Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 201 to 237 of 237
  1. #201
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jboyd122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    I think if you pushed west for another 1.5 hours then you'll be fine in Moab. Only a chance of rain Friday morning, then clearing up for the weekend.
    That's one option we're considering. If we can get out of the metro area early enough it might work.

  2. #202
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Moab is chilly but dry. Sun is already popping out in GJ and the snow is melting off. Supposed to be 50 by 3PM. Looking at the map it appears it might stay pretty clear the rest of the afternoon (only 5-10% chance of precip). Loma and Rabbit Valley could be rideable later tonight if this keeps up!

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    24
    Moisture has been pretty nominal thus far. Up until now Red Hill has been bone dry, and Prince Creek is 99% dry. If the moisture continues to be limited Things could be in good shape by Sunday.

    roaringfork

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    487
    Hey TomP, how is Monarch Crest lookin? Are we getting close yet?

    Coverage still looks pretty nice at the ski area, hehe
    Western Slope trail conditions and links-11011232_10153850452527662_8849112754359499606_n.jpg

  5. #205
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,679
    A couple of sunny days and this should be good to go.

  6. #206
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    628
    Drool @ Monarch
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  7. #207
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    17
    How are the conditions in Gunnison/CB area?

  8. #208
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by hothb View Post
    How are the conditions in Gunnison/CB area?
    Hartman's in Gunny is good. Only a few trails dry in CB at the moment, still cold rainy/snowy. It may be disappointing for people if they think they are going to be riding trails around CB this weekend.

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    Hartman's in Gunny is good. Only a few trails dry in CB at the moment, still cold rainy/snowy. It may be disappointing for people if they think they are going to be riding trails around CB this weekend.
    Bummer...heading up there this weekend to see some family. Was hoping to get a ride in. What you're saying is I should probably just leave the bike at home, eh?

  10. #210
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by hothb View Post
    Bummer...heading up there this weekend to see some family. Was hoping to get a ride in. What you're saying is I should probably just leave the bike at home, eh?
    Definitely bring the bike. Hartmans is riding really nice, but they also have the Growler race going on this weekend so it will be busy.

    In CB Upper, Upper Upper, Whetstone, Tony's, Lupine are all dry. Strand Bonus is dry, but Strand proper is probably still mega muddy up at the top, same with Lower Loop. The caves loop and lower cement creek trail are dry as well, but that's pretty much it. We've had quite a bit of snow the last few weeks and it still looks like mid winter above 11k right now.

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    Definitely bring the bike. Hartmans is riding really nice, but they also have the Growler race going on this weekend so it will be busy.

    In CB Upper, Upper Upper, Whetstone, Tony's, Lupine are all dry. Strand Bonus is dry, but Strand proper is probably still mega muddy up at the top, same with Lower Loop. The caves loop and lower cement creek trail are dry as well, but that's pretty much it. We've had quite a bit of snow the last few weeks and it still looks like mid winter above 11k right now.
    Okay cool sounds good man. Weather looking ****ty but you never know what can happen.

  12. #212
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    17
    One more thing...guessing I can find all these trails somehow...? Best bet go to the shop in town or is there an online portal you guys have?

  13. #213
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    63

    CB Trail Conditions

    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    Definitely bring the bike. Hartmans is riding really nice, but they also have the Growler race going on this weekend so it will be busy.

    In CB Upper, Upper Upper, Whetstone, Tony's, Lupine are all dry. Strand Bonus is dry, but Strand proper is probably still mega muddy up at the top, same with Lower Loop. The caves loop and lower cement creek trail are dry as well, but that's pretty much it. We've had quite a bit of snow the last few weeks and it still looks like mid winter above 11k right now.
    Any updates on Crested Butte? What are the chances 401 will be dry in the next week or so?

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    63
    I see the 401 tread now, sorry new to this forum.

  15. #215
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,138
    How are the Summit County trails looking these days? Specifically the CO Trail between Keystone and Breck? Any chance of them being rideable by the weekend of 6/28?

  16. #216
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    How are the Summit County trails looking these days? Specifically the CO Trail between Keystone and Breck? Any chance of them being rideable by the weekend of 6/28?
    By the 28th? Yeah, probably, especially with the current forecast calling for it to get warm and sunny. The connections between the CT and Keystone gulch might still have some snow though.

    Right now runoff is in full swing. We'll probably hit peak streamflow over the next 4-5 days. There is lots of water pouring out of the high country right now.

  17. #217
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    101
    Anyone been up to Leadville? Wanting to pre-ride the Silver Rush 50 course before the weekend of the 4th, but not holding out much hope. Last time I was up there a few weeks ago there was a ton of snow.

  18. #218
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    628
    Breck is dry and loose up on West ridge ct.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  19. #219
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,412
    Hi, CO riders,

    Any issues on CT segments 6-16 to be aware of? Have a mind to hop on it forth with. Not a FB user, so I don't get the trail foundation updates. Thanks loads from SoCal.

    Mike

  20. #220
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    80
    I was on Monarch Crest today which is seg 15 and a little bit of 16 to the turnoff for Silver Creek and it rode beautifully. Two weeks ago I did Seg 6 from Kenosha to Georgia Pass and it was great. This time of year the snow is long melted and no real snow has fallen yet. Just watch out for TStorms which I hit thunder on both rides.

  21. #221
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,412
    Thanks, tomcat!

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    80
    The Monarch Crest is one of the longer stretch above treeline between 6 and 16. The area around Breckenridge and Copper Mountain have good stretches above treeline but they just did the Breck Epic there a couple weeks ago and I'm sure are all clear. Most of the route outside of those areas are below treeline.The CT runs through Mt Massive Wilderness and Collegiate Peaks Wilderness in this stretch and needs to be bypassed.

  23. #223
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Hi, CO riders,

    Any issues on CT segments 6-16 to be aware of? Have a mind to hop on it forth with. Not a FB user, so I don't get the trail foundation updates. Thanks loads from SoCal.

    Mike
    The part over the Ten Mile Range ( The ridge that separates Copper Mtn and Breckenridge) will have a lot of pushing regardless of which side you tackle it from. Spectacular place to be but brutal getting up there. You could bypass it via the peaks trail and about 7 miles of paved bike path if you so choose.

  24. #224
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    The part over the Ten Mile Range ( The ridge that separates Copper Mtn and Breckenridge) will have a lot of pushing regardless of which side you tackle it from. Spectacular place to be but brutal getting up there. You could bypass it via the peaks trail and about 7 miles of paved bike path if you so choose.
    Thanks for that, zrm!

    I have done the trail previously, including the Foundation wilderness detours. TM Range, yes, I was gripped getting over that exposure with scary weather and dumping rain. Good times : )

    I'm curious about any closures, re-routes or anything that might throw a hitch in my getalong; sounds like I'm in the clear. Gimme a nod if you see a yellow Bronson, white Poc helmet and XL grin on the trail. I'll be starting Sunday with two bros who will loop back after a night out.

    CO love,

    Mike

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    18
    Am planning on heading out to Monarch Crest this weekend. Unfortunately, my partner had to bail. This will be my first time at Monarch Crest so I don't think I want to ride it alone, given some of the testimony's I've read. Will Labor Day weekend be busy enough that I could tag along with a group do you think? Or, open question, is there anyone in a similar predicament who would like to ride? I would classify myself as a Cat 2 rider, so nothing crazy fast by any means, but I am not a beginner either. Sunday morning was my target ride bright and early to avoid any rain/storms while above tree line.

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    628
    Take the shuttle and make a friend or two. Otherwise just stay near the groups. You'll only be ahead if you are super fast and behind if you are super slow. Majority of riders on the crest are like yourself
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  27. #227
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    80
    I have ridden the Crest twice in August. Both mid week. The first time I saw at least 6 groups. The second ride I didn't see anyone til Marshall Pass but then saw a couple groups. Labor Day Weekend should be quite busy.
    I wouldn't be too concerned riding solo if you can change a tire I wouldn't worry. The route finding is straightforward and signed. Only minor difficulty is as bottom of Silver Creek but you can see the trail even where it goes through the creek. There are a few techy sections on Silver Creek but otherwise I wouldn't call the ride more than intemediate for technical on the actual Crest.

  28. #228
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    18
    Thanks for the information 69erEverything & tomcat32. Have a great labor day weekend!

  29. #229
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,948
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat32 View Post
    I have ridden the Crest twice in August. Both mid week. The first time I saw at least 6 groups. The second ride I didn't see anyone til Marshall Pass but then saw a couple groups. Labor Day Weekend should be quite busy.
    I wouldn't be too concerned riding solo if you can change a tire I wouldn't worry. The route finding is straightforward and signed. Only minor difficulty is as bottom of Silver Creek but you can see the trail even where it goes through the creek. There are a few techy sections on Silver Creek but otherwise I wouldn't call the ride more than intemediate for technical on the actual Crest.
    That bottom of Silver Creek section got some love yesterday. Now rideable (somewhat tech) all the way from the plank bridge to the doubletrack without any water.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  30. #230
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,141
    12/28/2015 - Fruita and Grand Junction have lots of snow. It'll be awhile...
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  31. #231
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    24
    Rustlers & Steves/Marys/Horsethief should be rideable by the weekend.

    roaringfork

  32. #232
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Is snodgrass currently open in CB? Decided to head over tomorrow to get out of the heat and we are staying up there so I was hoping to just ride form the condo. I read it closes in July/Aug for grazing and to check cbmba.org, but the last update on there is 5/31

  33. #233
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,138
    I'm pretty sure it opens in July/August, and closes after Labor Day.

    Do yourself a favor and ride Lupine and Gunsight too, that's a nice little loop from the mountain.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  34. #234
    Epic eater
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    331
    I show the cbmba page shows "updated July 23".

    Crested Butte Trail Report | Crested Butte Mountain Bike Association

    I happen to be headed to CB also, in Gunnison now, will hit CB tomorrow.
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

  35. #235
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Thanks guys.

    If you click the trail name and go to its page it says 5/31 but someone in another thread said its open. Gonna maybe try and hit Snodgrass tomorrow while the family is at the kids museum or hanging at he pool. Then maybe check out Lupine Sunday early am?

  36. #236
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Thanks guys.

    If you click the trail name and go to its page it says 5/31 but someone in another thread said its open. Gonna maybe try and hit Snodgrass tomorrow while the family is at the kids museum or hanging at he pool. Then maybe check out Lupine Sunday early am?
    You likely know this by now, but yes it is currently open. Just remember that if the gate is supposed to be closed, CLOSE IT BEHIND YOU. There have been problems again with people not doing the right thing, which is rather confusing but seems to be the norm these days. Please do the right thing or we will lose access.

    Oh, and if you do it from the Washington Gulch side please try to drive the speed limit and slow for those not in a vehicle. The speeding and buzzing of walkers/dogs/bikers/kids/runners on the drainages has gotten out of hand. Virtually everyone I've seen doing it has a Colorado license plate. I realize you aren't from the Denver area, so this is for those who are that maybe reading this.

    This isn't the Front Range and your not racing the guy next to you so you can get to the next stoplight faster, slow down.

  37. #237
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeCB View Post
    You likely know this by now, but yes it is currently open. Just remember that if the gate is supposed to be closed, CLOSE IT BEHIND YOU. There have been problems again with people not doing the right thing, which is rather confusing but seems to be the norm these days. Please do the right thing or we will lose access.

    Oh, and if you do it from the Washington Gulch side please try to drive the speed limit and slow for those not in a vehicle. The speeding and buzzing of walkers/dogs/bikers/kids/runners on the drainages has gotten out of hand. Virtually everyone I've seen doing it has a Colorado license plate. I realize you aren't from the Denver area, so this is for those who are that maybe reading this.

    This isn't the Front Range and your not racing the guy next to you so you can get to the next stoplight faster, slow down.
    Thanks for the info. Did Snodgrass via Teddy's as a loop from the base area Saturday and it was perfect timing, I was done and met up with the family just as they were finishing up at the kids museum. Then Sunday AM went to the Lupine TH on Slate River Rd and rode it as an out and back. Again, timed it perfect and made it back just as the family was ready to go to breakfast.

    Ran into a guy I know Saturday and they were doing Doctors Sunday am.... was tempted to try and tag along but I knew there was no way I could pull that one off without bailing on the family. Next time.

    Fun quick rides, perfect for what I was looking for this trip. At least I have a little more trail info for next time when I may want to try and hit Gunsight, and the lower Loop trails.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •