mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Travel Plans for July

Hi guys,
    I'm going to visit Colorado from Germany in mid to late July. So far my plan is like that:

2 or 3 days in Fruita
    5-6 of days in Durango
    1-2 days in Crested Butte
    possibly a day at a Bike Park, although they seem just like the ones we have over here…

Do you have a recommendation for bike friendly hotels at these locations? Ideally with bikes allowed in the rooms or secured bike cellars. I also wonder if I better make reservations for rooms since its vacation season, although I usually like to be flexible when traveling (I know, weird thing for a German…

Thanks a lot and kind regards, Hans

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    in Fruita stay at Balanced Rock Hotel, they are bike friendly, clean, the least expensive in town, and have a bike wash. and i am pretty sure they let your bike in the room. call them at 970-858-7220.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    2nd the Balanced Rock great place, can be a bit noisy with traffic & trains but great owner, Holina. Bikes in rooms no problem.
    Be prepared for very hot weather in Fruita daytime temps could be near the 100's in July.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Just watch yourself in Fruita during July. Rider early.

It'll get up to 38*C (I think I remembered the conversion) during a lot of the days.

If I were coming to CO from far away during July I'd enjoy the high country.

Durango, Telluride, Monarch Crest, Summit County, Eagle County, Upper Roaring Fork Valley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I went to Crested Butte last year and stayed at the hostel. There are private rooms as well as bunk beds available. I would highly recommend it. Bikes are not allowed in the room but there is a room where you can lock it up.

Ski Vacation, Lodging, Hostel, Crested Butte, CO, International Lodge, About Us