I Crash Often
    Nov 2006

Weather in Spring time?

Hey all Western Slope people!
    I live in Houston, Texas and work for a pool managment company. I get some vacation time, but need to use it before April of 2010, before our 'busy' season. I stayed in Colorado (Granby, then Golden) from May 2008 - February 2009, then moved to Houston.

I was wondering what the weather and trail conditions are like in Fruita and the surrounding areas during the Spring? Are trails snow packed or is it usually pretty dry compared to the rest of the mountins?

mtbr member
    Ditto that. I'm planning a trip from San Antonio, Texas to Southern CO this spring. I've never ridden the area, so don't know what type of weather to expect.

A buddy from Colorado Springs tells me to wait until June.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Spring is the most poplar time to visit Fruita and we generally kick off the mountain bike season in Colorado. We've had a heck of a winter so far (I don't remember it being this cold and snowy before) but the weather is pretty mild from March on. The 15th annual Fruita Fat Tire Festival is April 29 - May 2. Cheers!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    If you are driving,it's worth a stop in the Abq area to break up the drive,and to get the cobwebs out.Durango(in town trails)/Phils world MAY be rideable also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Last April I was getting some good riding in around Durango. I made a trip to Fruita in mid-May and it was perfect. I've only been in the area for one spring though (Houstonian temporarily living here) so not sure if that was normal. Even if there is a late thaw you can always head to Moab or Cortez.

mtbr member
    If you have lived in colorado the one thing you you get used to is not knowing when summer will arrive. April can be warm(30-50deg) and dry or the snowiest month of the year. No way to know which way it'll go this year, stay tuned.

mtbr member
    FWIW - Palisade is generally first end of the Grand Valley to dry out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just keep an eye on weather conditions. If we get lots of rain, trails take several days to dry out.

We can all hope/pray that it gets a bit warmer soon. I am so sick& tired of all the snow on the ground that doesn't melt.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Spring is the most poplar time to visit Fruita and we generally kick off the mountain bike season in Colorado. We've had a heck of a winter so far (I don't remember it being this cold and snowy before) but the weather is pretty mild from March on. The 15th annual Fruita Fat Tire Festival is April 29 - May 2. Cheers!
    I checked out the Fruita Fat Tire Festival on-liine and it looked like fun. I asked off for work, not hopfefull as that is the busy time in my work. Luckily, I was given vacation from April 28th-May 4th, enough time for me to drive up and back! I can't wait.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Dood,you live in COLORADO,wtf do you expect to happen in the winter?
    I for one will be praying for big dumps until April.You can always road-trip to Moab or Sedona to get a mid-winter dirt fix.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderfu
    Dood,you live in COLORADO,wtf do you expect to happen in the winter?
    I for one will be praying for big dumps until April.You can always road-trip to Moab or Sedona to get a mid-winter dirt fix.
    I lived in Colorado from May 2008 - February 2009, not through a complete winter.
    I also got off vacation from April 28th - May 4th. I plan on coming up to Fruita for the Fat Tire Festival, so we shall see in a couple months how it is. I can't wait!