Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Where is the best place in Durango to ride. . .

. . .For a flat lander. More specifically, I'm from Ohio and am going to be in Durango for an afternoon. The thing is, that after noon is going to be on my second day at altitude above sea level. What would be a good trail to ride for me? Something not too crazy aerobic, but still technical (I love technical). Would Purgatory be a good option? I'm going to have a 5 inch HT with me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    This would be my recommendation,,I am originally from ohio as well

http://www.spokejunkies.com/reviews/...ge=junctioncrk

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks spokejunkies for all the geat rides. See you next year Tybo.
    timan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The only thing is, I'm coming from sea level to altitude, and I've been sailing for the last few weeks, so my arobic fitness isnt as good as it should be/usually is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm thinking sand Canyon. Thoughts?

Shop Owner/Frame Builder
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ca7erham
    The only thing is, I'm coming from sea level to altitude, and I've been sailing for the last few weeks, so my arobic fitness isnt as good as it should be/usually is.

ca7erham- you are "thinking" about this in the wrong way. When in Rome do as the Romans. I'm from about 1kft above sea level and have been traveling to Durango for over 10 yrs now. If you are in Durango and you do not partake in the beauty and majesty that is the CO Mtns then you are missing out. I wouldn't necessarily recommend some back country excursion but the climb up to Gudy's Rest from the end of the CT is awesome. If you are feeling ok, then continue on to Dry Fork->Hoffeines and back. At a very mellow pace it would be about 3-3.5 hrs. My wife (who does not ride) and I did it 1 yr in about 4hrs. "Normal" pace has it around 2.5hrs.

So my polite suggestion is that if you are going to the Sushi bar....don't order the chicken fingers. You'll be fine.

The 3 of us stop for a photo at Gudy's Rest which overlooks the last bit of singletrack on the Colorado Trail

Oh...some other suggestions would be Animas City Mtn or Horse Gulch. But Junction Crk trail head (CT) up to Gudy's Rest and around would be the easiest to find and navigate.

Enjoy,
    CJB
    www.HammerheadBicycles.com
    Austin's dirty little secret

www.TrueFabricationBicycles.com
    Texas Born; Texas Bred

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    We're going to be in Lake City for the two weeks, just we're making a quick sweep through Durango (I may be riding Monarch later in our trip), so I'm not worried about missing out. Plus I just found out that my 52 YO father will be joining me for the ride, so I'd really prefer to stay with in the parameters I set out earlier (Plus I can plan more Durango area rides for next year)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    But I will look into the trail that you mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well, I looked around a bit and decided that based on time and what everyone else wants to do (one car for 5 people, only 2 of whom want to ride), a good number of the places are too far out. I'm looking at Dutch creek (http://www.spokejunkies.com/reviews/...age=dutchcreek) or Champion Down (http://www.spokejunkies.com/reviews/...nebec_champion)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Its sounding more and more like the only thing the others are open to is Purgatory. How are the trails there?

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Sheesh,Man up already!! ,plenty of 60/70 yr olds do this ride on a regular basis.
    It's Colorado for crying out loud,your gonna climb no matter WHAT you ride.Listen to SJ's advice,take your time and enjoy the scenery.You and your dad will be happy you did.
    It will make the beer taste even better!
    PS Dutch creek is MUCH HARDER than dry fork,etc...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Really? Thats exactly the opposite of what the review says. I've got no problem with the techy stuff, its a crazy amount of climbing that I'm worried about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You both would be sucking wind on Dutch. And that's not just on the hike-a-bike parts. Oh yeah, and the afternoon exposure up there is much worse.

Do the Hoffeins Loop clockwise from the Lightener Creek trailhead. Do it slowly and take the short out-and-back to Gudy's for the view back to town.

I saw a family from Texas -- kids, parents AND grandparents -- doing this loop the other day. It was tough for them, but they were havinng a blast.

Flaccid Member
    I would suggest pacing yourself. Keep your breathing rate in check and your heart rate. If you have to, stop and rest. Fuel up properly before and during the ride. I'm 50, I'll be hitting up Durango really soon, for some fishing and some riding. It's not a race, let your breathing rate dictate your pace. Nothing wrong with going slow, stopping and enjoying the scenery all around you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dutch via a shuttle is easy(and a very long shuttle) but via Jones and Pinkerton/Flagstaff is much harder than the Jctn Creek lollipop i recommended...for a shorter ride see the hoffeins version of that ride(from lightner creek) as others suggested

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, I should have said that we intended to shuttle (Is it doable by minivan?) as there is supposed to be some hiking in the area for others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If i remember correctly elbert creek road is pretty mellow...youll prolly be fine

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks a bunch, thats sounds like the way to go. We're leaving tonight cant wait for the whole adventure.

mtbr member
    I'm headed to Durango in October with my wife. Has anyone done the ski mountain? Is there stuff up there for non-hucking, trail guys/gals? I plan to rent a bike and I think it would be fun to take the lifts up and see the scenery in downhill manner. Also headed to Ouray for a few days. Any suggestions on non-technical rides up there?

Blargh
    Apr 2004
    I don't think any lifts will be running in October. In fact, Purgatory will be a ghost town, for the most part. Try riding up Horse Gulch, in town.

mtbr member
    Cool. Thanks, Sandbagger. I'll see what I can dig up when I get there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you have two cars, shuttle to the top and ride Dutch creek to Hermosa creek.. It is near the top of Purgatory and is mostly down. A bit technical, but a great ride. Despite not being acclimated at all, I did fine.

Blargh
    Apr 2004
    If you consider that, just pay attention to the weather. Once you get into October at 9,000', blizzards are not uncommon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rode part of that and I will say that it is a good trail, but it is very different riding then the area near Purgatory.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    You people are wasting perfectly good vacations wienering about the stupid altitude. You're comming to an awesome mtn. biking destination and all you want to ride are easy trails. You might as well rent a texas wheel chairs and go cruise the jeep roads. At least then you'll get to see a few things.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast