mtbr member

Chainguide for '06 Supreme DH?

Hi guys, once again I found myself a little stuck here with my new to me Supreme.
    I got an incredible deal on a used '06 VIP Supreme DH frame and right now I found out that my e-thirteen chainguide will not work with it, does Commencal make a special chainguide for the Supremes or am I screwed for buying used.
    Advise will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I am not sure about your '06 but I am running an MRP on my '09. I would send an email or call up both MRP or e13 or check out there websites to find out what would work for the bike. Do you know if it has ISCG mounts?

mtbr member
    Ok so I just checked out both websites and it looks like e13 doesn't have anything that will fit the '06 according to their '06 Fit Chart:
    http://www.e13components.com/support_06fitchart.html

I would check out MRP then...the info below is from their website:
    MRP - If you have any questions, we encourage you to email us at info@mrpbike.com or call us at 800-999-8277, and we will provide assistance immediately. Thank you for choosing MRP!
    Chain Guide Fit Matrix
    http://www.mrpbike.com/content/MRP.Fit.Matrix.pdf

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot bro, I did check e-13's fitting chart already and yeah, no fit. But last night I emailed Commencal directly and got a reply a little while ago, it appears the '06 Supremes DH were designed to use their own brand CG, and there is no way to fit any other guide.
    Their CG consists of two parts, the top one bolts on to the swing arm in a fitting designed for it and the bottom part screws in the ISCG holes.
    The not so bad thing is that I can order the CG from Commencal headquarters in France.
    Once again I really appreciate your time.

Eduardo

mtbr member
    No worries man. I am glad to hear that they do have something for you, and that it is available. Enjoy the bike and have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lalocotequinta
    Thanks a lot bro, I did check e-13's fitting chart already and yeah, no fit. But last night I emailed Commencal directly and got a reply a little while ago, it appears the '06 Supremes DH were designed to use their own brand CG, and there is no way to fit any other guide.
    Their CG consists of two parts, the top one bolts on to the swing arm in a fitting designed for it and the bottom part screws in the ISCG holes.
    The not so bad thing is that I can order the CG from Commencal headquarters in France.
    Once again I really appreciate your time.

Eduardo
    hey man

you can fit other guides onto the supreme dh's but you will not get a perfect chainline or setup. i do think the commencal designers were drunk/high/getting altitude sickness in andorra when they designed the old supreme dh.

i ran a LG-1 on my Supreme DH last year without much hassle! e-mail e13 directly and they will hook you up good with some instructions!

if you do not want to do this or go through the hassle of running another chainguide i have a stock chain guide from a 07 Supreme DH here you can buy if you want, where are you located?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solar3
    hey man

you can fit other guides onto the supreme dh's but you will not get a perfect chainline or setup. i do think the commencal designers were drunk/high/getting altitude sickness in andorra when they designed the old supreme dh.

i ran a LG-1 on my Supreme DH last year without much hassle! e-mail e13 directly and they will hook you up good with some instructions!

if you do not want to do this or go through the hassle of running another chainguide i have a stock chain guide from a 07 Supreme DH here you can buy if you want, where are you located?
    Thanks dude, I just dropped of my frame at my LBS to have them mount my LG 1, I did email e-13 and the dude who replied to me said it would be "tricky" to fit any other CG but never mention any instructions. Anyway I did some extended research and found some threads somewhere on a couple forums and also called some guys selling their Supremes with e-13's at pinkbike, one of them was very cool and explained me how he mounted his.
    So hopefully I'll have it back and running soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just bought a 2006 Supreme DH also, and the previous owner had modded an e13 device to get it to fit...It was giving me some problems but it's sorted now...

Have only ridden it in anger once since I got it tightened up but it is an amazing bike, so tight and plush..how do you like yours?

Also do you know where can you get a mech hanger for them?

mtbr member
    Dude, I still haven't had my frame back . I was told by my LBS the LG-1 are sold out from e-13 and need to wait a few more days to get it, mod it and mount it. Oh well, cest la vie.
    The hanger you can order it directly from the Commencal website, they have a ton of different ones, but it may be easier to ask your LBS to order it for you, they have to order it from BTI though since they are the ones that distribute the brand in USA.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you drop Philip a line at support@e13 components.com, he will help you out with setting up an LG1 on the Supreme. It's not as easy as some other bikes, but it can be done. Athertons, Gracia, Baloochi, all raced on Supremes with e13 LG1's in 2006. I set a few of them up myself, so I'm positive that it can be done. I think that Philip has some written instructions with pictures.

Hope this helps

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Thanks Dave, I did email Phil and I'm waiting to hear from him, but anyways I have to wait until e-13 starts shipping the LG1 out since they are sold out here in MA and back ordered.

After all this hustle, the Supreme better be good.

Former Ninja
    Jul 2005
    Hey guys,
    The 06 Supreme has a 68mm BB shell, and a 150mm rear hub...which is quite an odd design choice for this type of frame. Commencal has now changed this up for 09 with a proper 83mm bottom bracket (57.5mm chainline).

Option #1 (best):
    To get this bike to work with a regular chainguide, you either need the proper size cranks (68/73mm bottom bracket by 57.5mm chainline) or you need to run a 50mm chainline crankset with the chainring in the outer position and space the LG1 backplate out a lot. This gives you the best chainline possible with a 50mm crankset. This method won't work with the SRS.

Option #2:
    If you run a 50mm chainline crankset, you also need to deal with the issue of the main suspension pivot rubbing the backside of the top slider nuts. One solution is to run nuts with no nylock (thinner by 1-2mm) and run an extra 1mm BB spacer on the driveside and only 1.5mm of spacers on the non-drive side, giving you a teeny bit more clearance and a 51mm chainline. You'll still have a pretty bad chainline, but the guide will clear, which is certainly not optimal.

I don't have any pictures of this setup, but there are several threads on the 07 Supreme (with 73mm bb shell) that have a very similar issue. With both options, you will most likely need to grind the granny tabs completely flush, as you'll need every last millimeter of room.

Cheers,
    philip @ e*thirteen

mtbr member
    Hey Phil, I just forwarded your email to JRA so hopefully I can get the frame back soon, what a pain in the neck it's been but oh well, I paid only $150 for the frame and it's mint.

Thanks very much for your reply and info.

Eduardo

mtbr member
    wat about the gamut guides?
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.