Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

'07 IH MkIII vs Commencal meta5.5

anyone tried these side by side or have ridden both? Still procrasting about my 1st fs. I was all set for the MkIII but then a mate parking lot demo'd both and voted for the meta by a long way. Oh, neither bikes are available for me to demo. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You picked two bewdy's

What sort of riding do you do/intend... rough trail.... trails with drops... trails & stunts.... trails & DH runs... stunts & stunts

First thought, being your first squish, is to go Iron Horse, but tell us more...

really you can't go wrong with either !~!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have a meta 5 VIP and I love it. Climbs well, Descends well.
    I haven't weighed it, but i would say its between 30-33lbs.
    I know someone with a MKIII and it is a hell of a lot heavier, closer to 40lbs.

A few friends have bikes close to 40lbs and can pedal them all day, Get the one you like the feel of most and get as fit as you need to be to get it round and about!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    All Mountain:

Currently the trails I usually ride on have been described to me as technical, lots of roots, rocks, some jumps but no stunts. I also ride a little dh, slowly as I'm not that good a rider, and have been practicing dj a bit more lately (beginner level).

barry_kellett99:

interesting response about MkIII's weight as my mate's exact comment after testing it was More bunce then Mr Blobby and frikin heavy. More like a Freeride goatie beard wearing bike."

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You won't find much difference in frame weights.

The build makes the most difference in a bike (as you prolly know ) weight.

My Titus Moto Lite has been at 28 pounds and has been at 33 pounds.

I don't think anybody put gold in the frame to make it heavier.

Also be aware that suspension setup can make or break a short ride, as well as the build kits can influence how you feel about a bike. Parking lots are not much chop to find out how a bike performs.

Take short ride reports with a grain of salt.... especially if it's not you riding.

It really is a pity you cannot try both bikes to see how the frame dimensions and angles fit you.

The IH certainly makes mince meat out of your rough terrain with it's design. It will climb extremely well. The only drawback (and only MY opinion) is the bike head angle and seat angles are not slack enough for me.... perhaps too far forward for my liking but most 5" bikes are like this.... a taller fork can cure this.

There are many happy Com Meta owners as their are IH owners.... so I'm just rambling on not helping you

Hopefully you can get some owners opinions so you can listen carefully to the attributes they like. People posting up and say their bike is the greatest but do not say why are a waste of time... you need to find out why they like it and where they are coming from.

If you haven't already done... use the search function to search for threads about each bike and enjoy the reading.

I would buy an IH, but more like a 6Point though ....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    They are the exact 2 bikes I narrowed it down to. I reckon they are the 2 best bikes to pick from and both should be awesome.

I've got the 07 MKiii and it is very very good.

I don't understand the weight comments above - My 07 MKiii expert is about 31lbs almost stock except with flat pedals, shorter stem and bash ring (so about 30lbs stock). The Meta5 is about 28-29lbs. So if you add a Pike with 20mm instead of the whimpier Fox and QR they are about the same weight (+ the fatter front tyre on the MKiii). Actually I am almost certain that the 07MKiii frame is lighter than the Meta5 frames.

And with the right set up (quite a lot of sag and slowish rebound) the MKiii is quite remarkably not bobby - basically none when seated pedaling. Stand up stomping will make it bounce somewhat but still not that much - less than the fork.

The Meta5 has a very slightly slacker HA at 68.5 Vs 69 for the 07MKiii.

I never got a chance to ride a meta5 but from all accounts they are also very good. Pretty safe picking either of those 2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by chewee
    They are the exact 2 bikes I narrowed it down to. I reckon they are the 2 best bikes to pick from and both should be awesome.

I've got the 07 MKiii and it is very very good.

I don't understand the weight comments above - My 07 MKiii expert is about 31lbs almost stock except with flat pedals, shorter stem and bash ring (so about 30lbs stock). The Meta5 is about 28-29lbs. So if you add a Pike with 20mm instead of the whimpier Fox and QR they are about the same weight (+ the fatter front tyre on the MKiii). Actually I am almost certain that the 07MKiii frame is lighter than the Meta5 frames.

And with the right set up (quite a lot of sag and slowish rebound) the MKiii is quite remarkably not bobby - basically none when seated pedaling. Stand up stomping will make it bounce somewhat but still not that much - less than the fork.

The Meta5 has a very slightly slacker HA at 68.5 Vs 69 for the 07MKiii.

I never got a chance to ride a meta5 but from all accounts they are also very good. Pretty safe picking either of those 2.
    I was only basing the weight comment on the build of the bike the guy I knew had. To be honest, his bike is built a lot heavier than mine. I think he has coil lyriks and proper beefy wheels (Cant remember which!)

The meta frame is definitely not light, but its a good tough one.

I would go with which ever one you like the look of

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Meta 5

Hey Knobbly2.35,

I was in the same boat as you last year when I was looking for my first fully. I spent alot of time reading and looking and I was fortunate to get to try a Meta 5. I only had a quick ride but I was really happy. I weigh 225lbs and ride mostly what you have described but with some drops as well.
    I really enjoy the Meta 5 and don't run the propedal at all except for on the road to the hill. I have yet to feel any pedal bob when riding but I do ride with alot of pressure in the rear shock. The bike climbs really well and the rear sticks to the ground really well. I have climbed some stuff where my Stumpy hardtail would not stick.
    The IH MKIII looks like a sweet bike and I have read alot of positive comments on it as well.
    Good luck with your choice and let me know what you get.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks everyone for their comments. From the way it sounds, it looks like whichever frame is available to me first will be the one I probably end up getting. Oh, All Mountain, I had considered (still considering?) the 6Point too but it would probably be wasted on me. If either of the 5" bikes can do trail, light dh and dj I'd be very happy indeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry_kellett99
    I was only basing the weight comment on the build of the bike the guy I knew had. To be honest, his bike is built a lot heavier than mine. I think he has coil lyriks and proper beefy wheels (Cant remember which!)

The meta frame is definitely not light, but its a good tough one.

I would go with which ever one you like the look of
    If anything the MarkIII 07 build will come out slightly lighter. The Mark III is around 6.5 and the Commencal 1/2 pound heavier ...

PDB
    SUFD
    Want to go green? Want to be low impact?
    Buy 2nd Hand Products!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The Commencal is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by knobbly2.35
    thanks everyone for their comments. From the way it sounds, it looks like whichever frame is available to me first will be the one I probably end up getting. Oh, All Mountain, I had considered (still considering?) the 6Point too but it would probably be wasted on me. If either of the 5" bikes can do trail, light dh and dj I'd be very happy indeed.

I have been doing some research on the Commencal 5.5/5 series and by all accounts, it is getting the best reviews out of pretty much anything out there right now. The meta 5.5 is on my shortlist right now as well. I got a chance to check one out last year and they are very nice. I talked to a lbs in both Whistler B.C. and Calgary, with the prevailing sentiment being this; everyone who gets on one of these things is blown away and this is not sales b.s. from shop owners and media types.

The same comments keep getting made about the Meta 5. It is like a mini dh bike going down and it climbs very well with excellent suspension action. The meta 5 is also ruling the Super D in Europe with different riders getting the same results.

"El Whatever"
    Ouch... Tough call...

The Meta 5 is a KILLER bike... But I would give the nod to the MKIII for the better suspension design.

Happy hunting!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Experience on both bikes

I rode my buddy's '05 MK3 extensively and loved it, it feels really light (opposite to previous person's comment) shock is dead quiet on climbing-almost too firm for my taste. Very active when going down, frame flex is detectable but no biggy.
    I also own a '06 Meta 5.2, I will say the frame is definitely more rigid and beefy than MK3, the head angle is slacker which makes for a confident DH machine. Although I like MK3, I would never call it a tough All Mountain bike (at least the 05 version), it's more of an all day Trail /XC ride. META is a much stronger candidate if you're looking for a bike designed for heavy aggressive riding even occasionally DH trips to ski resort.
    I don't agree with what Wrap commented about the suspension design, , I LOVE meta's rear suspension, it hooks up everything and very responsive than any other bikes I've ridden. Only thing to watch out for is adjusting your body English to accommodate the slacker angle and short cockpit in steep uphill, thus is not for fast XC racing, the tread off on downhill is marginal though.
    Last edited by BigBull; 04-19-2007 at 08:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ive owned a meta 5.2 for the last 2 years, and its an amazing bike mine is a hair under 28lbs atm its also on its way to andorra for yet another new frame (3rd one) .if you are an aggressive rider i would go for the iron horse as the meta imo is a bit lightweight for more "adventurous" riding

mtbr member
    I agree with BigBull the Meta 5 is a really great bike for the money I have ha one for about 6 months now and my wife just ordered hers. After demoing the bike at a NORBA the Commencal guys were really cool. The parts spec is great! She is really excited! Ironhorse make great bikes but the Commencal suited my style of riding. Hope you love what ever you get. The Commencal distributor changed over here in the states the guys at TractionMag.com are the new importers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the 2007 mkIII frames dropped a full pound from 2006 and earlier, if that makes a difference

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Please elaborate on your statements.

Quote Originally Posted by b45her
    ive owned a meta 5.2 for the last 2 years, and its an amazing bike mine is a hair under 28lbs atm its also on its way to andorra for yet another new frame (3rd one) .if you are an aggressive rider i would go for the iron horse as the meta imo is a bit lightweight for more "adventurous" riding
    Have you been breaking your Meta frames? The riders I have talked to are using their meta 5/5.5 for everything but full on freeriding/dh and the Meta has held up, so I am interested to hear your take on this.

The Meta 5.5 is a more beefy frame than the IH. I was told it was about 7lbs with the RP23 this year. Not light.

Btw, I also really like the IH.

My bike is my happy place
    Feb 2004

IH for me

Never rode a Meta 5.5 so I won't waste time on comparisons. But the post about the IH feeling really bouncy and heavy surprised me. My reaction is that for the IH to be bouncy, it was not set up for that rider. When done right, it is an efficient machine that can be adjusted to be loose or tight. I keep mine a touch loose unless I'm doing flatter trails, then I twist a knob and I'm riding a firmer bike. It weights around 32 lbs and I only have the mid-level model. Lighter wheels and stuff would get it under 30, which people have done.

The DW Link doesn't need a platform shock, and I've read several long-time riders say they think the bike rides even better without one. The higher end models come with it, at least they used to. And I figured it was so higher end riders wouldn't feel like they were getting less than they ought to when comparing their bikes to others. It means you'll pay less when it comes time to buy a replacement shock.
    Life is a bowl of fruit, and I am trying to not bite into the mold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    Have you been breaking your Meta frames? The riders I have talked to are using their meta 5/5.5 for everything but full on freeriding/dh and the Meta has held up, so I am interested to hear your take on this.

The Meta 5.5 is a more beefy frame than the IH. I was told it was about 7lbs with the RP23 this year. Not light.

Btw, I also really like the IH.
    from what ive been told by the shop doing the warrenty work its a fault particular to the 2005 medium size frames they develop cracks radiating out from the lower of the bottle mount holes ,i know of 6 frame failures amongst local riders all of them to medium frames. atm moment mine is waiting for a new rear trianglw as i snapped the dropout off it, it was a big impact mind . i love the bike i just dont trust it anymore.

GYP
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    anyone tried these side by side or have ridden both? Still procrasting about my 1st fs. I was all set for the MkIII but then a mate parking lot demo'd both and voted for the meta by a long way. Oh, neither bikes are available for me to demo. Thanks.

Meta 5.5......Awesome I weigh about 160lbs and i ride light and this thing flys......I was in the same dilemma with IHMK111 but The ride on the Commencal is better IMHO. I have demoed lots of bikes in my search for the grail and this bike is as good as it gets...Plus every review i read from MBR, What MTB, Singletrack etc the Meta sweeps the board..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8779009@N03/537307534/
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not sure what you may have purchased but I have had a Meta 5.2 for one year now.
    All I can say is that it is everything you have read and more. Tough, reasonable weight, and just a classy looking bit of kit for the price. And always ready to do what you ask of it short of pure downhill and big air. A true AM ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    GYP and hmto,

thanks for your inputs. No frame from either IH or Commencal vendors expected until July/August...earliest. I did managed to have a parking lot test of the meta yesterday + maybe 1 1/2' drop to flat. Felt a lot less bobby than other linkage SP or pure SP I've tried so far.

www.sirbikealotracing.com
    GYP and hmto,

thanks for your inputs. No frame from either IH or Commencal vendors expected until July/August...earliest. I did managed to have a parking lot test of the meta yesterday + maybe 1 1/2' drop to flat. Felt a lot less bobby than other linkage SP or pure SP I've tried so far.
    we have frames in Canada, call 1 866 424 4600 or info@kmi.ca

here is the latest review on the meta 5.5.3 from the biggest cycling mag in Canada, quite thorough and a resounding "I like" (said in Borat voice)

: : :http://sirbikealotracing.com/ : : : : : : : : :

www.eastcoastopen.com
    DH/XC/Dual

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    sirbikealot, thanks for the review and contact #. I'm based in asia so will mostly likely buy from the lbs. I am in no hurry as I am still enjoying the ht even with a dodgy knee. Did see a fleet of 5 supremes on yesterday's ride. They sure looked rather lush to me. Unfortunately, too much bike for me though. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast