mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Travelling to Crested Butte from NYC

Traveling from NYC to Crested Butte in September, is flying from LaGuardia to Denver to Gunnison the best option, does anyone decide to drive from Denver for whatever reason? I will have a bike with me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sometimes the price of the flights is significant when comparing gunnison and Denver. But if they're close, by all means fly to Gunnison.

mtbr member
    To get close to CB quickly, Gunnison is your best option. But driving, once you get away from the Front Range zoo, is pretty spectacular. It may be worth it if you have the time and want to see some of the mountains of Colorado. There is riding between Denver and CB, like Breckenridge and Salida.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's about what, four and a half, five hours from DIA to CB? I don't know how convenient the transfer from DIA and Gunny is but you'll probably wrap up at least a little time from the time you get off one plane and get on another. You might not save as much time as you think by flying into Gunny.

Then again I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    It's about what, four and a half, five hours from DIA to CB? I don't know how convenient the transfer from DIA and Gunny is but you'll probably wrap up at least a little time from the time you get off one plane and get on another. You might not save as much time as you think by flying into Gunny.

Then again I could be wrong.

4 1/2 hours to CB from DIA when there is no traffic and good weather, otherwise plan on a bit more. The drive is pleasant once you get past the suburban foothill areas of evergreen/pine, ect

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I looked at the prices recently flying in from Seattle. 200 to Denver, 800 to gunnison. Denver lets me pick up bike rentals from golden, which has a better selection than most rental shops. If it was only 100 more or so, I think direct to gunnison would be worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    I looked at the prices recently flying in from Seattle. 200 to Denver, 800 to gunnison. Denver lets me pick up bike rentals from golden, which has a better selection than most rental shops. If it was only 100 more or so, I think direct to gunnison would be worth it.
    And I can't speak for the Denver -> Gunnison flight, but Denver -> Durango has delays, over bookings and such pretty often, I'd say 1 in 5.
    But it is still so worth it when coming home to Durango
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage