Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfly View Post
    Heading to Barker Dome Sunday - expect snow on the northern slopes.

Update 1/29/12 - Muddy conditions
    Do you think conditions will be good by tuesday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Go early before the thaw. No one has ridden up there so you won't be fighting ruts.

Unless frozen I would guess a week minimum until the mud on the flat sections drys.

Rode the entire system a couple weeks ago. The north face downhill sections were fine because the snow was crusty. Dropping into the northern "half pipe" was sketchy - but I walk sections even when dry.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nmfly View Post
    Go early before the thaw. No one has ridden up there so you won't be fighting ruts.

Unless frozen I would guess a week minimum until the mud on the flat sections drys.

Rode the entire system a couple weeks ago. The north face downhill sections were fine because the snow was crusty. Dropping into the northern "half pipe" was sketchy - but I walk sections even when dry.
    Thanks for the info!

You can do it...Come on
    What r conditions in gj and fruita like. Thinking of headed over in the morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flexlarson View Post
    What r conditions in gj and fruita like. Thinking of headed over in the morning.
    as of sunday the 4th, 18 road is not rideable, kokopelli is. you can always check facebook, they update trail conditions almost every day.

Over The Edge Sports - Men's Clothing Store, Women's Clothing Store - Fruita, CO | Facebook

and

Fruita Mountain Biking - Sports Venue - Fruita, CO | Facebook

mtbr member
    Game on in Gunnison.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    70s today at hartman's...first ride of the season out there and everything seemed pretty dry

flurker
    just rode <7500' stuff in salida
    all nice and dry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rode in Eagle last Saturday. Got to trails as high as Pipeline. Only one small drift that required a 25' hike-a-bike, the rest was pretty much snow-free and fun!

Longing for Spring
    Feb 2012
    Hey all. I am on the Front Range Denver side and we were having a tough time getting our trail reports in one spot so we built a new site. It is TheTrailReport.com | Trail Search | Community Driven Trail Reports and is up and running. We have only really added trails on our side from Fort Collins to Pueblo, but you all are more than welcome to add in your trails. It is super easy to use and it has been catching on for us. Check it out if you have a moment. We need help adding in trails from areas outside of our typical "ride" zone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Don't forget your chain lube if you're headed to Fruita... sand box conditions out there.

Tigers love pepper...
    Don't let the weather fool you. Riding was great at LL today. Not a drop of water to be found. Wind wasn't bad at all either.

Did Pete's, Holy Cross, Holy Bucket, Curts. We passed one rider and one hiker on trail. Get out now while everyone is at Mogfest or sitting in the house waiting on the rain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Crested Butte Conditions

I'm thinking about heading to Crested Butte next week for some hiking and biking. I was hoping that the light snowpack would mean some potential for biking and hiking at lower elevations but I'm wondering if anyone can give an update on conditions. Have any of the camping areas opened up, and are any of the lower elevation trails ridable at this point? Thanks for the help!

Trail conditions report

Crested Butte Mountain Bike Trails

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    May 2011
    lower elevation trails around CB are pretty much good to go (upper/strand/lupine). Snodgrass should be open very soon, CBMR trails still have some snow on them from this past ski season. Lower loop is still a bit wet but that won't be long either. There is some stuff up cement creek that is dry as well. If you're coming up next week you might as well hit hartman's in gunny for a day too.

Camping wise...slate is open up to at least pittsburg, you can get pretty far up wash gulch to the free camping now and gothic is open to near rustler's gulch...all of this being free camping

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Snodgrass is open as of today. 409 is a longer ride that is fully open. Deer Creek is very close.

Free camping up Cement Creek as well as everything mentioned above.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post
    Snodgrass is open as of today. 409 is a longer ride that is fully open. Deer Creek is very close.

Free camping up Cement Creek as well as everything mentioned above.
    sweet! thanks for the update frank, should be some nice opportunity for to make some bigger loop rides with snod/strand open now. Have you been on lower/GB at all lately?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks so much for the information, I really appreciate it. One benefit of the mediocre ski year...makes for a longer riding season! Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    sweet! thanks for the update frank, should be some nice opportunity for to make some bigger loop rides with snod/strand open now. Have you been on lower/GB at all lately?
    Ha! I haven't been riding at all, the skiing has still been pretty good (or at least it was in Silverton last weekend). That said, I've found that the lower loops always take longer than you might think- all those slides that the climax chutes send down all year seem to stack up there and take a while to melt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looking forward to an early epic season at the butte this year
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hey there! I will be heading out to Fruita for Memorial Day weekend. Should arrive Thursday. Anyone willing to provide some companionship and guidance for a Friday ride? My wife and I will be the only riders. We are competent cross country riders who can handle some technical stuff, but zero freeride skills.
    Please let me know. Thanks.

Russ

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Gunnison County Fire Ban starting May 21

From the Crested Butte news:

"Gunnison County is implementing Stage 1 fire restrictions for the first time since 2006. A resolution approved by the County Commissioners this week goes into effect on May 21 and prohibits open burning, private use of fireworks, open charcoal or wood fires, ditch burning and the burning of trash and debris in unincorporated sections of the county.
    The restrictions do allow for some recreational fires within the county. According to Dennis Spritzer, Gunnison fire marshal, liquid or gas fired stoves, charcoal grill fires, wood burning stoves, fireplaces and small recreational fires within fire pits at developed campgrounds are still okay. An exception has also been included for the city of Gunnison and the towns of Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte to host 4th of July fireworks, provided that on-the-ground conditions donít get even drier."

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnirider View Post
    From the Crested Butte news:

"Gunnison County is implementing Stage 1 fire restrictions for the first time since 2006. A resolution approved by the County Commissioners this week goes into effect on May 21 and prohibits open burning, private use of fireworks, open charcoal or wood fires, ditch burning and the burning of trash and debris in unincorporated sections of the county.
    The restrictions do allow for some recreational fires within the county. According to Dennis Spritzer, Gunnison fire marshal, liquid or gas fired stoves, charcoal grill fires, wood burning stoves, fireplaces and small recreational fires within fire pits at developed campgrounds are still okay. An exception has also been included for the city of Gunnison and the towns of Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte to host 4th of July fireworks, provided that on-the-ground conditions donít get even drier."
    so is the free dispersed camping out wash gulch/slate, ect exempt from this as well as long as there is a fire ring?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    so is the free dispersed camping out wash gulch/slate, ect exempt from this as well as long as there is a fire ring?
    to answer my own question...no campfires in dispersed areas...bummer

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast