Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

What to ride after Horsethief / 18 mi......

Hi all,

Heading back to Fruita at the end of March ...I assume conditions/weather are usually perfect that time of year, correct?

Anyhow, I rode Horsethief and 18 mi road last Spring (May), so what are the best of the rest of the trails?

Anything up there in comparison? Will repeat those 2 if necessary, but new trails/areas are always more exciting!

Cheers....

mtbr member
    Lunch Loops are fun. A little bit of everything at all levels.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

Linoleum Knife
    Moab.

Just Horsethief? There are quite a few other trails off Mary's. Should keep you busy for most of a day.

I usually spend one day riding everything at 18rd, then one day riding almost everything at Mary's. Then I go home.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy View Post
    Moab.

Just Horsethief? There are quite a few other trails off Mary's. Should keep you busy for most of a day.

I usually spend one day riding everything at 18rd, then one day riding almost everything at Mary's. Then I go home.
    Well, heading to Moab after, so I was just looking for trails in the Fruita area.

I hear you on Mary's - I may just do that....

Linoleum Knife
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/Images/loma.jpg

Yeah - I usually do something along the lines of:
    Rustlers-HorseThief-Steve's-Lions-Troy-Lions-Mack-Mary's back to the lot. A good 2-3+ hours.

Lunch Loops exist, but I really don't see the point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Lunch loops is great, tech riding. Def worth your time. Most everything around horse thief. Troy Built, Lyons, Mack are all fun. Palisades Rim is also very good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Western Rim out in Rabbit Valley (near the Utah border). You could end that ride and continue on to Moab.
    The trail has some tricky route finding so print a map from Western RIm Trail -- gjmountainbiking.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    so you've ridden horsethief...have you ridden Troy built, or Mack Ridge, or Lions Loop? All super fun.

Have you ridden ALL of 18 rd? Sarlacc is new out there, so you haven't ridden that.

Out in Junction there are the lunch loops, and Butterknife is a super fun trail out there as well.

Rabbit Valley has some great riding as well.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Don't forget Moore Fun when riding the Mack/Loma area.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    Hit Palisade Rim Tr. and stop into Rapid Creek Cycles in Palisade for some trail info.
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade CO Ride the Palisade Rim Trail
    Niner

COPMOBA

Paste eater

LL is the best of the big 3 if you ask me. HT is fun but I don't see it as a better tail than anything else out at the KoKo trails. Don't miss Moore Fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Yeah - I usually do something along the lines of:
    Rustlers-HorseThief-Steve's-Lions-Troy-Lions-Mack-Mary's back to the lot. A good 2-3+ hours.
    2-3+ hours? Dayum! Mary's-HorseThief-Steve's-Mary's alone is 3+ hours for me and my crew.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Have you ever ridden LL?

LL are awesome and personally I would go there before anything else in the area.

Lunch Loops > Kokopelli > 18 rd
    2012 Knolly Chilcotin
    2002 Haro VGF V3 - Still have my first real mtb

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Lunch Loops > Kokopelli > 18 rd
    I approve of this message.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Sweet - thanks guys.....going to hit Lunch Loops for sure.

Another thing - are there any (decent) tent camping options close to the Lunch Loops or Kokopelli trailhead? Last time I camped up in the Monument, but would like to get a little closer if possible.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last year I camped at the State Park in Fruita. It's not "wilderness" for sure, but it's comfortable and clean. It's probably halfway between Lunch Loops and Kokopelli.

Camping in the Fruita Section of Colorado River | Colorado Parks and Wildlife
    whatever...

Paste eater
    Ya, 18 road. Although, I think the camping up in the Monument actually puts you closer to the LL.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy42 View Post
    Have you ever ridden LL?
    I've ridden about 90% of it. It's OK. If it was in my back yard, I'm sure I would ride it a lot - but I'm already in the car, and I can think of about 20 other places I'd rather ride.

I don't like Moore Fun either.

Everyone has their perspective. You can love those trails all you want, and more power to you.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I'll 2nd that.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I've ridden about 90% of it. It's OK. If it was in my back yard, I'm sure I would ride it a lot - but I'm already in the car, and I can think of about 20 other places I'd rather ride.

I'm starting to think that mt biking may not be the right recreation for you.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Everyone has their perspective. You can love those trails all you want, and more power to you.
    It really just depends on what kind of trails you enjoy the most. A lot of guys here will go on about how only the most technical trails possible are the only worthwhile trails. Others enjoy the faster, roller coaster buff singletrack. Personally, I can do the more technical stuff although I have to really be feeling it to try the more hairball stuff. I no longer wear rock rash as a badge of radness, it just hurts and interferes with the rest of my life.
    I'd rather ride than take 10 min at every feature to stop, scope, talk it over with the brahs, smoke up, set up the camera(s), try it, fall, fall again, maybe make it maybe not, get all beat up - all to go 25 yards.

BUT, to each their own. Everyone calibrates their fun meter differently.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    It really just depends on what kind of trails you enjoy the most. A lot of guys here will go on about how only the most technical trails possible are the only worthwhile trails. Others enjoy the faster, roller coaster buff singletrack. Personally, I can do the more technical stuff although I have to really be feeling it to try the more hairball stuff. I no longer wear rock rash as a badge of radness, it just hurts and interferes with the rest of my life.
    I'd rather ride than take 10 min at every feature to stop, scope, talk it over with the brahs, smoke up, set up the camera(s), try it, fall, fall again, maybe make it maybe not, get all beat up - all to go 25 yards.

BUT, to each their own. Everyone calibrates their fun meter differently.
    This is it exactly.

IMHO, There are a lot of trails that are way too much work for too little payoff. Why spend 30 minutes scrabbling up some loose, rutted, dusty, miserable climb just to be rewarded with a loose, rutted, dusty, miserable descent. There are a ton of other places I could be enjoying myself more.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    This is it exactly.

IMHO, There are a lot of trails that are way too much work for too little payoff. Why spend 30 minutes scrabbling up some loose, rutted, dusty, miserable climb just to be rewarded with a loose, rutted, dusty, miserable descent. There are a ton of other places I could be enjoying myself more.
    I'm trying to figure out what trail at LL you are disparaging with this description...

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what trail at LL you are disparaging with this description...
    My guess is Moore Fun since he mentioned not caring for that either. FWIW I agree on a Moore Fun. Doesn't do anything for me.

I disagree on LL though. plenty of great trails without have to armor up etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Moore Fun is at Kokopelli. For my skill level, I have to be in the right mood to try it. There is a lot of hiking sections, but there is satisfaction in hitting some of the difficult sections.

My guess is he rode up the Tabegauche double-track and back down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast