Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tigers love pepper...

Idea! Are you looking for trail suggestions?

Maybe this can help alleviate the numerous similar threads, followed by the standard responses, followed by the inevitable arguments.

1. Support a LBS! Plan to stop in one and at least buy a couple tubes or a new frame or something. Any LBS will probably gladly point you to the same rides we will.

2. At LEAST try to look at some trail info/reviews before posting:
    For Western Slope (sorted by nearest town) - http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...43_918crx.aspx

Also, chances are there are numerous other websites with this information as well. For example, GJ/Fruita info can be found on many websites. Here are a few I like.
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/
    http://www.peterbeers.net/fruita/
    http://www.singletracks.com/php/zipc...s=25&zip=81501

Hopefully that will at least narrow down the things people have to respond to.

3. Maybe you're a planning fanatic like me and can't go on vacation without spreadsheets and detailed GPS routes! So if you still want advice on specific rides, tell us about yourself.

Tell us about your fitness level. Are you a clyde from sea level or an ultra endurance rider?
    What type of trails do you like to ride?
    How many days are you planning to ride? (Specific dates could also help us steer you away from hot/cold/wet conditions in particular areas)
    How many miles or how much time are you looking to ride each day?
    Tell us about the bike will you be bringing. I mean a rigid SS versus a 6.5" travel AM makes a bit of a difference.
    Where are you staying and how far are you willing to drive for your ride?

Providing as much information as possible should help us help you and will likely be a lot more well received than threads like "hey, I'm coming out.... where should I ride?"

Anything else I forgot?

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Thanks Cobi, this is something we've needed for a while now. Nice work.

Some Durango info:
    Trails 2000 has a great interactive map for a great number of the trails in town as well as a few in the high country. They've also got the contact info for most of the bike shop/outdoor sport shops in town.

If you're planning a trip to our neck of the woods please use the following guidlines:
    1) Don't worry about what tires will work best. Durango has many, many, miles of pretty buffed singletrack. During your visit you're likely to see everything from big hit DH bikes to single speed cross bikes.
    2) Don't worry about which bike to bring if you've got more than one. See the above advice and bring you favorite ride. You could have fun here on just about anything with wheels.
    3) If you're planning on renting, see the trails 2000 link above. Call MBS or Second Ave or P2P. They've all got a large inventory of high quality bikes.
    4) If you aren't keen on striking out on your own for an adventure and want a guide or simply need info on possible shuttle opportunities see Hermosa Tours. Hermosa is a top notch guide company which is owned and operated locally.
    5) RELAX. Durango has a heavy beach town vibe. You aren't going to find too many folks around here who are in too big of a hurry. Go with the flow and enjoy what we have to offer.

I'm sure I've left a bunch out. Over time some of the other Dgo folks will fill in the gaps.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007

Use this for ideas

Perhaps these links can give you folks some ideas if you want folks to ride in your area, and how to present it over the internet.

Trail names, profiles, ratings, links to other trails, GPS routes, etc, etc, theres all the information you need to ride something that fits your wants and needs.

http://venturacountytrails.org/

Here's another website with all kinds of rides, or tracks, that you can uploading the route into your Garmins GPS and use it as a guidance system, by using the upload you put on your Garmin Edge for navigating... 5 free uploads per month.

http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php

The county's here in So CAL are kind of big, cover a lot of areas.

Just some ideas, so that people can find the information themselves.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Perhaps these links can give you folks some ideas if you want folks to ride in your area, and how to present it over the internet.
    What are we the Visitors and Convention Bureau? I think you missed the entire point of this thread.

I don't really give a rip if anyone comes to ride here, but if they do I thought maybe we could provide some information so we wouldn't have the same threads and conversations over and over. We already provided some great links for people to find there own information..... we're just asking people to take 5 minutes to look before posting.

It's not that the information isn't already out there.... some people just don't want to do anything on their own. They'd rather just have people tell them where to ride despite not providing any information that would actually help us determine where we should suggest.

Here's the most important link any of us can possibly provide for prospective visitors:
    http://www.google.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Crested Butte Info

I put together a rather large list of trails in the CB area on my website here. Lots of trip reports and helmetcam stuff as well.

401 usually isn't open until the 4th of July. Trail conditions are updated fairly often in the spring at the Crested Butte MTB Hall of Fame website. Speaking of which, the MTB HOF is worth visiting to see some history of our sport.

More excellent trail info can be found here as well

Weather

Bike shops include Big Al's, Go Big, The Alpineer, and my personal favorite, CB Sports up at the ski area. All of them will treat you right.

Great camping is available out any of the forest service roads. Sites up Slate river are probably the closest ones to town.

Almost every restaurant in town is good to excellent. The Secret Stash has the best pizza, but you'll wait for it. Donita's is decent mexican, but the specials are usually superb and much better than anything on the regular menu. The Brick Oven has the best deck and beer selection.

Hopefully that covers the basics. PM me if I need to add anything...

mtbr member
    Cobi you are so right about people doing some of their own research. Great thread.
    gjmountainbiking.com

mtbr member
    Which way is the best way to take horsetheif

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by CR Race
    Which way is the best way to take horsetheif
    It used to have a sign saying bikes go left , hikers go right. But I don't remember seeing it earlier this season. Not sure if the BLM removed it or someone stole it? I still go clockwise out of habit, but I did pass a few bikers coming the other way last time.

Pedal Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    It used to have a sign saying bikes go left , hikers go right. But I don't remember seeing it earlier this season. Not sure if the BLM removed it or someone stole it? I still go clockwise out of habit, but I did pass a few bikers coming the other way last time.
    I've ridden it both ways, but I still think Clockwise is the best, especially when busy.

Tigers love pepper...
    Oops, wrong thread.
    Last edited by cobi; 08-02-2010 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    Also, chances are there are numerous other websites with this information as well. For example, GJ/Fruita info can be found on many websites. Here are a few I like.
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/
    A little off-topic, but whatever happened to the guys that put together gjmountainbiking.com? I've ridden all over the place, but still reference the website for information. It would be cool if they or someone continued the good work done on the site.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg
    A little off-topic, but whatever happened to the guys that put together gjmountainbiking.com? I've ridden all over the place, but still reference the website for information. It would be cool if they or someone continued the good work done on the site.
    I think one of the guys that runs it still lurks around on here (gjmtb) but hasn't posted since 2009. If it's anything like the websites I've run/updated over multiple years..... after a while you just start to lose the desire.

mtbr member
    v2.O is a work in progress. We are committed to revitalizing it with updated and new information. Release date should still be in 2011
    gjmountainbiking.com

mnt bike laws of physics

Suggestions please

I will be in town June 10th through 12th. I am a fast Cat 1 racer from Santa Fe bringing my Turner Sultan.
    Anybody want to ride? Any group rides this weekend? I like to go long and at a decent pace. if not, trail suggstions would be much appreciated....preferably mostly single track.

Who loves ya baby?

Plus size jersey model
    Are there any good sites out there with gpx files for the Durango or CB area. Have been trying to search for them but mtbr won't search 3 letter words and I have poured thru a ton of threads but jut haven't found anything good.

fan of maple syrup
    Looking forward to visiting Colorado In September. Hoping it's not too cold. Currently researching rides in the CB, GJ & Fruita area before heading further east into UT then south to AZ. First time in the area from Australia, can't wait to see the mountainous territory over there.

Now ... back to the research.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Looks like there is a time limit for editing posts, so I had to quote myself. Mainly wanted to update, as one of the shops I originally mentioned is out of business, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post
    I put together a rather large list of trails in the CB area on my website here. Lots of trip reports and helmetcam stuff as well. Same list, but in alphabetical order HERE.

401 usually isn't open until the 4th of July. Trail conditions are updated fairly often in the spring at the Crested Butte MTB Hall of Fame website. Speaking of which, the MTB HOF is worth visiting to see some history of our sport.

More excellent trail info can be found here as well

Weather

Bike shops include Big Al's, The Alpineer, and my personal favorite, CB Sports, up at the ski area. All of them will treat you right.

Great camping is available out any of the forest service roads. Sites up Slate river are probably the closest ones to town.

Almost every restaurant in town is good to excellent. The Secret Stash has the best pizza, but you'll wait for it. Donita's is decent mexican, but the specials are usually superb and much better than anything on the regular menu. The Brick Oven has the best deck and beer selection. Ryce has been a new favorite for asian food.

Hopefully that covers the basics. PM me if I need to add anything...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Okay, I'm planning a trip for spring break. I was originally going to do 5 days in Moab and 3 days in Fruita/GJ but the Moab motel prices are outrageous due to Jeep week so I was wondering if there was enough to do in Fruita/GJ for 8 days? Also, are there any other cool trails within an hour of GJ that are maybe a little off the beaten path? I did a ride last year in New Mexico at a place called White Mesa that was out there but was really cool and fun.

I am a pretty strong CC rider and can handle most technical sections (can not do Horsethief Bench entrance though!)

Any advice would be great!

Pedal Masher
    check out COPMOBA

mtbr member
    Hi guys,

As my username tells i'm a french biker.
    i'm planning my bike/road trip to Utah/Colorado area to ride the trails with my 575 on September.
    i have not yet found the trails i'll ride but for first i'm wondering if September is the right season to go.
    it's not cold yet ? not too much rain and about trails conditions ?

Thanks for your help, think i'll have other questions later.

Jul 2009
    September can be one of the best months. Early September can be warm in GJ and Moab, but you can get snowed on in the high country at the same time. But all in all, definitely a good time to visit!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by slope folk View Post
    September can be one of the best months. Early September can be warm in GJ and Moab, but you can get snowed on in the high country at the same time. But all in all, definitely a good time to visit!
    What he said ^^^

September is *generally* primo. I'd recommend hitting Durango and other mountain destinations as SOON as you get here. Head to Fruita/GJ/Moab *later* in the trip.

Oh - and don't blame us if we get 3 feet of snow in the mountains on Sep 5th.

mtbr member
    ok, I'll take my boots and snowboard too

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchi rider View Post
    ok, I'll take my boots and snowboard too
    Not a bad idea... Silverton Mountain is not too far away from Durango.

mtbr member
    I plan to go from Las Vegas To Denver, is that the right way to go or should i do the opposite way ?

Is Denver area interesting for biking and visiting ? Colorado Springs ?

I thought about have look at Yeti office in Boulder, is that possible ?

Don't know exactly how long to stay in Moab area to ride and visit parks, 3/4/5 days ???

thanks for helping guys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast