wuss

Chumba XCL 2007 vs. Commencal Meta 5.5.x 2008

I'm continuing my quest for a new frame, and currently contemplating between the meta 5.5.x and the Chumba XCL. I don't have a chance to test ride either...

I was all set for getting the XCL until a store suddenly put the Meta 5.5.3 (complete bike) on discount for the price of the XCL frame. I'm mainly interested in the Meta frame, but I could throw the components on my wives bike and they would be a definite upgrade.

Has anyone tried both? I would understand that the XCL being 2007 is slightly heavier then this years model, but the geometry is still the same? It comes with a DHX air shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I test rode a Meta 5.5 and really liked the feel of the suspension. A little wiggle in the back though but I'm a heavy rider. Never rode an XCL. Too bad you can't get a Knolly Endorphin! Very very stiff along with super linkage rate

wuss
    Thanks for the reply. I spoke with the Chumba dealer and he made a good offer on the frame. I ended up taking it home with me. Just had my first spin and it feels stunning! I just rode for 10 minutes to make sure everything is attached right (and tune the deraileurs) but I was already riding familiar places faster then ever.

My wife was wondering why my smile was so unusually wide when I returned, so I guess that means it worked well

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cool. What fork did you put on it?

wuss
    I put all my old components, so the fork is a Pike 454 U-Turn (coil).

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    little wiggle in the back though but I'm a heavy rider
    No wonder you need a massive bike!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot