Travel: 6in
    Wheelset: Mavic 321 rims w/ Shimano M756 HT hubs (XT)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX FD-M660
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
    Shifters: SRAM X.7 triggers
    Brakes: Avid Juicy 5
    Tire Size: 26 x 2.35in

Commencal
    Fork: Marzocchi 2008 XC600 TST2
    Shock: Fox Float R
    Front Travel: 5.5in
    Rear Travel: 5.5in
    Wheelset: [F ]Commencal DeLuxe rim and hub [R] Commencal Delux rim Shimano FH-M475 hub
    Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore FD-M580
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7
    Shifters: SRAM X5 Trigger
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Three
    Tire Size: 26 x 2.1in

I am an intermediate rider, just starting to take some smaller sized drops. I ride fairly fast and ride a few times a week. Both bikes are in my price range and the SC is only slightly more than the Commencal.

Opinions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Meta vs. Heckler

I have ridden both frames. The Commencal suspension design is superior. The Heckler frame is lighter. The geometry is similar.
    It looks as if the Heckler you're considering has a better build, especially the fork.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When buying a bike imo you should not look at the speck that much but the frame. It's much easier to upgrade components than frame and you start to do it anyway! And the frame is that makes your ride from the start.

Haven't ridden right size Heckler myself but like my Meta a lot and it has improved my skills way more than I could have ever expected. Each ride (one to three times a week) I do something that I didn't do before.

Commie is a young brand but at least it's more exotic. Eighter way you can't go wrong and you'll have a lot of fun!

What could go wrong ...
    Chainlove had the Commencal 5.5.3 for sale at around $1100 today .. dont know if they have any left .. incredible buy imo
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I almost picked one up on Chainlove this afternoon but wasn't sure if it was exactly what I wanted right now. Anyone know what year bike they are saying. My guess is that its probably a 2008 on closeout but the color (black/blue) has me confused. I can't find that color on the Commencal website or anywhere else for that matter.

If anyone has received one from Chainlove or BackCountry, I'd be interested to know what color frame you received.

Seems like a real nice ride. I may take the plunge if it surfaces again.

mtbr member
    I was looking them up and saw a picture of the 2007 and the bike on Chainlove is definitely not an '07. The frame and specs look pretty much the same from memory as the 08 5.5.3 on the Commencal website. I am not sure what the deal is with the blue but I wouldn't worry too much about that with a sick bike for a sick price...good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I checked out the Commencal Owners website and some folks had photos posted of their 2008 5.5.3's and some were in the blue color. Looks like they sold them in blue and red.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I own both Heckler is far superior, in all ways, nothing wrong with the Meta, just not as good IMHO , I do like the slacker head angle of the Meta, it's very flexi in comparison to the Heckler and no where near as strongly built.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Heckler Meta

Can you explain "far superior". Better pedaling? Better suspension quality? Higher/lower bottom bracket? Lighter? Heavier? More stable in the corners?

mtbr member
    May 2009

Good job!

I just bought the commencal meta 5.5.3 from chainlove a few weeks ago. It came XL, red/black color - its the 08 model. Its Siiiick. I havent tuned it up at all, just put it together and aired up the shocks, and took it for a spin. Its real bouncy, and honestly, it doesnt really feel that heavy to me, but I am no expert. The grips gotta go though, one ride full of bunny hops and they are already chewed up. Other than that, I think its great - the real test will be after some heavy usage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brocelif
    Can you explain "far superior". Better pedaling? Better suspension quality? Higher/lower bottom bracket? Lighter? Heavier? More stable in the corners?
    Climbs better for me no flex in the swing arm, the Meta 5 starts to rub the brake and climbs out of the gears, would like to try a maxle, down hill the Heckler feels more in control, less flex again , I really like the slacker feel of the Meta , no high speed wobble on the Heckler at the bottom of fast hills with a tight turn, weight wise my Meta is a pound lighter, the Meta is still a great bike, I think a maxle back end would help, for me the Heckler just has the edge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Heckler vs. Meta

Nice review. I have a Meta 6 and a Super 4. The Super 4 is super flexy. The Meta 6 only a bit flexy for my 155 lbs.