hikebike-bagpeak

Up for a serious pass ride/tour this Sunday

Heading for Crested Butte for the annual CB to Aspen ride over Pearl Pass.
    Initially my wife was going with me, and pick me up in Aspen at the end of the tour, however, a sudden change of plans and I'll be heading alone. To avoid having to out-n-back this thing, I'd like to roll over with someone else and park vehicles at opposite ends if possible so as to keep the day from being too long. Anyone else interested or already have the same agenda?
    Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com/blog.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I did the out and back in a day, in the opposite directions once. I probably won't do that again. You could always stay in Aspen overnight and ride Taylor back the next day.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That's not a "serious" ride... hell the old timers rode it on balloon-tired cruisers.

hikebike-bagpeak
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    That's not a "serious" ride... hell the old timers rode it on balloon-tired cruisers.

True, it has been ridden often since then --relatively speaking of course-- yet for many less masochistic bikers you still have to be "seriously" crazy to do it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirefanatic
    yet for many less masochistic bikers you still have to be "seriously" crazy to do it.
    That's because the quality of the ride sucks in comparison to the other 372 trail options in Crested Butte.

hikebike-bagpeak

Wink

That's because the quality of the ride sucks in comparison to the other 372 trail options in Crested Butte.
    Can't speak for the other trails in CB, while I never get out to that part, yet quality is in the eyes of the beholder, while anyone who likes to ride off-road, will appreciate any surface with certain preferences or dislikes. Personally I could do without sand and loose rock. But you take what you get, and thank God its not pavement.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirefanatic
    Can't speak for the other trails in CB, while I never get out to that part, yet quality is in the eyes of the beholder,
    Wait just a cotton-picking minute.

You've never ridden in Crested Butte and you're doing Pearl Pass as your FIRST ride??

hikebike-bagpeak
    Wait just a cotton-picking minute.

You've never ridden in Crested Butte and you're doing Pearl Pass as your FIRST ride??

First ride in CB anyway. I've done the Arapahoe Ridge, CDT across Buffalo Pass, Marshall and Monarch, Jones/Herman Gulch trail, Georgia, Imogene and Mosquito Passes among others from basically Steamboat Springs south to Telluride. I guess you could say I have a preference for riding above 12k for aesthetic purposes. I usually stick to the Front Range, so the closest I've been to CB is over Taylor/Cumberland Pass. This trip will hopefully lead to more visits on the s-t trails of the area.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You're weird. NTTAWWT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I used to be part of a group that rode over Pearl Pass every year. We did this for twenty years and it never got any easier.
    We spent the next day riding in CB. Usually Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman.

The next day 401 or Paradise, over Scofield to Marble.

Pearl Pass does have it's place in mountain bike history, and it is incredibly scenic.
    But there are definitely better rides in CB. There are also better ways to get from Aspen to Crested Butte.

All that said, you should do it!

jummo

hikebike-bagpeak
    Quote Originally Posted by jummo
    I used to be part of a group that rode over Pearl Pass every year. We did this for twenty years and it never got any easier.
    We spent the next day riding in CB. Usually Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman.

The next day 401 or Paradise, over Scofield to Marble.

Pearl Pass does have it's place in mountain bike history, and it is incredibly scenic.
    But there are definitely better rides in CB. There are also better ways to get from Aspen to Crested Butte.

All that said, you should do it!

jummo

I'm there.
    Last edited by fattirefreak; 09-11-2009 at 08:26 PM.