Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Denver -> Vegas is the direction you should plan on, IMO. Flying to Denver will get you into the High Country right away... get your alpine riding done early in your trip. Vegas is in the desert and a long way from the Rocky Mountains.

Hit up all your Colorado mountains destinations, then make your way to Vegas via Fruita, Moab, Hurricane/Virgin - and save some time for riding in Vegas... I hear there is some good stuff 'round those parts.

PM me if you'd like detailed recommendations as to routes, etc. - sounds like you'll be here for awhile?

Yeti is in Golden - which is "on the way" up to the mountains. They'd probably welcome a visitor out there... I hear they're good people.

I wouldn't "waste" time in Denver or Colo Spgs unless the weather is snowy in the mountains. The riding around here is good, but *pales* in comparison to the actual mountains.

You could *easily* spend 5 days in Moab. But you could do the same almost anywhere around here.

mtbr member
    thanks for reply SkaredShtles !!!
    I plan my trip for a 3 weeks duration, agree with you about the direction to follow, needed to know that early to book my flights.

For the moment i'm solo and it could be cool for me to ride with locals, maybe i'll create a dedicated thread where people could follow me. i'll see later.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchi rider View Post
    thanks for reply SkaredShtles !!!
    I plan my trip for a 3 weeks duration, agree with you about the direction to follow, needed to know that early to book my flights.

For the moment i'm solo and it could be cool for me to ride with locals, maybe i'll create a dedicated thread where people could follow me. i'll see later.
    That's a great idea. Lots of locals would be glad to ride with you...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    need post count, sry

mtbr member
    I am looking for some ideas for riding Steamboat. We are heading up there today(7/12/12). I am a cross country rider with better than average tech skill going uphill, I'm a puss going down (too many endos in the past year). I've read about the resort, Today, I will ride to the top and scream down but no lift service for me. I'd rather find some single track away from the crowd and see some of your backcountry areas. Looking for suggestions and if a local wants to show me some of the goods, I'll take that also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi Guys,

I'm planning a 2 week (including 2 to 4 days driving) mountain bike vacation starting around Sept. 10th and driving up from Winnipeg, MB Canada. This will be my first trip your way and so I want to make my choice count, as it's a long drive. There's just so many options that I'm having a hard time deciding on my specific destinations.

I'd like to hit at least a couple places, if not more, and have narrowed down my choices to Moab, Fruita, Crested Butte and Durango. At this point I'm leaning towards just Moab and Fruita, however I'm wondering if I should try to squeeze Crested Butte or Durango in there, and if so, which one. Doing all of them may be a little too tight, and I may be better off getting all I can out of a couple instead of rushing through and missing some stuff. All four offer different terrain than I have locally (mountain or desert), so I'm sure I'd enjoy any of them. I'll be camping while I'm there

I'm riding a XC bike, so it is a hard tail (if that matters). I'm basically looking to experience some different terrain and want to get the best bang out of this trip.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That's a tough call. I would suggest doing more than just Moab/Fruita though. I have done trips (coming from Banff) where I have packed them all in with about the same number of days you have, but it would be tight. I don't mind doing a 4 hour ride and a 4 hour drive to get to the next place in the same day, but I know most people wouldn't want to. 3-4 days at each place would give you a good overview though, and you could return to spend more time at your favourite next time. Logistically, Moab/Fruita and CB would probably mean less driving for you. I love Durango though, and the nice thing there is that within an hour of Durango you have desert and high mountain riding, so you could easily get both types of riding you are looking for. Personally I prefer CB and Durango to Moab (especially the vibe of the towns) but that's a personal thing. No matter what you choose, you'll have a great time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the feedback TOLOCOMan, you really bring up some good points. One of the nice things about the area is that it really seems to offer a diverse option of terrain and scenery. I was definitely thinking that I may regret not seeing the more mountainous southern part if I just did Moab and Fruita, and it might get a little old with that much time (not that there aren't enough trails of course). I went on a bike trip out your way quite a few years ago and it was awesome, and definitely do miss the mountain scenery.

I was actually originally going to skip Moab, because it sounds like it gets pretty crowded, which I don't like, however I think I'd regret not checking it out.

Yeah, I'd prefer to keep the driving to a minimum as far as frequency goes. I know it's silly, but the upcoming pack up and drive seems to loom in my mind when it's a short stay. And sometimes you feel like you 'need' to ride that day, even if you don't feel like it and want to relax, because you only have X amount of time left there.

I think I'll reevaluate and take a closer look at Durango to see what it has to offer.

One question that comes to mind is related to weather in Moab/Fruita versus Durango. Would it be safe to assume that a week wouldn't really make any difference temperature-wise? What I mean is Moab/Fruita area is hotter, so the later the better, whereas Durango, it's probably already a comfortable temp at that point. So realistically, which area to go first wouldn't really matter much would it?

Again, thanks for the feedback, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    One quick question for you TOLOCOMan (or anyone else) since you've been to those places. Any recommendations as far as campgrounds that you thought were really nice, or not so nice? There's certainly no lack of options that I came across, but it's a little difficult to tell which ones may be 'nicer' than the others (privacy, shade, scenery, close to trails etc.) from just online pictures, which there often aren't a lot of for campgrounds. And I'd be looking for amenities like water, showers etc., so you can ignore my question if that wasn't in your criteria. If you don't recall, no worries, just thought you might have some useful real-world feedback in that respect.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I know it is probably blasphemy as a mountain biker, but I would rank Moab last of all those places. Basically because it is so touristy and cheesy feeling compared to the others. Definitely some trails worth riding though. My personal fav is the Klondike Bluff area on the new singletrack like EKG and UFO. If you really don't want to move too far during the trip though, Durango/Cortez might be the ticket for you. Can get desert type rides like Alien Run, Sand Canyon, mixed types like Horse Gulch and Phils World, and tons of high country rides too all within an hour of town. Then again CB has lots of high stuff, and deserty type stuff down at Harman Rocks. Man I'm decisive aren't I. Being higher, there is more chance of crappier weather in Durango or CB than Moab, but shouldn't be too bad at that time of year. The aspen could be at really nice colour too.

I tend to try to camp for free as much as possible down there as there are lots of free places available without any amenities. For amenities, I have stayed at Slickrock campground in Moab, the KOA in Cortez, and the one on the north end of town in Durango (sorry forget the name right now, but right at the north end of the free trolly into town). They are all fine for what you want, if somewhat expensive.

Hope this helps, I know I might just be making things more confusing...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I need some trail advice from you Durango locals. I had a brief ride on your Telegraph trails a few years back while driving through and loved it. I will be there this weekend and would like some advice on a a favorable way to link together all of those great trails in the Horse Gulch and Telegraph systems. I am staying downtown so starting at a TH that I can ride to would be idea but not required. I would like to piece together a ride in the 25-30 mile length if possible taking in all the best they have to offer. Thanks in advance for your help, can't wait!

The Original Suspect
    Hey guys looking for a 10-20 mile out and back or loop SS worthy. Gonna be rolling thru the area en route to AZ and only have about 3 hours or so to spend. Coming from the Loveland/Ft. Collins area and my legs and lungs are in good shape. Not looking for anything tech, just wanna roll. Never been to the area so looking for good scenery as well.

Thanks! Oh and I'm running 32/18 gearing on a 29'er if that helps with suggesting trails that aren't too steep.

Edit: Fruita area
    Last edited by HitmenOnlyInc; 09-29-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: omitted info

Tigers love pepper...
    18 road (North Fruita Desert) would be a good choice. You could ride numerous different loops out ther in a few hours. Definitely SS friendly except for a few short climbs on Chutes and Ladders and Zippity Do Dah. But it's all good out there! I would start with Prime Cut to Kessels, back up Prime to Joes/MoJos (MoJos is "jumpy" you could skip it and hit lower Kessels again, but it has ride arounds on the jumps as well). At that point I'd go East on Vegetarian, down the bottom half of chutes and back on Edge (or go loop around Edge, Edge Connector and come back down on Down Uppity if you need more miles). This all may add up to more than 20 but easily doable in 3 hours. Miles are pretty easy out there.

You could also go hit the Kokopelli system and ride something like Rustlers, Mary's, Horsethief, Steve's and back on Mary's. this is a great ride with great scenery. It is more technical than above and a little less SS friendly. But I've even ridden it SS and I am fat and out of shape (really). I ride 32/20 on my rigid 29er.

The other one that comes to mind that fits your description well is Western Rim out at Rabbit Valley. I haven't done it on my SS yet but I think it would be fine. A bit more route finding potential out here and more remote. Probably safer t hit one of the above options, but I do love Western Rim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey Guys. I'm an east coast (MA/NH/VT) rider, headed to Grand Junction and Fruita for a little more than a week in May. Specifically the 17th-25th. I've never ridden out West, so I have no idea what to expect. I'm putting together plans, and trying to figure out what the best options are for where to ride.

I'm relatively fit, and can ride for 2-4 hours, depending on the terrain. I plan to ride as much of the time that I'm out there as possible, maybe taking a day or two to rest. I'll be with 1 or 2 other riders, and we're planning to stick mostly to the Grand Junction/Fruita area, but we might take a day trip to Moab. I ride an XC trail bike here, but am planning to rent a bike that skews a little more AM when I make the trip out. I like to ride up, as well as rip the descents. I'm not afraid of technical sections, but I prefer fast and flowy vs. sessioning a rock garden to find the best line.

Here are my questions:

1. Where is the best shop to rent a bike from? I'm seeing a reviews of a few different places, but they don't seem that consistent.

2. What's a good campground to stay at? Facilities and a shower would be key, but it doesn't have to be fancier than that.

3. What are the trails that I HAVE to ride? Ribbon looks mandatory, but other than that, it's hard to tell.

Thanks!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    IMO you should plan to spend the majority of your time in Moab. But that may just be me...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by irafcummings View Post
    Here are my questions:

1. Where is the best shop to rent a bike from? I'm seeing a reviews of a few different places, but they don't seem that consistent.

2. What's a good campground to stay at? Facilities and a shower would be key, but it doesn't have to be fancier than that.

3. What are the trails that I HAVE to ride? Ribbon looks mandatory, but other than that, it's hard to tell.

Thanks!
    1. I've had good luck with ruby canyon cycles. They have a nice selection of specialized and Yeti rentals.
    2. I would think the KOA in grand junction would be your best bet if you need showers, otherwise go primitive (18rd, rabbit valley,ect). Both rabbit valley and 18rd have pit toilets.
    3. It would be easy to spend a whole week in junction/fruita between 18rd, rabbit valley, kokopelli and lunch loops you'll have a TON of riding to explore. If you've never been to Moab definitely take a day or two an hit one of the classic rides there (slickrock, porcupine rim, amasa back, ect). Enjoy!

Tigers love pepper...
    Agree wit BDKeg. Also check out James M Robb campground in Fruita

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Awesome. Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I am SO psyched to ride the area, and Moab. I love riding the east, but hey, you gotta see what's out there.

Tigers love pepper...
    Awesome. Thanks for the help and suggestions guys. I am SO psyched to ride the area, and Moab. I love riding the east, but hey, you gotta see what's out there.
    I haven't ridden out east but I suspect you'll be impressed with the riding out here. You can certainly ride XC out here but you'll probably enjoy a 5" or so FS bike on a lot of trails.

Must do trails? Differs for everyone, I've seen people blown away by the Ribbon and others kind of like "that's it? it's over?" Just ride most everything at the different areas (18rd, Lunch Loops, Kokopelli) and figure out what types of trails you like/dislike and keep posting in here and people can chime in while you're here. There's enough riding in the area you can ride something new everyday.

Some of the best trails around are rarely on people's to do list. Trials like Western Rim and Zion Curtain just across the border (accessed from Rabbit Valley) are great and the views will blow you away. Others like Butterknife and Palisade Rim are newer and not nearly as well known but seem to be gathering a strong following.

Generic to do list:
    18rd - Prime Cut, Kessels, Joes/Mojoes, Zippity, Chutes and Ladders, PBR (ok that's like 80% of the trails anyway)
    Kokopelli - Mary's, Horsethief Bench, Steve's loop, Troy Built, Mack Ridge and if you really need a challenge hit up Moore Fun.
    Lunch Loops - Petekes to Holy Cross and most of the rest of the lower stuff. If you like jumps and tech don't miss Free Lunch and Pucker Up maybe Eagles. Consider Gunny Loop, Butterknife and Ribbon.
    Rabbit Valley - Western Rim (probably my favorite XC trail)

Definitely spend time in Moab, there's a ton of great riding. I haven't ridden nearly enough there! There is also so much other riding you can do as a day trip from here. Although May is a little early for the high stuff like Crested Butte probably.

Keep in mind it's gonna be starting to warm up in May. Temps will probably start hitting into the mid 80's regularly and could hit an occasional 90. Or it could snow, haha you never know around here. Drink lots of water and take it a little easy for a few days to acclimate. My wedding was May 21st 2005 and I think it hit like 95.

Check out (if you haven't already)
    Grand Junction and Fruita Mountain Biking -- gjmountainbiking.com (a little outdated)
    The Skid Map

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cobi - That's a great start. Thanks a ton. I'm know full well that there's more riding than I can tackle in the short time that I'll be there. I also know that the climbing is going to take getting used to (the most that I've ever climbed in a day is 1200 ft).

I'm really psyched for this trip!

mtbr member
    Agree with most comments here. Having ridden 20 years on the east coast, and almost a year now in the Grand Valley...the riding here is very different (and wicked pisser!)
    In addition to some of the links posted, THE COPMOBA site has most maps you need for riding in the area. Moab is a must do! It would be a shame to be this close to the Mecca & not spend a couple days there

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks jncarpenter. Coming from the East Coast, what was the biggest difference? I plan on taking it easy first couple days, but as they say, you don't know what you don't know. Anything that I should keep in mind as I'm prepping for the trip and the first couple rides?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Thanks jncarpenter. Coming from the East Coast, what was the biggest difference? I plan on taking it easy first couple days, but as they say, you don't know what you don't know. Anything that I should keep in mind as I'm prepping for the trip and the first couple rides?
    It can be a lot like riding in an oven out in the red rock country. I've been out there when it's in the mid-80's and it's *really* hot. It's likely to be in the 80's when you're there. Plan accordingly. And drink tons of water.

Still way better than hot and humid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    It can be a lot like riding in an oven out in the red rock country. I've been out there when it's in the mid-80's and it's *really* hot. It's likely to be in the 80's when you're there. Plan accordingly. And drink tons of water.

Still way better than hot and humid.
    This^...plus, way more rock to ride on. A set of tires that would last a year or more on the EC are toast here in half that time. Also, without all the constant tree cover, there's alot of incredible terrain to look at!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks everybody. Booked a camp site, researching rental options, and just dreaming about killer singletrack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast