Dirtmistress

What's CB Like In September?

I had so much fun on a recent trip to Crested Butte that I'm interested in coming back in September. Maybe the week of the 3rd or the 10th.

Is monsoon season over by then?
    Is it hot or warm with afternoon t-storms?
    Are leaves changing?
    Does the transition to winter begin around then or a bit later in the month?
    Obviously I know weather is unpredictable but what has been your experience around that time of year?

I very often go to Brian Head Utah in September. It's around 9000 ft. and the resort shuts down around the 3rd week because the weather starts changing.
    I really had a blast a few weeks ago and I still have visions of ribbons of singletrack dancing in my head!
    Thanks
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    best time to ride, by a longshot, IMO. no more flies and mosquitos, monsoons ending. leaves changing. perfect temps (which for me is 65). fewer people. can be cattle issues on some rides (i.e. 401 tends to have cattle in the fall)

by the end of the month, one or two of the high rides may end, but in general snows don't tend to shut things down until Oct 10 or so. And often there is good riding until the end of Oct even.

Agreed, but plan for inclement weather regardless. I was there Labor day 2004 when they saw 6" of snow at the resort.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    I was in CB / Gunnison / Breckenridge and also Fruita / Grand Junction after Taos and Santa Fe for close to 3 weeks in September 2010, for a grand total of 3 hours of rain while in Breck. We wore shorts and t-shirts every day. ... But nights can be damn cold in Gunnison !!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just keep on eye on the long term weather forecasts as it could go either way but odds are it would be awesome. But as stated the cattle invade the area around that time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would go for it and head out to cb!!! If the weather is bad there is this other bail out riding place that is not too shabby either....fruita!

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    I have been in CB a couple of times in September, will be going again 14-17 and tent camping at irwin lake. It gets chilly for sure that time of year. Make sure you have summer and fall/winter clothes. Both trips I have done in September were quite different. One was beautiful weather the whole time, mid 60's. The other was cold with rain/snow mix. It never stuck to the ground but made for cold night and chilly starts to the ride.

Aspens are usually great this time of year and the crowds are pretty much gone. It has become my faviorite time to ride in CB. I usually do the 2nd week in September, doing the 3rd week this year.

I agree go for it, you will have a good time. Even if it snows it usually does not stick in the lower parts of CB and their will be something to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    If it does snow, it usually melts pretty quickly in September, and a little snow up here usually makes hartman's as good as it gets down in gunny. You could also cruise over kebler to ride Paonia for a day.

mtbr member
    Went a couple years ago over Labor Day weekend....best weather we have ever had there, but you never know for sure. Overall the first week or two of September are really nice in the Colorado high country.

Write up from the trip.....no thunder storms at all.
    Front Range MTB: Ponce De Leon.....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    sept is probably one of my favorite months here. The weather is usually nice, hardly any t-storms, tourists are gone and riding through the aspens while they are changing is awesome. Like most people have said, I wouldn't worry too much about the weather. It would be rare to get a huge snow in early Sept. Even so, there are other options to ride that are close by and the snow melts quick if we did get any.

Also, if you like beer/chili the Fall Beer/Chili fest is on the 8th and makes for a fun Saturday after a nice ride in the morning. Vinotok is on the weekend of the 22nd which is kind of like a big town party with a bon fire (not sure what the status of the bon fire is this year given the stage 1 fire ban)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Vinotok!!!!

It's my favorite "holiday" ever. I think if I ever leave this place, I'll still try to make it here every year for Vinotok. I'll be bummed if the fire ban affects things.

mtbr member
    Like hot apple pie.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    Sept is best! In addition to all the aforementioned reasons, post-:Labor Day all the tourists have gone home. You'll have the place to yourself.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    CB is nice in September, but Durango is just as good if not better.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    May 2011
    FYI

STAGE 1 FIRE RESTRICTIONS REPEALED; Effective 7/31/12 at 12:01 pm. Today, Gunnison County officially repealed the Stage 1 Fire Restrictions that were previously instituted. For more information, please contact the Gunnison County Sheriff's Office at (970) 641-1113.

camp fires are back on now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Would Pearl Pass be full of lightning and rain this Sat? What time is it starting now? Safe till noon or so? The forecast changed from sunny to storm in the last 2 days.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake View Post
    Would Pearl Pass be full of lightning and rain this Sat? What time is it starting now? Safe till noon or so? The forecast changed from sunny to storm in the last 2 days.
    looks like less monsoon moisture this weekend, you should be fine til at least noon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the beta, I'll be prepared! Also BLM (along 32 off Gunnison) tent alley during weekend? I like KOA - when I'm with my family, but I want to stay off crowd when I'm solo...