Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes, all 20 minutes of it. The other 30 minutes of riding doesn't open until the 20th.

mtbr member
    did you happen to check the sticky? it has links!
    Western Slope trail conditions and links

infidel
    Nov 2009
    You could try the new Droste Trail, it's open and dry. Smuggler Mtn is mostly dry but has snow in the shadows, it's still early for high mtn trails.

Prince Creek and Red Mtn are good to go.

mtbr member

Crested Butte Conditions

Hey all, Steamboat is melting out fast, and i wondered how things were melting out down in CB. I was planning on comming down for the MSC and racing the awesome Deer Creek epic XC, but wonder if the snow will be gone in order for that high mountain course to be used.

Any updates?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    401 will be a while. Not that I care, the skiing has been awesome. In other Crested Butte trail news, the Upper trails are open, Strand is pretty much there, and people have been raving about the new Lupine trail. Pics from 6/7/11

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Holy crap there's a lot of snow! Last year on the third weekend of June, we did Deer Creek and it looked like the Sound of Music covered in Lupine flowers. So that second picture (not Schofield pass), is that Deer Creek????

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You can see Schofield Pass road in the 2nd picture, 401 traverses the hillside above that.

infidel
    Nov 2009
    Just rode Aspen-Droste-Rim-Highline-Aspen, all are in excellent shape. The Droste trail is a brand new trail and they did a hell of a job, moved an incredible amount of dirt to get that open in a short time!

It was a nice loop, 30 miles, 3700 vert, you could cut off some pavement by parking at Buttermilk.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by watertight View Post
    Just rode Aspen-Droste-Rim-Highline-Aspen, all are in excellent shape. The Droste trail is a brand new trail and they did a hell of a job, moved an incredible amount of dirt to get that open in a short time!

It was a nice loop, 30 miles, 3700 vert, you could cut off some pavement by parking at Buttermilk.
    I thought Droste trail was pretty decent as well. It'd be really nice if they could put in some singletrack to get down the Aspen side and also to connect Tom Blake to the existing singletrack somewhere in the middle.

infidel
    Nov 2009
    pretty sure more is in the works, they just cranked out that main trail so people could get on it. The steep loose sections on the Aspen side are def getting some more switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by watertight View Post
    pretty sure more is in the works, they just cranked out that main trail so people could get on it. The steep loose sections on the Aspen side are def getting some more switchbacks.
    Oh I know, I just see those as the next best trail options. And some berms on the Snowmass side once it gets packed down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    any ideas whether the CT from Hotel Draw to Corral Draw and Corral Draw down to Hermosa Creek are rideable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi,

Any updates on the 401? Is the upper half still completely under snow or just certain parts? Will the wildflowers be out by late July or should I push my trip into August?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Any idea on trail conditions for the Government Trail?

Also, which way is it easier to ride? Aspen>Snowmass or Snowmass>Aspen?

TIA.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Hi,

Any updates on the 401? Is the upper half still completely under snow or just certain parts? Will the wildflowers be out by late July or should I push my trip into August?

Thanks
    Snowy you can checks here look at the paradise web cam and zoom to schofield pass preset. August may be better

Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian View Post
    Any idea on trail conditions for the Government Trail?

Also, which way is it easier to ride? Aspen>Snowmass or Snowmass>Aspen?

TIA.
    Snowmass to Aspen

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Government trail is muddy in spots but good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    Government trail is muddy in spots but good to go.
    As is Sunnyside, Hobbit, etc.

mtbr member
    I'm in the midst of planning a trip to ride CB/Gunnison/Monarch Crest areas the last week of July: 7/25-7/29. I can see from the link above that 2 of the CB rides I was hoping to do-401 and Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's are still not recommended. I assume Monarch Crest is not open yet either? Would anyone with knowledge of the area care to gauge if those trails will be good to go by 7/25? I'm considering other options like visiting CB in early September and focusing more on Gunnison/Durango/Cortez if the snow levels this year put a monkey wrench in the high altitude riding through the end of this month. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_today714 View Post
    I'm in the midst of planning a trip to ride CB/Gunnison/Monarch Crest areas the last week of July: 7/25-7/29. I can see from the link above that 2 of the CB rides I was hoping to do-401 and Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's are still not recommended. I assume Monarch Crest is not open yet either? Would anyone with knowledge of the area care to gauge if those trails will be good to go by 7/25? I'm considering other options like visiting CB in early September and focusing more on Gunnison/Durango/Cortez if the snow levels this year put a monkey wrench in the high altitude riding through the end of this month. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    You can do an out and back on 401 right now, the snow is going quick up there with the warmth/rain we've been getting. Higher up on Schofield near emerald lake it's a different story...let's just say you'll be walking the bike through a lot of snow and the uphill through the woods still has snow on it, definitely would not be fun and not recommended.

Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's...I talked to a guy who said that it's rideable, but there's going to be some mud and snow crossings, but that it's just about ready.

I would say in another 2 weeks when you get here conditions for those higher rides will improve considerably.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_today714 View Post
    Re: Monarch... did Monarch pass to Marshall Pass 2 days ago and other than three small spots where we had to hike-a-bike over snow, it's in great shape. All told it took 2.5 hrs to do out and back.

mtbr member
    BDk and Kardy, thanks for the input. Hopefully 2weeks time will allow things to dry up, etc. Wasn't aware until I started planning this trip that Colorado got hammered with snow like parts of Utah did this year. Kardy- If I have one day to enjoy riding the Monarch Crest, is there a preferred/"classic" route and if so, is that version likely to be good to go in a couple weeks? Thanks, M.

mtbr member
    Curious how bad the stream crossing is on Doctors? Is it safe to traverse solo? I don't mind getting my feet wet. The links for conditions at CB appear to be down.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Two weeks ago it was above the knee and safe to do solo. That descent is one of my favorites anywhere! I'd recommend taking your shoes off and walking the crossing. But is you want to try and ride it, more power to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    Two weeks ago it was above the knee and safe to do solo. That descent is one of my favorites anywhere! I'd recommend taking your shoes off and walking the crossing. But is you want to try and ride it, more power to you.
    Very cool - thanks. Its been on my list for a number of years. Was planning on that and Deer creek over the weekend. Is a 29er HT sufficient, or do you recommend suspension?
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Oh no you di'int
    May 2009
    Never ridden deer creek so I can't comment on thaat. However for Doctor's park a hardtail is fine/ There is a bunch of smooth flowy descending and a few ledgy tech sections that would be fine on a hardtail. You can try and ride it faster and link together a few drops on a FS. Either way you will have a blast.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast