mtbr member
    Feb 2005

2010 Super 4 - Why 120mm Fork Travel?

So I see that Commencal have specced their Super 4 bikes with 120mm RockShox forks rather than the 100mm forks for '09.

So either the frames have changed to accomodate the longer A2C or they've just kept the same geometry and added a longer fork - does anyone know the deal?

I understand that there are plenty of bikes out there that run different travel front/rear or some riders will prefer bikes with more/less travel than other riders. It just seems that for a bike that looks relatively unchanged for 09 to 2010, an extra 20mm travel (effectively 20% more travel) is a lot, particularly with a stock bike.

I own an '09 Super 4 that I have a 100mm fork on, and it handles beautifully.
    I'm sure the bike would be more stable on the downhills with 120mm travel on the front, but I don't see how it would improve the bikes handling in any other areas, especially considering these OEM forks are fixed travel, not adjustable.

Anyone keen to shed some light on this for me?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    100 to 120 prolly isn't a huge deal in this case. I looked at the geometry charts and it already has a pretty steep ST angle at 74* so figure this maybe kicks it back to 73*ish which is still within xc range the HT will be a bit slacker too. Not sure how this affects weight distribution or climbing ability.