mtbr member

Best shock and tune for 2015 META TRAIL (120mm travel / 7.5 x 2)

I want to build a short travel FS bike as a backup bike and found a great deal on a 2015 META TRAIL frame and it has the geometry I want but I am not sure what shock to put on it and what tune would be ideal.

According to the website, most smaller to medium size shocks except CCDB Inline will fit the frame and the size is 7.5 x 2.5" (190 x 51 mm). I emailed Commencal for recommendations and the response was:

"Regarding the shock tunes, we were using Light compression, light rebound and firm pedal setting."

They did not recommend any specific shock or even brand except to avoid CC b/c it doesn't fit. The problem is I am having a hard time finding any shock with a low compression / low rebound tune

I will be pairing it with a Fox Float Factory 32 120mm fork that I already have.

Does anybody who knows or has this bike have any recommendations for shocks or tunes for this bike?

I would like to keep the budget reasonable because it is a 2nd bike and my primary trail bike is all blinged out with expensive parts. Just for sh!t$ and giggles, I am even tempted to try one of the knock-off shocks you see on amazon since they seem to get pretty good reviews, but then part of me thinks I will be mad at myself when I hate it or it fails in the middle of a ride!

https://www.amazon.com/DNM-Mountain-...Z3X8KB92T47Y2H

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    I want to build a short travel FS bike as a backup bike and found a great deal on a 2015 META TRAIL frame and it has the geometry I want but I am not sure what shock to put on it and what tune would be ideal.

According to the website, most smaller to medium size shocks except CCDB Inline will fit the frame and the size is 7.5 x 2.5" (190 x 51 mm). I emailed Commencal for recommendations and the response was:

"Regarding the shock tunes, we were using Light compression, light rebound and firm pedal setting."

They did not recommend any specific shock or even brand except to avoid CC b/c it doesn't fit. The problem is I am having a hard time finding any shock with a low compression / low rebound tune

I will be pairing it with a Fox Float Factory 32 120mm fork that I already have.

Does anybody who knows or has this bike have any recommendations for shocks or tunes for this bike?

I would like to keep the budget reasonable because it is a 2nd bike and my primary trail bike is all blinged out with expensive parts. Just for sh!t$ and giggles, I am even tempted to try one of the knock-off shocks you see on amazon since they seem to get pretty good reviews, but then part of me thinks I will be mad at myself when I hate it or it fails in the middle of a ride!

https://www.amazon.com/DNM-Mountain-...Z3X8KB92T47Y2H

Thanks for your help!
    Late reply, I ran a monarch rt3 on mine and it felt pretty good