Bix Pender
    Feb 2009

Trail specific Questions, Durango

Hi all, I've been researching on spokejunkies and I've got a lat 40 map on the way, but while I'm waiting, perhaps the Durango locals can give me a little beta.

Molas to Cascade: How many miles is it on the road from the Cascade TH to Molas TH? How many climbs will it take to get me back to Molas? (I'm talking sustained over 3 mile climbs) If I'm not gonna shuttle this ride, should I cut it short by going down The Pass Trail?

Hermosa Creek: Without a shuttle, is this one best ridden as an out and back?

Blackhawk Pass: This ride looks tough without a shuttle. Is there a way to do it without the 9 mile "slog up rocky and steep dirt road". Can I hit the pass and maybe cut some other section short, perhaps an out and back?

As soon as I get my map this should be more clear, but any info should help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Molas/Cascade: I think it is about 14 miles on the road with two long climbs. One alternative is to park at the north end of Lime Creek road, at the base of the road climb to Molas. This gives you a steep 4 mile ride up the highway before you get to the Colorado Trail. If you come out the Pass trail it's all downhill to your car at the end; if you go all the way you have only one climb instead of two at the end.

Hermosa: out and back from either end is nice.

I haven't done Blackhawk so I have no firsthand experience on that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The ride up to Molas no fun after having fun. Hermosa a out and back. Blackhawk with no shuttle no thanks.Tybo
    timan

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The Molas ride w/o a shuttle would be pretty tough.

I do the Blackhawk ride (Bolam>CT>Hotel Draw or Corral Draw) often as a loop. It's definitely do-able without a shuttle.

Just remember that the elevation of these two rides get you up to 12K+.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    "Just remember that the elevation of these two rides get you up to 12K+."

.... Which will for sure kick my a$$!

what about a loop with Hermosa, starting at 201, jones creek, pinkerton/flagstaff, elbert creek road, 578, Hermosa creek back to car. Is that just crazy epic or is it do able? What about cow patties? My book warns pretty hardcore about the patties. Is that for real? I did a race once in Oregon with singletrack on a farm and at the beginning of the race the guy tells us "There's a lot of sheep out there and you will ride through sheep sh$t, you should probably use a camelbak and still be careful, lots of ppl get giardia." nothing happened to me, but every time I took I drink I couldn't help but think about it!

Blargh
    Apr 2004
    Don't take the Pass Trail as a cutoff, the Engineer Mt Trail downhill is way way way too fun to miss. That said, I would not want to pedal back up to Coal Bank and up to Molas. But the trail ends at the highway, so it should not be very hard to hitch back up for the car, ie you don't really need to do a 2 car shuttle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger
    Don't take the Pass Trail as a cutoff, the Engineer Mt Trail downhill is way way way too fun to miss. That said, I would not want to pedal back up to Coal Bank and up to Molas.
    +1!

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger
    Don't take the Pass Trail as a cutoff, the Engineer Mt Trail downhill is way way way too fun to miss. That said, I would not want to pedal back up to Coal Bank and up to Molas. But the trail ends at the highway, so it should not be very hard to hitch back up for the car, ie you don't really need to do a 2 car shuttle.

I guess I'll do something with Hermosa first and scout out the highway climbs before I do that one.

"I do the Blackhawk ride (Bolam>CT>Hotel Draw or Corral Draw) often as a loop. It's definitely do-able without a shuttle."

that's exactly the route I've been looking at. Thank you for suggesting it.

On a side note, is the camping at Sig Creek decent? I'm thinking of making that my base camp, unless someone can offer a better alternative......

mtbr member
    TH -> Jones Creek -> Pinkerton Flagstaff -> Dutch Creek -> Hermosa Creek -> TH

About 20 miles, a loop, and one helluva ride.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Flaccid Member
    Thanks cbrossman... good beta there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    you could park at the bottom of molas pass at the end of lime creek, ride the CT to cascade, then ride Old Lime Creek back to your car, getting you around climbing Coal Bank. Its a dirt road with a little climbing but it seems to be the most doable w/out a shuttle. Or, stash your bike and hitch a ride back up! Works every time!
    That ride is awesome, do it.

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toweringhouse
    you could park at the bottom of molas pass at the end of lime creek, ride the CT to cascade, then ride Old Lime Creek back to your car, getting you around climbing Coal Bank. Its a dirt road with a little climbing but it seems to be the most doable w/out a shuttle. Or, stash your bike and hitch a ride back up! Works every time!
    That ride is awesome, do it.

FK yeah dude, that's an awesome route! SOLD.

that's the ride I'm doing...
    Last edited by eatmorecarp; 08-26-2009 at 09:02 PM.