mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Trail report: Hubbard Mesa Loop 3

Sorry about the lack of pics here but I just wanted to mention this trail to anyone looking for an abusive 2.5hrs in Rifle.

I started the trail at the bottom of JQS trail head just off Hwy 13 in Rifle, CO. Riding up hill on a very hard packed surface for about 2.5 miles brings you to a large dirt road on the left. I think it is Hubbard Mesa rd. The trail head starts about 150ft from this turn. I started my GPS at the sign marked Loop 3. Right from the start the single track trail quickly weaves through the pinions and has several ridiculous whoops, this is also a dirt bike trail so... Basically the trail winds endlessly through trees, over large rock outcroppings, up steep climbs, shoulder bashing down hills, tight corners, loose powder like sand, and just when you think it might be over...NOPE it keeps going like this for another 10 miles. You will climb from the bottom of the mesa to the top a few more times, double back on your trail, and still it never gets old. I was greeted with amazing views of Rifle and beyond several times. Just make sure to pedal quickly past the gun range as they have signs posted that you may get shot!! All in all a really great trail if you're not afraid to take some abuse.

Total distance: 15.3 miles
    Time traveled: 2.5 hours

mtbr member
    Nice scouting!