Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post

Generic to do list:
    18rd - Prime Cut, Kessels, Joes/Mojoes, Zippity, Chutes and Ladders, PBR (ok that's like 80% of the trails anyway)
    Kokopelli - Mary's, Horsethief Bench, Steve's loop, Troy Built, Mack Ridge and if you really need a challenge hit up Moore Fun.
    Lunch Loops - Petekes to Holy Cross and most of the rest of the lower stuff. If you like jumps and tech don't miss Free Lunch and Pucker Up maybe Eagles. Consider Gunny Loop, Butterknife and Ribbon.
    Rabbit Valley - Western Rim (probably my favorite XC trail)
    This also looks like a great list to me. We just moved to Steamboat, and after just spending a week in Moab with friends, and a winter of skiing some fan-****ing-tastic snow, I needed to drop my RV off for service in GJ. As we were driving thru Rabbit Valley, I kept seeing some trails along the freeway, thinking, "gotta ride here....gotta come ride here....man, this looks like a nice place to ride....we gotta come out here soon...gotta get to GJ/Fruita."

So we're coming back in a week or so. I'll bring two bikes just for fun (OK, that is a matter of perspective) my Niner SS, and my Salsa BearGrease.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi all,

Looking to spend a week in GJ/Fruita sometime in this Fall. My schedule is pretty flexible, so when is the best time to go? Obligatory details: great fitness level, intermediate skills, coming from 1000ft.

I'm not someone who needs to collect trails; when I find one I like, I have no problem hitting it over and over again (my wife appreciates this quality in me, as well). Ideally I'd love to find a hotel within walking distance of a shop that rents bikes, and which has trail access within riding distance. I'll probably be bringing the Mrs along, who doesn't ride much, so access to one or two beginner loops would be great.

Suggestions? TIA!
    Road: 2013 Trek Madone 2.3
    MTB: 2014 Giant Anthem 3 27.5

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeJockey View Post
    Ideally I'd love to find a hotel within walking distance of a shop that rents bikes, and which has trail access within riding distance. I'll probably be bringing the Mrs along, who doesn't ride much, so access to one or two beginner loops would be great.
    Based on your info above I say use downtown GJ as your basecamp.

Hotels: (There are cheaper options as well if you do some searching)
    Hampton Inn
    Fairfield Inn

Rent your bike at Ruby Canyon Cycles (a block from those hotels), they rent Specialized. Or from Brown Cycles (maybe 4 blocks away), they rent Trek and tandems/triples... fun for the family!

Ride at the Lunch Loops. They are a little limited on beginner stuff but she'll be able to get a few loops in if she wants. It's maybe a 3 mile warmup ride to get to the trailhead from downtown?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey Guys-

Just got back yesterday from the trip. Wanted to send another note of thanks. It was some epic riding, and a trip to remember for sure. I also wanted to through out a couple thoughts, in case other people stumble across the thread:

Over the Edge was a great shop in Fruita. Great bikes, helpful and knowledgeable staff. I would recommend them for sure.

One trail that I didn't see but would recommend is the Palisades Rim trail. My brother and I agreed that it was one of the best trails that we rode (though a little short) and would definitely consider riding it both directions on the same day.

We're hoping to get back to the area before too long!

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by irafcummings View Post
    One trail that I didn't see but would recommend is the Palisades Rim trail. My brother and I agreed that it was one of the best trails that we rode (though a little short) and would definitely consider riding it both directions on the same day.
    I mentioned it...... But didn't make a big deal out of it. It's a trail that seems to have a love/hate response. I ran into 3 guys out there from Wyoming the other weekend and they were not enjoying it at all. You did go up and ride the upper (second) loop as well right? If you did, it should have been around 9 miles I think.

I don't ride it much because I'm not in great shape and frankly it kicks my butt. But I can see why others love it. Glad you had a good time, any other trails you liked?

SNIP.......

Others like Butterknife and Palisade Rim are newer and not nearly as well known but seem to be gathering a strong following.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Oh, sorry that I missed it in your original post! Might have been because I couldn't find a trail map until we got to town.

We really liked the Kokopelli area, especially Horsethief Bench. Western Rim was a great trail, but getting in and getting out weren't all that fun. 18 Road had some good stuff, especially once we worked up the courage to do Zippity Do Da. Butterknife was great as well, just the long, uneventful climb out afterwards.

All-in-all, a great trip. Thanks for the recommendations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oh, sorry that I missed it in your original post! Might have been because I couldn't find a trail map until we got to town.

We really liked the Kokopelli area, especially Horsethief Bench. Western Rim was a great trail, but getting in and getting out weren't all that fun. 18 Road had some good stuff, especially once we worked up the courage to do Zippity Do Da. Butterknife was great as well, just the long, uneventful climb out afterwards.

All-in-all, a great trip. Thanks for the recommendations.
    You really ran the gamut of the Grand Valley trails. Good job!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The lower Palisade Rim is one of my lunch hour rides. I can finish it in about 40 minutes. If you add the upper loop, you're looking at 1.5 hrs plus.

The climb to the lower loop can be challenging if you're not feeling it or a bit out of shape. It is also easier after doing it a time or two so you know the technical parts of the climb. That's why I would be a little reluctant to automatically recommend it for people coming GJ to ride for the first time.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    The lower Palisade Rim is one of my lunch hour rides. I can finish it in about 40 minutes. If you add the upper loop, you're looking at 1.5 hrs plus.
    Haha, it took me like 1.5 hours just to top out on the upper loop the other weekend! Then I look at Strava and see certain local riders hitting the same spot in like 38 minutes. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    The climb to the lower loop can be challenging if you're not feeling it or a bit out of shape.
    No, it's more of a suffer fest than a "challenge" if you're out of shape. Ask me how I know. . Still a cool trail though. But I'm like you and take caution recommending it. What I've learned about Palisade riding in general: you better either be a strong rider or enjoy some suffering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Based on your info above I say use downtown GJ as your basecamp.

Hotels: (There are cheaper options as well if you do some searching)
    Hampton Inn
    Fairfield Inn

Rent your bike at Ruby Canyon Cycles (a block from those hotels), they rent Specialized. Or from Brown Cycles (maybe 4 blocks away), they rent Trek and tandems/triples... fun for the family!

Ride at the Lunch Loops. They are a little limited on beginner stuff but she'll be able to get a few loops in if she wants. It's maybe a 3 mile warmup ride to get to the trailhead from downtown?
    I actually went through GJ the other day on my way back from Moab. I had time to kill before catching a flight, so I toured downtown. GORGEOUS. I got to stop by both Ruby and Brown - GREAT shops! I also had some spinach/cheese/bagel concoction from the bakery right there. Nom nom.

So, who's hiring software developers / IT project managers in Grand Junction? (dead serious!)

Tigers love pepper...
    So, who's hiring software developers / IT project managers in Grand Junction? (dead serious!)
    Well my former employer is still looking to replace me...... (Sorta, I think they gave up and are trying to promote from within). I just took a new job May 1st. But they don't do software development.

IT jobs are TOUGH to find here and they don't pay as well as they should. Many go unadvertised (like my last 3 jobs now). Basically I haven't filled out an application or done a resume since 1998.

Check out the paper, and check out St Mary's Hospital website, they always seem to be looking for IT guys. If you have questions feel free to PM me, I can at least tell you who NOT to work for. There are a few places that advertise a lot, because nobody wants to work there for more than 6 months.

2006 Yeti AS-X

If you like to be close to GJ/Fruita/Moab, you can also consider larger cities like Salt Lake City where you would have more IT positions. I would give certain anatomical parts to land a great IT job in GJ - however I was able to land an awesome gig in Ogden (30 miles north of SLC) which puts me at a close 5 hours to GJ.

Just an idea.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    If you like to be close to GJ/Fruita/Moab, you can also consider larger cities like Salt Lake City where you would have more IT positions. I would give certain anatomical parts to land a great IT job in GJ - however I was able to land an awesome gig in Ogden (30 miles north of SLC) which puts me at a close 5 hours to GJ.

Just an idea.
    Yep, that's pretty much what I've been doing. I found a few things in Ft. Collins that I'll be looking into. How is Ogden as far as pollution goes? Is it outside the inversion that hits SLC pretty hard?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    OK Vail Valley-ers... where do I pick up "The" map for the Eagle trail system? Recommendations on routes? Will have wife and 13 yo with me...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3