Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Rim trail in Snowmass is open all the way. Normally the second half is closed this time of year for Elk Calving, but due to the warm weather the elk have already moved on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Basalt Mtn is riding very well right now, dry for this time of year (not shocking I guess).

mtbr member
    We have a trail condition system that shows which trails are good to ride. We use it extensively here in Utah, especially Park City where multiple groups that are up at the resorts update the trail conditions daily (trail builders, shops, foundations, etc.). I recently added trail systems from Fruita, Grand Junction, and Steamboat Springs. Not sure if you Colorado riders would be interested in a trail condition viewer. Would be great to see updates out there. The site is The Skid Map

If you would be interested in such a feature, or having a trails conditions viewer for your area, email us at info@skidmap.com.

Lord Thigh Master
    Jul 2012
    Gunnison/Crested Butte is Awesome now with the rain!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any word on Sand Canyon conditions?

snickers driven

Phil's?

Will be in Cortez on Friday- beta on Phil's appreciated

snickers driven
    Answer my own question- there's 12" of wet snow in Cortez with more on the way this weekend. Prolly March before this place opens back up.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB ABQ View Post
    Answer my own question- there's 12" of wet snow in Cortez with more on the way this weekend. Prolly March before this place opens back up.
    Like from today? BEtter not make it down to Moab! Been raining here all day.

mtbr member
    Anyone have insight on when Hartman's Rocks generally opens back up? Is it one of the earlier or later things to open in the gunnison/CB area?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicket? View Post
    Anyone have insight on when Hartman's Rocks generally opens back up? Is it one of the earlier or later things to open in the gunnison/CB area?
    Usually April, last year was a low snow year and unusually warm so it opened in March. After the snow melts they usually keep the gates closed off to mountain bikers until things totally dry out. The gunnison area is still under a bit of snow, but we're supposed to have some pretty warm temps this week...patience!

Lots of nice webcams if you're curious about the snow situation
    Webcams | West Elk Project

mtbr member
    BDKeg...thanks for the info. Going to be heading to CB for ski trip at the end of this month, and am considering bringing my bike along. Will anything in the area be rideable on a regular mtb? If not, do any shops in CB rent fat bikes?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    BDKeg...thanks for the info. Going to be heading to CB for ski trip at the end of this month, and am considering bringing my bike along. Will anything in the area be rideable on a regular mtb? If not, do any shops in CB rent fat bikes?
    I wouldn't bring the bike since nothing in CB will be rideable. Hartman rocks in gunny won't be open either. The closest stuff that will be rideable will be in Salida or in the Grand Junction area.

As far as a fat bike, I would check with the alpineer or Big Al's. I remember one of these places was advertising their fat bike rentals this winter.

mtbr member
    the riding is great in Fruita and Rabbit Valley!!! Neil Beltchenko: Fruita Mountain Biking 3-11-13

mtbr member
    It rained a few days ago, I'm hoping by first week in April!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    as for the Skid Map - it is great, great concept, great resource. the problem is it is a pain in the ass to update. it is supposed to be easy, but for some reason, it isn't. hence it is not current. all trails in fruita and junction, right now, are AWESOME.

Tigers love pepper...
    Anybody confirmed Ribbon and Butterknife are good to go?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Anybody confirmed Ribbon and Butterknife are good to go?
    Ribbon confirmed all dry as of last Saturday. Don't know on Butterknife for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    It rained a few days ago, I'm hoping by first week in April!!!
    weather looks pretty stormy for the next 2 weeks here, you should be skiing still
    We should get out and ride again soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Durango Trail Conditions?

Hello Western Slopers!

I'm in the Winter Park area, and our winter season is coming to a close. That means BIKE TRIP TIME! Yay! I've never had the chance to ride Durango but have been dreaming of it since I got into MTB.

I know the elevation is a bit lower there, but how are trail conditions? And how might you expect them to be in about a month? Or May-ish?

When is high season for trail use? Would this be a good time to go?

Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Hey carrielovesbikes,

This is the best spot for current conditions (if the dates are current) Trails2000: Trail Conditions

Phil's World: Kokopelli Bike & Board: Where to Ride

In a typical April, the "Town Trails" are open and riding. May signals the opening of some higher up trails. It is pretty typical in very late May (Memorial Day Weekend) to be able to ride out and back on the Colorado Trail from town at Junction Creek.

Late June/July is when the really high good stuff opens up!

Here is a infographic: Durango Trails Infographic

Have an awesome trip! Happy Trails.

www.singletrackmapping.com
    Ft. Collins & Lyons – Golden – Buffalo Creek – Durango – Phil’s World – Crested Butte

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    weather looks pretty stormy for the next 2 weeks here, you should be skiing still
    We should get out and ride again soon.
    Got an email on Tuesday from Gunnison Trails. They said not good to go yet, but with these temps it's got to be ready to go soon? Any idea on how close we are?

mtbr member
    Got an email on Tuesday from Gunnison Trails. They said not good to go yet, but with these temps it's got to be ready to go soon? Any idea on how close we are?
    It really depends on the BLM, I would say no more than 2 weeks out, but could be as early as a week, from my experience.

mtbr member
    We were we riding it this time last year, Right?

mtbr member
    We were we riding it this time last year, Right?
    Yep, just varies year to year, 2008 it didn't open until mid May.

mtbr member

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast