Thread: Where, oh where

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004

Where, oh where

We love riding the Southwest and we are planning a trip for mid-June. We were wondering what the best options are that time of year. We are Northwest riders and need some sun, but 100's are a bit much for us pale skinned cloud riders. Is Fruita tolerable? I bet Moab will be too hot. What are your suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Being a pale northern man myself, it's not that bad. Just have to ride early in the day!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yup - early and late. You may get fortunate and have the Whole Enchilada open by then in Moab...

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank View Post
    Is Fruita tolerable? I bet Moab will be too hot. What are your suggestions?
    Temps are just more of the same in Fruita and GJ that time of year - or at least not significantly different to make a noticeable change. Ride the La Sals and do some others in the last few hours of sunlight. It's still hot, but i think it's tolerable most of the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by old crank View Post
    Is Fruita tolerable? I bet Moab will be too hot. What are your suggestions?
    I live in Grand Junction, so am used to the summer heat. For me local desert riding in midsummer is only tolerable until about 11am. In the evening it only begins to cool once the sun has set. You'd probably be waiting most of the day out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    if you do come to fruita, and it's too hot (it may or may not be) you can ride in the uncompagre where it's cooler, about an hour or so away.

Tenya Laybacker
    Mar 2004
    Thank you for the info. The La Sal mountains and uncompagre look good too. See you in June!

mtbr member
    I tend to use my night lights often in the Grand Valley summers, not a bad option.