Trail Sanitizer

Wildfire near Fruita

I just saw a news story that I70 is closed at the Loma exit due to a wildfire. Does anyone know more about the wildfire?

bacon! bacon! bacon!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I went for a ride in the middle of the day and caught on fire. I rolled around to try and extinguish myself but managed to catch a field on fire...oops! Don't flame me....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    ...and caught on fire.
    'Cause you're too GD fast!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    It started from a lighting strike yesterday and burned up some of the area right next to I-70...when I went out to Loma this morning, you could hardly tell it was there, then when I when I was leaving the trailhead you could literally see the smoke getting thicker and thicker. Then I heard on the sheriff's office channel that they were getting ready to close off the interstate so I high tailed it back to town. I drove by it seconds before they closed off the on-ramps at the Fruita exit. It was burning literally next to the interstate...it was a pretty crazy sight!!! I have no idea how long it will be closed...but it's a pretty descent sized fire. If you are planning on going out to Loma to ride tonight..take Hwy. 50, that's the diversion from I-70 at the moment.

Noah....slow in the shop again today I see????
    This post brought to you and provided by:

The Department of Redundancy Department

mtbr member
    Those tamarisk eating bugs are going to fuel a lot more fires along the Colorado River as they spread uphill. You might say that the Dewey Bridge fire was an indirect result of Biocontrol. Hopefully the old refinery will catch fire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Those tamarisk eating bugs are going to fuel a lot more fires along the Colorado River as they spread uphill. You might say that the Dewey Bridge fire was an indirect result of Biocontrol. Hopefully the old refinery will catch fire.
    I agree that it would be a blessing if that eyesore of a refinery went up in smoke, but as of this morning, they are claiming that the fire is either under control or out, depending on who is talking. 200 acres up in smoke though. Apparently 6 & 50 remained open, even though I-70 was closed for a bit Sunday night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Yeah...it would be nice if that thing went away...but I'm not so sure I'd want it to burn up...that's a whole lot of old chemical crap to be burning up into the air! Not sure I'd want to be evacuated from my house just to get rid of it.
    This post brought to you and provided by:

The Department of Redundancy Department

mtbr member
    Fruitaguy,

You are right of course, the place is darn near a superfund site. Lot's of nasty stuff in the soil and in tanks, more than just petroleum related chems too.