mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Visiting Durango for a week, where to ride?

Hi!

I'm coming up from San Diego in early May for a week on my way up to Moab. What trails should I ride? I ride everything from XC to downhill. I'll be bringing my Mojo HD with me, so i'll be capable on most trails.

any help would be appreciated.

Ronnie

mtbr member
    Early May? Tough to tell given how warm and dry it's been, but you may be limited to in-town stuff - Horse Gulch / Sale Barn, Raiders' Ridge / Skyline, Overend Park, Twin Buttes and the lower Colorado Trail. And it's worth the short trip to Phil's World in Cortez.

The good news is it's all good riding and it's enough to keep you pretty busy for a few days.

mtbr member
    There's always Alien and Sand Canyon for early season too.
    '11 Trek Superfly 29er SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    When does the season start in Durango? When do the upper shuttle trails open up?

Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    Early May? Tough to tell given how warm and dry it's been, but you may be limited to in-town stuff - Horse Gulch / Sale Barn, Raiders' Ridge / Skyline, Overend Park, Twin Buttes and the lower Colorado Trail. And it's worth the short trip to Phil's World in Cortez.

The good news is it's all good riding and it's enough to keep you pretty busy for a few days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoronnie View Post
    Hi!

I'm coming up from San Diego in early May for a week on my way up to Moab. What trails should I ride? I ride everything from XC to downhill. I'll be bringing my Mojo HD with me, so i'll be capable on most trails.

any help would be appreciated.

Ronnie
    We were out on Hermosa Creek Trail (top to bottom) by the end of April last year, so it's a possibility depending on the snowfall.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Early May around town trails mentioned above will be the sure bet, last year I rode Horse Gulch every month of the year. Last year was warm and dry, this year is proving to be the same, so you may have more options than mentioned so far?

When you say upper shuttle runs you mean high elevation Alpine trails, that stuff starts to open in June with some trails holding snow well into summer. There's middle elevation trails like the Hermosa Creek area that will open earlier. I don't recommend Hermosa Creek trail on a 6" bike though. Its more of an xc bike ride. Downed trees in that area can be an issue early season too. It takes some time for motos, and trail crews to clean things up right after the snow melts. Jones/pinkerton/dutch, is a fun loop in that area, but mud can be nasty early season.

I've rode San Diego and love trails like World Cup, Anderson Truck, Iron Mountain, and Nobel Canyon. I wish Durango had something like WC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If it's open, I can highly recommend Hermosa Creek. We shuttled it with "Hermosa's" (poster above)company.