Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Probably dumb question but where we r from trails withstand a lot of rain.
    Engineers coalbank too wet?

mtbr member
    Anybody know current conditions of the Sidewinder near Montrose?
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Tigers love pepper...
    Phils World conditions? Found a few links but all updates were old. Looks lke I'm doing an overnight in Cortez next week, not sure if I will have a chance to ride either way but.......

12 hour MV race course was good to go last weekend. Could only be better now.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    12 hour MV race course was good to go last weekend. Could only be better now.
    Great now if I can just find a way to sneak a ride in. Unfortunately it sounds like I'm gonna be working non-stop. Maybe Thur afternoon before I head home....

Tigers love pepper...
    We're getting dumped on in GJ. Safe to assume Phil's is a no go for Thursday at this point?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Just got hammered with 9" of snow here in KC....more still falling...Only riding is for those who got a good fatbike.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    GJ trail updates?? Not sure if you all got the snow.. but things are drying out fast in the front range..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    We got snow and then a few days of rain. No go right now, but if the weekend is really going to be pushing 60, we should be able to ride next week. Still a good bit of snow on the ground.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Western Slope trail conditions and links

Whats it looking like now out there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    as of February 24, Rabbit Valley, Kokopelli, and 18 rd are good to go (a bit rutted from cows here and there, but if we ride it enough, it'll smooth out). Lunch Loops still needs to dry out on the higher stuff, but lower stuff seems ok.

Paste eater
    What's the snow situation in gunny? Hartmans?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    What's the snow situation in gunny? Hartmans?
    hartmans is a long ways off this year, still lots of snow in gunny. I'm guessing sometime mid or late April if we get some warm weather soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Berry Creek in Edwards is 95% rideable. The north facing pitches are a little muddy but not bad!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Haflin trees?

trails2k says there are 50 downed trees on Haflin Creek. Anyone been up there this spring?

mtbr member
    Hartman Rocks opened today 4/21/14

misanthrope
    Any idea how much snow is at Harman Rocks? Was hoping to ride there this weekend (5/17).

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jay dee View Post
    Any idea how much snow is at Harman Rocks? Was hoping to ride there this weekend (5/17).

Thanks
    gunny didn't get too much snow, if there is still any snow it will be gone by today, should be perfect weather this weekend.

mtbr member
    Gunny got more snow then CB did yesterday. Heard some idiots tried to ride it yesterday ...they said it was a mess. Tomorrow should be good to go.

mtbr member
    How is the snowpack in the San Juans and SW CO? We didn't have "winter" in AZ this winter. Was the W. Slope dry like AZ? How soon do you think high country trails will be rideable? Like the CT between Durango and Silverton? How about up around Crested Butte? I see it is snowing on the Iron Horse right now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    any condition reports from the Crest? July 3rd lookin too soon or is the snow melting quick?

The Original Suspect
    Wondering what trails are not rideable. Gonna be in Durango next weekend and it would help to know which, if any, trails are closed or from a local perspective, unrideable.

Thanks.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    any condition reports from the Crest? July 3rd lookin too soon or is the snow melting quick?
    I can't say I know for sure, I'm on the injured reserve right now so haven't been even looking. But I will say that I did a short hike on the cdt/ct south from Marshall Pass on Sunday and ran into piles of snow before I expected to. Normally by the 15th of June you can ride from Marshall Pass south to Silver Creek Trail and down (and rainbow of course, that's been riding for over a month).

So I'd call that a week late.

I guarantee you that the High Valley Center will be running their shuttles by the weekend of the 4th. (and the 3rd) There will be big drifts. But people will be riding it. There will be drifts well into July this year. But people will be riding it.

If you want more direct beta you should check with Absolute Bikes, 719 539 9295
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Colorado
    Buena Vista conditions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    Buena Vista conditions?
    Don't know if you're still curious but I rode salida last week and it was in great shape, cottonwood and backbone should dry out soon too.

heard that midland in BV is dry and i
    imagine the few trails next to town are as well.

Colorado

Good job!

Thanks, was able to go there last weekend. Awesome trails!

How is Salida doing? I'm guessing a lot is G2G?

Team Velveeta™
    Thanks, was able to go there last weekend. Awesome trails!

How is Salida doing? I'm guessing a lot is G2G?
    Salida is drying up really fast. The Arkansas Hills Trail System (aka S-Mountain Trails) are almost completely dry (there is one trail called Prospector that has lots of permashade, so it could still have mud). N. Backbone is almost totally dry (nothing that will hold you up) and it's one of the last to dry.

Methodist Mountain Trail System (Little Rainbow, Racetrack, Lost Trail) is also GTG. Haven't heard about Lost Trail specifically, and it has some clay and deeper canyon spots, but I'd expect it's fine.

Parts of the Cottonwood Gulch ride are somewhat muddy (the new upper singletrack section is muddy, and probably still subject to Seasonal Closure--not sure what the period is for that). But people are riding it using the old skewl route. I rode Cottonwood up and back from the bottom to the Kiln and back down last Saturday. Snow (mostly rideable--kinda plowing but not deep) within half a mile of the top, but it's quickly melting.

Temps in the 70s for Saturday, melt will be rapid. Basically, all of the normal early spring accessible riding is rideable. Some mud may be encountered, but less with every passing hour.

Colorado
    Thanks Tom. Can you still car camp in town down by the river on the RR tracks side?

Team Velveeta™
    Thanks Tom. Can you still car camp in town down by the river on the RR tracks side?
    I don't think camping is restricted anywhere over there. We have actually started acquiring some homeless people, and that tends to be where they set up their hobo camps. There's Union Pacific Land all over there even for quite a ways across the tracks, then a smattering of private (absentee) and BLM. The UP don't have anyone in town and we use all their land like its public. I don't imagine anybody is going to say boo about being over there (unless it's during FIBArk).

That's not where I'd camp though, unless being really close to downtown was super important. I'd go to the BLM trailhead east of town off highway 50 just east of Big O Tires and then drive up the doubletrack a ways and find a spot. Or there's Salida East, which is a BLM/State Parks facility with vault toilets, first-come first-served. It's on the river side of highway 50, maybe quarter mile east of the trailhead over there. Also I think you'd find that the camping up the Bear Creek Road (CR101) just past the cattle guard would be dry. It's only about 8,000 ft elev there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    anyone with personal trail intel for Eagle? Looking at Sunday/Monday riding there - thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Red Hill in Carbondale is completely dry. Elk Traverse and beyond are still closed until the 3/31, but should be dry when open.

roaringfork

mtbr member

Good job! Hartman Rocks opens 3/31/2015 for the season

From the BLM

"Hartman Rocks Recreation Area is open today due to the early spring conditions. Only roads and trails north of the power line will be open for public travel. All roads and trails south of the power line will remain closed for Gunnison Sage-grouse conservation until May 15, 2015. The only exception to this early opening is The Enchanted Forest Trail. It will remain closed until it is free of snow and moisture. "

Gunnison Trails:

Please Respect the Season Closures Until May 15th for all Roads and Trails South of the Powerlines Road for Sage-grouse Protection

Enchanted Forest is still holding snow and mud and is closed for now. All roads and trails south of the Powerlines Road are closed for protection of Sage-grouse until May 15th. Trails that remain closed include:
    The Aberdeen Loop
    Skull Pass (part of the Growler course)
    Bambi's (Growler course)
    Outback (Growler)
    Back-In (Growler)
    9-0 (Growler)
    Sawtooth

mtbr member
    May 2011
    just got back from Hartman's, for the most part it was 99% dry except for a few wet spots here and there. go get it!

mtbr member
    Anything rideable in or around Steamboat right now? I know it was supposed to get some snow yesterday, but the powder cam at the mountain was only showing an inch or two the last time I looked. I'm going to be up there this weekend with the family and am trying to decide if its worth bringing the bike.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    just got back from Hartman's, for the most part it was 99% dry except for a few wet spots here and there. go get it!
    I see all the closed trails in Hartman's (for some bird).

How much of the Growler course could I ride with all the trail closures? I've only been to Hartman's once and only hiked briefly around, so it would be an adventure to scope out the trails trying to semi-pre-ride for the Growler.

Thinking about Thurs or Friday this week, i.e. a few more days of sun before I'd show up...
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    anything south of powerline road is closed until May 15th, but you should be able to ride 80% of the course.

Powerline road is the grey dotted line at the bottom of the map.
    http://gunnisontrails.com/gtadmin/wp...-Clockwise.pdf

Make sure you ride rattlesnake and the notch as those are probably the toughest trails on the course.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mabrodis View Post
    I see all the closed trails in Hartman's (for some bird).
    Gunnison Sage Grouse Gunnison Sage-grouse | Western State Colorado University

Always good to inform yourself on who lives in the neighborhood you're going to be playing in.

There is supposed to be some weather moving in for the end of the week. I'm not sure how, if at all it will effect Gunnison but the weekend may not be any dryer than it is right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicket? View Post
    Anything rideable in or around Steamboat right now? I know it was supposed to get some snow yesterday, but the powder cam at the mountain was only showing an inch or two the last time I looked. I'm going to be up there this weekend with the family and am trying to decide if its worth bringing the bike.
    Not just yet, i havn't been out to Hot Springs, but Emerald is still muddy. Red Dirt/Mad Creek and Spring Creek are closed for elk babies till 4/15, Rotary may be snow free but meltoff from above will make things muddy. Plenty of dirt showing on Mt Werner, bring mud skis, and sunscreen. SbVelo hosts a road group at 11am sunday's, from Backcountry Deli, if you are into skinny tires

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How are the trails looking in Eagle?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Eagle is Dusty Dry down low, way too early for this dryness/moon dust
    Bone Yard, Pool and Ice Rink, Haymaker all good
    Eagle Ranch - Wall, Riddle, Mayer Gulch, Baileys all good
    West Eagle - Abrams, Ictch, Scratch, Hocket, Tick Alley, Elk Drop all good
    NO GO - Pipeline up high, Mikes, Cat Walk is at 8,000 not sure maybe?
    Last edited by makeitlast; 04-07-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: didn't include orginal quote

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    That's the ugliest bird I've ever seen. (btw I have no problem with them closing trails for wildlife, I was just pointing out the fact that the trails weren't closed for conditions)

Is the Growler course (which obviously won't be marked yet) easy to find/follow? I will have a map with me and the GPS track on my phone so I can pull it out and see how stupidly off-course I have gotten if I have to.
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, heavy Mongoose fat bike & some cheap Fuji road bike...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    How are the trails looking in Eagle?
    Eagle is Dusty Dry down low, way too early for this dryness/moon dust
    Bone Yard, Pool and Ice Rink, Haymaker all good
    Eagle Ranch - Wall, Riddle, Mayer Gulch, Baileys all good
    West Eagle - Abrams, Ictch, Scratch, Hocket, Tick Alley, Elk Drop all good
    NO GO - Pipeline up high, Mikes, Cat Walk is at 8,000 not sure maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just got back from a ride around Salida. Prospector has no mud at all. The new section of Cottonwood is very muddy for maybe 50 yds right at the trailhead at the jct of 181/175 but this is near 9000 ft. After the first 1/4 mile the mud basically ends and there is a few very short spots that are muddy enough to leave a track but no rut. There is one VERY short stretch of 10 yds at the most that is muddy lower down in Cottonwood Gulch but you can veer off the trail few feet into the sandy bottom of the gulch to avoid.

When I lived in Maine you wouldn't see trails this dry ever.

The only part that was a pain in the ass was CR 175. They were grading it as I rode up it and prior to running the grader, wetting the road and it was somewhat splatty for a couple miles and loose from the fresh grading.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mabrodis View Post
    That's the ugliest bird I've ever seen. (btw I have no problem with them closing trails for wildlife, I was just pointing out the fact that the trails weren't closed for conditions)

Is the Growler course (which obviously won't be marked yet) easy to find/follow? I will have a map with me and the GPS track on my phone so I can pull it out and see how stupidly off-course I have gotten if I have to.

Here is the course:
    http://gunnisontrails.com/gtadmin/wp...-Clockwise.pdf

And yes, it will be really easy to follow, they post signs everywhere with arrows. You shouldn't need to consult a map when in the race. All the trails also have signs as well.

mtbr member
    With the weather we're getting does anybody know if there will be ridable trails this weekend?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    With the weather we're getting does anybody know if there will be ridable trails this weekend?
    Yes. Somewhere there will be rideable trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Yes. Somewhere there will be rideable trails.
    So I was thinking in GJ/Fruita area. The forecast indicates rain through Saturday. I'm coming from Denver with a buddy and we're trying to decide if we should scrap the trip.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    So I was thinking in GJ/Fruita area. The forecast indicates rain through Saturday. I'm coming from Denver with a buddy and we're trying to decide if we should scrap the trip.
    I would re-schedule if I were you.

Worst case, adobe mud caking your bike and a ruined ride, then drive home. Or you skip riding to tour the Dinosaur Museum, then drive home.

Best case, it's rideable but really not that nice out.

Check out the cams on CDOT Road Conditions

You can see from a traffic cam over there that it's snowing big fat flakes in Fruita just as it is in Salida right now.

Tigers love pepper...
    Yup, it's snowing big ol' flakes in GJ. Glad I rode last night...... Supposed to be 70% chance tomorrow and 40% chance Saturday. Depending on how much we get I would think we'll be able to ride possibly Saturday but almost certainly Sunday (high 60, 0% chance of percip.

Tough call on cancelling, probably safest but riding could be totally fine (or perfect) this weekend. Maybe wait until tomorrow to make the decision.

WE NEED THE MOISTURE BAD already, trails are super sandy for April. So frankly I hope we get a bunch and I don't get to ride at ALL this weekend.

Colorado
    I think if you pushed west for another 1.5 hours then you'll be fine in Moab. Only a chance of rain Friday morning, then clearing up for the weekend.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast