Cycling, FTW!!

Wildfire in North Routt?

I could see the thing smoking pretty good this morning from my apartment.
    Last edited by MarkoInTheBoat; 08-28-2009 at 05:01 AM.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Model of Grace and Tact
    http://www.nifc.gov/fire_info/nfn.htm

Nothing reported yet, controlled burn maybe?

Cycling, FTW!!
    The local paper finally put out a news article on the fire. 1 acre fire burning north of Dry lake.
    "Lightning likely started the fire, the U.S. Forest Service said Friday. The 1-acre blaze is 50 percent contained and burning in an alpine meadow amid spruce and firs, the Forest Service said."
    Here's the article.
    The article has a link to google maps that shows the location of the fire and it looks like a thick patch of dying Spruce, piss fir, and blowdown, right next to the wilderness boundary. It's pretty remote country and they probably had to heli-shuttle the crews in. Thats probably why they called in the Pike shots instead of using local type 2 resources.

I haven't seen any smoke coming from up there since Thursday evening so I don't think the fire is doing much. Good thing our taxpayer dollars are being spent suppressing wildfires in the wilderness.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

mtbr member
    Still Smoking?? I was up on hot Springs and the 'choper was dumping water up there but I didn't see any smoke.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    Still Smoking?? I was up on hot Springs and the 'choper was dumping water up there but I didn't see any smoke.
    Still haven't seen any smoke since Thursday.

But what day did you see the water drops?

On Saturday there was a bunch of resources out in front of North Routt Station #1 and they said there was a new fire burning in Taylor canyon. It sounded like they flew in a heli-tac crew and were making water drops so there wasn't much for the local crews to do.

TONS of lightning and strong winds up in the Zirkels yesterday afternoon. Red flag warning too.

mtbr member
    I rode Hot Springs Saturday. Lot's of hikers, trail was in great shape.