mtbr member
    May 2012

Where should we go in May?

Looking for a spring biking trip. Will be 5 days of riding. Thinking Durango or Crested Butte. Wondering if enough trails would be available in early May and if the weather is usually okay. Have been to Fruita/GJ, wanting to try something new.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Go to Durango, all the trails near town will be dry there. Early May is too early for Crested Butte and most stuff won't be snow free/dry by then. The dry stuff near CB will be in Gunnison out at Hartman Rocks which would make for a fun day of riding and a pit stop for driving down to Durango (depending on where you're coming from)

Another option is to take a day in Montrose to ride Sidewinder or Dry Creek Canyon trails, those will be dry as well.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    Go to Durango, all the trails near town will be dry there. Early May is too early for Crested Butte and most stuff won't be snow free/dry by then. The dry stuff near CB will be in Gunnison out at Hartman Rocks which would make for a fun day of riding and a pit stop for driving down to Durango (depending on where you're coming from)

Another option is to take a day in Montrose to ride Sidewinder or Dry Creek Canyon trails, those will be dry as well.
    I was figuring that Durango would be the best bet. What is the best site for trail information around there?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Trails 2000 | Interactive Map

Mountain Bike Trails near Durango

Both of these are excellent resources. MTBProject will have more descriptions and have recommended rides. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Are the trails in Durango bike able from town? Or driving needed? Any recs on areas in town to stay, will be going through vrbo or airbnb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    Are the trails in Durango bike able from town? Or driving needed? Any recs on areas in town to stay, will be going through vrbo or airbnb.
    Many trails can be easily ridden from town. Of those that will be dry then, only Phils would require a drive. (OK, maybe Jones-Dutch and Haflin, but most don't ride those)
    As far as places to stay, there are no bad areas of Durango. Staying downtown is nice if you want to walk to restaurants and pubs, but even if you stay north (and are still in Durango proper) you can ride your bike or take the trolley and hit downtown easily.
    I would avoid staying up at the ski hill, there won't be anything you can ride from there, except the road, and you will probably want to come into town regularly for food and beer. It is 25 miles from Durango.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    As far as places to stay, there are no bad areas of Durango. Staying downtown is nice if you want to walk to restaurants and pubs, but even if you stay north (and are still in Durango proper) you can ride your bike or take the trolley and hit downtown easily...
    If you're looking at vrbo, maybe that means your budget is not too tight. But I can recommend the hostel in Durango. Stayed there a couple years ago and it was nice. Total bargain.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Colorado
    Eagle trails will be all good in May. I think they have some kind of demo festival as well. Roaring Fork Valley trails will be good then too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    Eagle trails will be all good in May. I think they have some kind of demo festival as well. Roaring Fork Valley trails will be good then too.
    Are these trails around Durango?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    Are these trails around Durango?
    Nope. Eagle is between Vail and Glenwood Springs off I-70. The Roaring Fork Valley leads north from Glenwood to Aspen/Basalt/Carbondale.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"