lone rider
    Jul 2007

what to ride in Rifle?

Looks like we will be going to rifle just wondering what to ride. I'm coming up blank on this one. Roan Bluffs? Rifle Falls? Flat Tops?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    JQS trail, Rifle Falls to Little Box Canyon. Bike shop on Railroad Ave.

mtbr member
    What Whip said - Check with Andrew at Colorado Custom Cycles on Railroad Ave (east side of the street, right before the traffic light). There's some cool moto singletrack in the JQS area, but might be kind of tricky linking up the pedal-power friendly routes your first time out. There's the 2150 trail up at the end of the road thru Little Box Canyon. Pretty much an out-back. Fairly smooth, even grade = rippin' fun on the way down, nice remote/underutilized feel to it. There is also some nifty high country riding to be had off FR 245 in the West Elk area - Cherry Creek and Mansfield Ditch trail. Andrew has maps and can give you the low down on directions and such.

If you don't mind doing a bit of exploring, Rifle has pretty dandy (and under-rated) riding

lone rider
    Jul 2007

Good job! Underrated Rifle

Underrated and overgrown just the way I like it. Thanks for the heads up. Some photos from 2150:

Didn't see the dog until I downloaded the photo

mtbr member
    That's exactly what I love about the 2150 trail! Nothing like ripping that descent with wildflowers over your handlebars!

Jul 2009

Burbling brooks - check
    beaver ponds - check
    wildflowers/vegetation over the handlebars - check
    nice middle ring climb - check
    rippin descent - check
    unbeaten path - check

2150.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet! Glad to see people are getting out and riding the 2150! From looking at the Gazetter, it looks like there is another good-sized loop one could tack on to the north side of the 2150, dropping down a drainage, and climbing back up another one (Sorry, I don't have my map in front of me for a more accurate description).

Jul 2009
    There were three other riders in the parking lot when we left. Never saw them on 2150, so there must be some loops out there. They may have shuttled?