mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What are the odds of being able to ride 401 in CB on Memorial Weekend?

I'll be in the area this year with some friends, wondering whether 401 or Dr's Park will be rideable/clear of snow on Memorial Day? I know we won't know for sure, but for the sake of planning, what are odds? Slim to none-- too much snow likely? Or most likely dry by then?

Sorry i'm not familiar enough with the climate there.

We're racing half growler Saturday and will be looking for a sweet place to ride on Sunday, hopefully in the high(er) country!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Slim to none for the whole 401 trail.

You can do 401 as an out and back, though - just ride up as much of it as you can...

To be honest - you can do the same for Dr Park from the river...

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    I'll be in the area this year with some friends, wondering whether 401 or Dr's Park will be rideable/clear of snow on Memorial Day? I know we won't know for sure, but for the sake of planning, what are odds? Slim to none-- too much snow likely? Or most likely dry by then?

Sorry i'm not familiar enough with the climate there.

We're racing half growler Saturday and will be looking for a sweet place to ride on Sunday, hopefully in the high(er) country!
    I agree with the Earl of Bacon there, slim to none. Dunno about Doctor's but the spectacular part of 401 particularly will almost certainly be snowy even if Central/Southern CO stays relatively dry as the winter has been so far.

Over on this side of the divide near Salida there will be much good singletrack rideable by end of May. Pretty much everything below 10K is dry by then in a normal year. Two awesome sections of the Rainbow, our local bit of Colorado Trail, the Arkansas Hills Trail System accessible right from town...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    April snows mean that there is little hope for 401, i'm guessing. Still need to get more local info about Dr's Park.

TomP-- recommend a big (4-6hr) point to point ride near Salida? something with some long descents and fun techy stuff? We'd probably pay for a shuttle service if the pt to pt ride looks good enough. We've got a group of racers with us that also enjoy some technical challenges and descending, most on full squish.

Thanks for the advice.

mtbr member
    slim to no chance on Doctor's also. you could do an out and back, but will still be snowy up top. You can keep checking MBHOF for updates.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    ... TomP-- recommend a big (4-6hr) point to point ride near Salida? something with some long descents and fun techy stuff? We'd probably pay for a shuttle service if the pt to pt ride looks good enough. We've got a group of racers with us that also enjoy some technical challenges and descending, most on full squish...
    Salida is not really a big shuttle place. There's the classic shuttle to Monarch Pass for the Crest, but of course that's a month and a half out...

Other than that we tend to have sections of good trail. Most of them involve riding up a jeep road or graded gravel in order to make a loop.

By Memorial Day we should have two sections of Rainbow Trail and one nice techy section of Colorado Trail open. The rainbow section up off the Marshall Pass road, as I described earlier today in the thread about the growler, that's a damned nice section of trail and the jeep road climb half of it is really pretty. Not 4-6 hours...

The Colorado Trail from either Highway 50 or Blanks Cabin to Chalk Creek is a really nice technical bit of riding. I'm confident that it will be clear by Memorial Day. It's more fun south to north, but if you did it from Blanks to Chalk and Back it would be 4 or more hours depending on how fast you are. Actually I'd probably do it out and back from Chalk if I was going to do it two ways. More downhill south-to-north.

You could check with these guys: Home | Absolute Bikes Adventures | Guided Mountain Bike Rides in Salida, Colorado to see if they could work out a shuttle ride that would scratch your itch for that.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Salida is not really a big shuttle place. There's the classic shuttle to Monarch Pass for the Crest, but of course that's a month and a half out...
    YOU LIE, OLD MAN! Salida is a great shuttle place.

Other than that we tend to have sections of good trail. Most of them involve riding up a jeep road or graded gravel in order to make a loop.
    And that's where you bring in the shuttle. Eliminate that dirt road $hit and get MOAR SINGLETRACK!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    YOU LIE, OLD MAN! Salida is a great shuttle place.

And that's where you bring in the shuttle. Eliminate that dirt road $hit and get MOAR SINGLETRACK!
    Oh calm down. Think about your blood pressure. You don't need to be getting yourself all upset, you could have another episode like the last time.

You young wippersnappers don't have any respect for your elders and betters.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Oh calm down. Think about your blood pressure. You don't need to be getting yourself all upset, you could have another episode like the last time.

You young wippersnappers don't have any respect for your elders and betters.
    Well what do you expect when you start talkin' all we todd ed?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Well what do you expect when you start talkin' all we todd ed?
    Now hold on there, you are being TOTALLY OFFENSIVE by using the R-Word, even when you hide it with internet obfuscation talk. As Stephen Colbert wisely councils us, do not use the word retarded, because that is totally gay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the advice. My group and i parked at the CB info center and rode Snodgrass, then Lupine, then after ashort hydration break we rode up Tony's to Upper Upper, then Strand and Strand Bonus. Perfect day.