Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XPost: Aron Ralston to speak on behalf of Hidden Gems in Eagle

1K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  zrm 
#1 ·
Aron Ralston to speak on behalf of Hidden Gems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, THAT Aron Ralston. He's being positioned as a "Wilderness expert" by the Hidden Gems folks and is going to formally endorse the proposal that calls for 450,000 or so new acres of WIlderness in the Central Rockies. In case you were sleeping, these new parcels will be forever off-limits to bicycles.

Join the swelling ranks of mountain bikers asking their elected officials to consider companion designations (National Protection or Conservation Areas). These are acts of congress (just like Wilderness) and would ban extractive industries from gaining commercial rights.

What: Eagle County Commissioners Hidden Gems Open House
Where: Eagle County Building in the Council Chambers - 500 Broadway St., Eagle, CO
When: Wednesday, October 28th from 5-7pm

Please consider joining the "Protect, Not Exclude: Questions About the Hidden Gems Wilderness Campaign" here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6633656&ref=mf

Most FB groups are shite, but in this one you'll find contact information for your elected officials, links to maps and newspaper articles and information on how to make your opionion heard to your congressman, senators and local newspaper editors.

As always, thanks for considering.

MM

See less See more
#5 ·
"Lose your arm and suddenly you are an expert on Wilderness?"

I met him at Telluride Bluegrass after he had become a pseudo celebrity. He was telling me how much he loved to climb 14'ers...alone...in the winter. Guy is a walking talking future Darwin Award winner; has no business advocating on behalf of anything.

#8 ·
He was a nice enough guy. But I'll never forget that jaw-agape feeling I had as he was telling me that he still gets off on taking big risks in the backcountry without a partner. I was stunned. This activity indirectly puts search and rescue crews in danger should they have to go pluck him off Capitol, Castle, or Snowmass in the middle of the winter. But this same guy is now advocating against my right to ride a bike in the woods. My point is, in my opinion, he is a poor advocate for responsible Wilderness use.

#9 ·
Well, I ride my bike alone often enough, sometimes on long rides and somewhat remote locations. I do solo ski tours, climb peaks, and so on. Up till know though , I'd like to think skill, experience, and good judgement, but probably just dumb luck, I've never needed rescue. I'm going to guess that you and a lot of others who post here do similar things. Tomorrow, that could change for any of us who do risky things in the outdoors. Any of us could be placed, through either a momentary lack of judgement or bad luck be put in Mr. Ralstons predicament. I'll guess that for most of the people who post here who are bagging on Ralston, if a friend of theirs died in an avalanche or seriously hurt mountain biking and needed evac, they'd vigorously defend their friend against anyone who questioned their judgement or skill. It's easy to be righteous and judgemental when it suits your position within your tribe. It's hard to look at others without pre concieved notions and judgement.

As to his position on where you may or may not ride your bike, well, we are all entitled to our opinions. We may or may not agree with each others opinions, but IMO that doesn't mean we need to practice character assassination on each other.

Also: when you say he's advocating against your right to ride in the woods, be specific. Where? The woods in general? All woods? Trails that are currently open to Mtn bikes? which ones? Areas you think you might want to ride in the future but there are currently no trails? Those are the questions you need to know the answers to.

#10 ·
"Yes, THAT Aron Ralston. He's being positioned as a "Wilderness expert" by the Hidden Gems folks and is going to formally endorse the proposal that calls for 450,000 or so new acres of WIlderness in the Central Rockies. In case you were sleeping, these new parcels will be forever off-limits to bicycles."

^^ Those woods, the 450,000 acres in the Central Rockies being proposed by Hidden Gems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/sports/othersports/01ralston.html?_r=2&ref=sports

I have no idea what this guy really thinks about Wilderness policy and shouldn't have assumed that I did. After doing a little research, I now assume he is just a paid advocate. According to the New York Times he makes anywhere from $15,000-$37,000/speech.

My first post was overly condemning, but, soloing every 14'er in the winter is crazy, imo; and much more risky than epic bike rides.

Imo, he is still a poor advocate for responsible Wilderness use. I also think mountain biking on some level should play a part in responsible Wilderness use. That is why I currently oppose new Wilderness. The way the law is currently drafted excludes us while allowing pack animal trains and cattle/sheep grazing. In my opinion, this is ridiculous and that is why I do not support Hidden Gems or their spokesman.

I agree that it was wrong to assassinate his character based on one twenty minute conversation.

#11 ·
zrm said:
. Any of us could be placed, through either a momentary lack of judgement or bad luck be put in Mr. Ralstons predicament.
True True, I ride alone from time to time as well. I guess the difference is what happens after you are rescued or in Aron's case rescue yourself. He should be the poster child of what NOT to do when out in the wild. People should be saying , "Don't pull an Aron!", instead of paying him 10's of thousands of dollars in speaking fee's.

This is an article about my co-worker. He once asked me about riding the White rim trail in Moab. He was going to rent a bike and ride it alone. He pretty much was a noob about MTbiking. I strongly suggested against it and recommended he ride a couple days in Loma to get a small taste of what 100 miles in the desert was like. I guess the difference between Aron and Dan is that Aron saved himself. But a role model he is not...
http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20080625/NEWS/384835777/1035&parentprofile=1062

#21 · (Edited)
zrm said:
Richmond Ridge is not. Nitros post is nonsensical
Richmond Ridge is not in the proposal. I just have an issue with someone who rides a Snowmobile all over public lands (Richmond Ridge and other places) and then a few miles down the road says these activities should be banned (Hidden Gems).

That doesn't strike you as being just a bit hypocritical?

#22 ·
nitro1 said:
Richmond Ridge is not in the proposal. I just have an issue with someone who rides a Snowmobile all over public lands (Richmond Ridge and other places) and then a few miles down the road says these activities should be banned (Hidden Gems).

That doesn't strike you as being just a bit hypocritical?
No, why would it? Richmond ridge is snomo central and totally legal for that use. As far as I know Ralston isn't suggesting that he should be able to drive a sled there but no one else should. I had not heard that he is any sort of a sled neck. If he is and is an advocate for including more land into the wilderness act, as long as he would be willing to abide by the rules, that would make him highly unusual for a motorhead, but not a hypocrite.

Now if he was one of those sled heads who deliberately poach wilderness but was publicly saying that others shouldn't do the same, that would be hypocritical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.