Singletrack Addict!!!

Trip time!! Crested Butte or Sun Valley??

Setting up a vacation from Jul 11 to 22. We'll stay 4 or 5 days in Park City, then head off to whichever destination above. We'll rent a vacation house in both destinations and rent cars. Anyone have visited both and care to compare?

I ride my Mojo HD in 150F/140R here @ home and change to 160mm when traveling (Downieville, Tahoe, Oregon BC), but will I need to when riding in the above destinations and carry one more pound around? From what I've read, trails are pretty buffed..

Any other traveling/destination suggestions?

Will high trails in Crested Butte be rideable by that date?

What are the must ride trails up there in 5 days time?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hard to say if the high elevation trails in CB will be dry by then. It depends on the weather between then and now. Right now it's snowing in CO and we've had a very snowy winter so it's going to have to get warm and dry pretty soon. In CB and most of the riding destinations in CO you'll be climbing a lot unless you want to limit yourself to lift served stuff or spend more time shuttling than riding on the relatively few trails that can be shuttled.

CB is fairly typical for CO trails in that the trail can have lots of rocks and roots (or be fairly buff) but there's not a lot of big rock drops and that type of stuff. Some of the trails in CB get moto traffic so they can be chewed up by that but that makes the trail more loose and rutted than technical in the big drop sense. IMO a lot of suspension isn't needed.

There are a lot of great riding destination in CO. CB is one of the classics but there is Durango, Telluride, Gunnison, Salida, Breckenridge, Winter Park, and more.
    Park City has lots of great riding, but there is a lot more in the Wasatch area than P.C. The UT and CO desert is spectacular, but I'd avoid it during the summer.

I've never been to Sun Valley but I've heard good things about it. As far as I know it doesn't have the reputation of having the type of trail that requires a lot of suspension either. I think they've had a big snow year too but the elevation is lower so they should melt out earlier than the CO high country.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Both CB and Sun Valley are sweet destinations and you can't go wrong with either one. All of the high trails will be melted out by July 11-22nd so I wouldn't worry about that. If you do come to Colorado/CB, be sure you take a side trip and ride Monarch Crest.

Sun Valley will be a lot warmer than CB in July. 80s for highs in Sun Valley, 70s here in CB. Also, mid July is when the monsoons typically get going here in CB as well which means more afternoon/evening thunderstorms/showers where as in Sun Valley July is typically one of their drier months of the year...just something to take into consideration.

CB trails are pretty non-technical in nature, although we have quite a few that are pretty techy and fun if you have the right bike, which of course you do. My wife also rides a mojo HD on the trails here and loves it.

You can easily spend a week here and not even ride all of the classics, but here are some must rides:

Doctor Park
    Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's
    dyke trail
    Green Lake Trail
    strand hill (ferris or 402 for a much more technical option)
    teocalli ridge (just re-opened this year after 3 yrs of being repaired)

If you need an easier riding day there are tons of options near town (snodgrass, lupine, lower loop, upper loop, ect). The lift served bike trails up at the ski area are really good as well, definitely worth checking out if the legs are tired.

mtbr member
    As BD said both CB and Sun Valley are great places to ride. Sun Valley might not have the same rep as CB for mtn biking, but you should give it a taste. The trails are stupid good and easily accessible. The town is great and super laid back. Summer in CB can get a little hectic as everyone knows CB is a "must ride" town. Sun Valley is a secret....you owe it to yourself to check it out.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion