mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Anyone waiting on a pre-order v4.2?

I am and it's driving me crazy. I'm just praying for smooth shipping and customs workflow. Get me my bike now!

Getting the AM v4.2 Race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'm waiting for the same bike! V4.2 race. I can't wait!
    I'm hoping they can get it shipped out before thanksgiving too, since it's being released the day before. Kind of dumb to do that in my opinion though..

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bross_48 View Post
    I'm waiting for the same bike! V4.2 race. I can't wait!
    I'm hoping they can get it shipped out before thanksgiving too, since it's being released the day before. Kind of dumb to do that in my opinion though..
    They did ship! At least mine did.

mtbr member
    Did either of you order the medium Race? Now that the others are shown as in stock on the website, the M is not listed.

Hope it's not a long wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat S. View Post
    Did either of you order the medium Race? Now that the others are shown as in stock on the website, the M is not listed.

Hope it's not a long wait.
    I ordered a large. I'm curious about how many they actually stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I ordered a Large as well. According to the tracking information, mine should be arriving today! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning now! haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I ordered a Large as well. According to the tracking information, mine should be arriving today! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning now! haha
    Take a pic! Mine's not scheduled to be here until Thursday but it's at a Fedex facility about 2.5 hours away (long enough to not hop in my car now and go).

I'm in the same boat. My wife is sick of my Fedex updates.

mtbr member
    Wow, was just notified that the first shipment of Medium Race models was pre-sold out.

Next shipment somewhere around the beginning of the new year.

Wait, or bump up to Eagle. Darn

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Bike is all put together! However I do need to shorten the hose on the reverb dropper post quite a bit and it needs a bleed. It started leaking oil too once I got it on, so I'm going to give it a fresh bleed and pump up the PSI (which was down to like 125 psi, where it's supposed to be at 225-250) and see if that fixes it.

It won't let me upload any photos right now and so tomorrow I'll upload some online and post them. The bike is definitely a beauty though! A quick pedal up and down the road was fun, this bike will definitely be a blast!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Bike is all put together! However I do need to shorten the hose on the reverb dropper post quite a bit and it needs a bleed. It started leaking oil too once I got it on, so I'm going to give it a fresh bleed and pump up the PSI (which was down to like 125 psi, where it's supposed to be at 225-250) and see if that fixes it.

It won't let me upload any photos right now and so tomorrow I'll upload some online and post them. The bike is definitely a beauty though! A quick pedal up and down the road was fun, this bike will definitely be a blast!!
    Got mine and super stoked however I did not receive a bleed kit with my Reverb. Did you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I didn't get the bleed kit either, which I feel like we should have, since it comes with the post when you buy it separately.
    I did buy one, but have also found that my reverb is faulty out of the box. It doesn't hold oil so I'm taking it my local shop tonight to see if they can figure it out real quick or just send it back to rockshox.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Anyone waiting on a pre-order v4.2?-20161128_201956.jpg

Here she is. super stoked to take her out soon and see how she does in the local trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161128_201956.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	1107963

Here she is. super stoked to take her out soon and see how she does in the local trails.
    I just got my Large in yesterday. I had to shorten the Reverb and do a quick bleed on the remote. I agree the bleed kit should be included. I did a quick ride on a local loop and this bike is awesome. My previous 2 bikes were a Pivot Mach 6 and a 2016 carbon Stumpjumper with the upgraded Ohlins shock and Pike fork. The Meta is longer, slacker and heavier than either of the other bikes. It should be slower in the flatter, tamer trails but it isn't. This bike just rolls well and carries speed much better than you would think. It is also the quietest and smoothest bike I've ever ridden. I don't know if it is the overall design or the new metric shock, but it works great. I never felt the need to use the lockout lever on the climbs. I ran it full open every where and it was very supportive and no bobbing even with 30% sag front and rear. There is a particularly steep and loose climb and when I got to the top and looked down I realized I made it up in 2 gears higher than I needed on my previous bikes.On the following downhill there is a rough, ledgy section that you can jump and this thing is so controlled in the air. It just stays very straight and calm in the air and on the landing. Love this bike! I can't wait to take it to Moab and the bike park at Angel Fire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Anyone waiting on a pre-order v4.2?-img_8141.jpg

Took her out on the maiden voyage. She's a beaut. I will need to dial in the suspension a bit but it felt pretty damn good. I was mildly concerned about climbing but was pleasantly surprised.

My Reverb needed the same treatment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    You guys are making me want to go ride so bad! Tomorrow I will finally be able to go out for my first ride, even though it'll probably be a mudfest, it's been raining for a couple of weeks now and isn't supposed to clear up this weekend.
    Glad to hear it's climbing well too!

Do either of you have any insight on tuning the Super Deluxe RC3 shock? I haven't found much info on it, and would like to know more about how it's designed and how to get the most out of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You guys are making me want to go ride so bad! Tomorrow I will finally be able to go out for my first ride, even though it'll probably be a mudfest, it's been raining for a couple of weeks now and isn't supposed to clear up this weekend.
    Glad to hear it's climbing well too!

Do either of you have any insight on tuning the Super Deluxe RC3 shock? I haven't found much info on it, and would like to know more about how it's designed and how to get the most out of it.

It's pretty plush out of the box. I'm on the heavier side, so I'd like to add a volume spacer. Apparently it comes with two of them. Stephane at Commencal told me they felt it was too progressive with 3. I think I might be a good case for it. Honestly though, I could ride as is with no real issues. I'm running at psi pretty much equal to my weight and I'm at 25% sag. For rebound, I ran three clicks off full and it was cool. I definitely want to keep playing around with it. Overall, it feels really good. I was coming off of a Fox Nude (Float on a Scott bike), which was fine but slightly harsh for me. This feels much better.

I did a lunch ride today and it's just blisteringly fast on rough downhill sections. It's also dead quiet, which is nice. I said it before and I'll say it again. I think this bike climbs exceptionally well. I expected some wallowing but acceptable behavior. So far it's exceeding my expectations. I did a little jump/drop as well where I would normally expect a bit of harshness (slamming down) and it felt like I didn't even leave the ground.

It was really muddy here too. Thing rails turns in a scary way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    It's pretty plush out of the box. I'm on the heavier side, so I'd like to add a volume spacer. Apparently it comes with two of them. Stephane at Commencal told me they felt it was too progressive with 3. I think I might be a good case for it. Honestly though, I could ride as is with no real issues. I'm running at psi pretty much equal to my weight and I'm at 25% sag. For rebound, I ran three clicks off full and it was cool. I definitely want to keep playing around with it. Overall, it feels really good. I was coming off of a Fox Nude (Float on a Scott bike), which was fine but slightly harsh for me. This feels much better.

I did a lunch ride today and it's just blisteringly fast on rough downhill sections. It's also dead quiet, which is nice. I said it before and I'll say it again. I think this bike climbs exceptionally well. I expected some wallowing but acceptable behavior. So far it's exceeding my expectations. I did a little jump/drop as well where I would normally expect a bit of harshness (slamming down) and it felt like I didn't even leave the ground.

It was really muddy here too. Thing rails turns in a scary way.
    I talked w/ Commencal this morning (spoke with Alec) and he said the same thing about the shock. I think I'm going to keep it at 2 spacers, I'm only 150 pounds so the progressiveness should be enough for me.
    I've been reading that this shock works really well at 30% sag so I'm starting with that and have it set 2 clicks off full for rebound but have only tested it in my garage haha

Hearing all of this makes me even more excited about taking the bike out tomorrow to really test it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm 185 geared up and running 190 lbs in the shock with the stock volume spacers and rebound in 4 from full open. This shock/bike combo is amazing. Very quiet and silky smooth and controlled. I don't even know why there is a 3 position lever. It climbs great fully open. I am still very pleasantly surprised at how well this bike climbs. I am probably going to get a Meta TR for the flatter, tamer local trails. These 2 bikes together will cost less than my Pivot or Specialized carbon "wunderbike" did. I'm totally over the carbon thing. You realize overall weight is overrated when you ride a bike like this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by endoguru View Post
    I'm 185 geared up and running 190 lbs in the shock with the stock volume spacers and rebound in 4 from full open. This shock/bike combo is amazing. Very quiet and silky smooth and controlled. I don't even know why there is a 3 position lever. It climbs great fully open. I am still very pleasantly surprised at how well this bike climbs. I am probably going to get a Meta TR for the flatter, tamer local trails. These 2 bikes together will cost less than my Pivot or Specialized carbon "wunderbike" did. I'm totally over the carbon thing. You realize overall weight is overrated when you ride a bike like this.
    Very true. I was running a carbon rig previously. I really liked the bike (Scott Genius 910) and would happily ride it anywhere, but it's a very expensive bike compared and provides a weight savings of about 2.5lbs. I don't even notice it and I now have much better suspension AFAIK.

The only current criticisms I have is that the paint is really not that great. It scratches incredibly easy. I got some clear Gorrilla tape and ran it up the bottom of the down tube, along the seat stays, and on the non-drive-side chain stay. Also, the seat stays are really wide and my heels to hit though I'm not very duck footed and it isn't an issue that will truly bug me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I bought the Race model because I didn't want to deal with paint scratches. I wasn't sure what I was going to think about the non-color, but it is pretty cool looking. My wife thinks it is the best looking bike I've owned.

I do touch the chain stays on occasion, but only pedaling on flat sections, not climbing or descending. It is not a big issue and I assume it will go away as I adjust my foot position. I just put a pair of Pedal Innovations flat pedals on, which have a longer than normal cage. If it ever quits raining and the trails dry out, I'll be curious to see if they make a difference.

Out of curiosity, what size frame are you riding and do you know the actual bike weight? Mine is a Large with all the stock components, not yet converted to tubeless. I'm guessing it's in the 31-32 lb range. I might throw some carbon wheels on at some point to knock a little weight off. Not sure if it is worth the money though, because it handles great just like it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Awesome to see you guys all got your bikes. I can't wait to upgrade to one of the FS bikes in the future. I've had my AM HT for about two weeks and I absolutely love the bike. Mine came with the KS Eten(entry quality) and it's faulty out of the box too. Will have to get it serviced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by endoguru View Post
    I bought the Race model because I didn't want to deal with paint scratches. I wasn't sure what I was going to think about the non-color, but it is pretty cool looking. My wife thinks it is the best looking bike I've owned.

I do touch the chain stays on occasion, but only pedaling on flat sections, not climbing or descending. It is not a big issue and I assume it will go away as I adjust my foot position. I just put a pair of Pedal Innovations flat pedals on, which have a longer than normal cage. If it ever quits raining and the trails dry out, I'll be curious to see if they make a difference.

Out of curiosity, what size frame are you riding and do you know the actual bike weight? Mine is a Large with all the stock components, not yet converted to tubeless. I'm guessing it's in the 31-32 lb range. I might throw some carbon wheels on at some point to knock a little weight off. Not sure if it is worth the money though, because it handles great just like it is.
    I'm riding large and haven't weighed it. It feels just fine. I'm really not concerned about the weight.

I did discover something frustrating. The rims and tires are "tubeless ready", which I interpret as, 'buy some stems and sealant and you're good to go', but the rims aren't taped. I kind of hate that. I've had many "TR" rims that come with the tape...c'mon now.

Still, 3rd ride today and loving it more and more. 18 miles in. Maxle loosened, but all is well. The rims feel sturdy enough. I know people destroyed the Ride Alpha hubs of yesteryear rather quickly. The formulas are a known quantity, and should be suitable for trail riding and moderate park riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'm riding large and haven't weighed it. It feels just fine. I'm really not concerned about the weight.

I did discover something frustrating. The rims and tires are "tubeless ready", which I interpret as, 'buy some stems and sealant and you're good to go', but the rims aren't taped. I kind of hate that. I've had many "TR" rims that come with the tape...c'mon now.

Still, 3rd ride today and loving it more and more. 18 miles in. Maxle loosened, but all is well. The rims feel sturdy enough. I know people destroyed the Ride Alpha hubs of yesteryear rather quickly. The formulas are a known quantity, and should be suitable for trail riding and moderate park riding.
    I haven't weighed my Large either, but it feels slightly lighter (both riding and in the garage) than my 2015 Spec. Enduro which was about 32 pounds.
    One ride in (17 miles and 4000 feet of climbing) and I love the bike. Exceeded expectations in every category. Haven't had any major issues, just the heels rubbing on the stays, having to adjust my seat height by hand since my new reverb post won't be in until Wednesday (what did people do before dropper posts, it was horrible! haha), and when climbs got super steep, the bike started to finally feel slightly heavy and long. I still give it a 9/10 for my first ride.

That is a little frustrating about the TR not being truly "ready" haha good to know though, as I'll be converting to tubeless soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone waiting on a pre-order v4.2?-lrm_export_20161204_111010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm not that concerned with weight either, I was just curious. I've had TR ready tires on other bikes come without tape as well, so I kind of expect I'm going to have to install the tape as part of the process. Did mine this weekend. It has been raining nonstop for 3 days, so I don't know when the trails are going to be dry enough for a serious ride. I figure a wheel upgrade will probably be in the future. For the price of the bike I expect there will be some compromises made so it doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned with the quality of the frame and suspension than expensive wheel sets. I'm going to ride these until they self destruct. The frame and suspension are really good, as well as that 1x12 to help get my tired old legs up the hill.

I have to mention the service from Stephane and Alex at Commencal USA. I read a few bad reviews about the service, so I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue. The service and support has been great. The bike shipped on the day that was promised. It came out of the box with a kinked brake line. I called and Alex said he would send a new brake so I wouldn't have to mess with bleeding a new line. The brake arrived 2 days later and they included a prepaid shipping label in the box so returning the original brake was painless. I've had much worse service from local bike shops. I don't know if the bad reviews were when Commencal was new to the US market, but my experience with them has been great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Regarding service...I agree. They've been very responsive. They even sent me a bleed kit after I inquired about it. Funny thing is, a shop guy here told me that is was Sram who wasn't sending bleed kits with droppers that basically all require bleeds out of the box, so it wasn't even a Commencal issue. Service is what makes or breaks a company. So far, so good Commencal. Keep it up. This bike is truly a winner.

I do need two more rubber hose grommets (or whatever the hell they're called). I pulled both into the frame monkeying around with the dropper hose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Regarding service...I agree. They've been very responsive. They even sent me a bleed kit after I inquired about it. Funny thing is, a shop guy here told me that is was Sram who wasn't sending bleed kits with droppers that basically all require bleeds out of the box, so it wasn't even a Commencal issue. Service is what makes or breaks a company. So far, so good Commencal. Keep it up. This bike is truly a winner.

I do need two more rubber hose grommets (or whatever the hell they're called). I pulled both into the frame monkeying around with the dropper hose.
    try taking the rear wheel off, and behind the linkage by the bottom bracket, there's a hole that you should be able to get the rubber inserts out of. I dropped the seat post one into the frame and found it in there. I had to use a small pick (screwdriver might work too) to reach into it and secure the rubber insert though, my fingers were a little too big.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quick question for those who pre-ordered: Does CommencalUSA charge your credit card immediately when you place the order or when they ship?