mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Trail info for Uncompahgre

I'm heading up on the uncompahgre plateau this weekend for some camping/riding. I haven't ever been up that way so I was looking for some trail info. What's good to ride up there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Last year, the US Forest Service started production af a brand new map of the Uncompagre Plateau. It's a great map, printed on "plastic" paper, and not only shows all the available trails, but which trails are restricted to which user groups.

I have yet to have the opportunity to go up there and ride some of the trails, but some look really nice.

If you buy the map from the Forest Service office near the GJ airport, those folks can give you some ideas on where to ride too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have found some conflicting info on what is or isn't open to mountain bikes, that's why I was asking. Hard to tell whats what from the map I do have. I'll stop by and pick up one of the new maps before I head out. Just wondering which rides are worth doing and what trails aren't worth the time since I only have one morning to ride. Thanks

mtbr member
    Go down to one of the Moto shops and ask for the Uncompahgre/Grand Mesa trail map. They will give you one. They clearly mark all Moto, ATV, Hiker, and MTB routes on the Unc. It's a great little map and you can't beat the price. I think Motorcycle Accessories has them, but you might call before running down there.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

Tigers love pepper...
    There are a lot of trails up there. Some are also listed in the GJ Trail book you see at a lot of the bike stores. Beware, I heard some of the trails are currently covered in cow patties! That's a whole different kinda mud to ride through.

We tried to go biking up there a few weekends ago, but a Friday rainstorm turned it into mud and we never even got the bikes off the truck.

I may have to go try and get that BLM map.... I have to stop almost right next door this afternoon to pick up some paperwork!

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    the kiosk on the entrance to divide road have a decent map..there is tons of riding up there, and you will probably get lost the first time if you dont have a map or knowledge of the area. The BEST trail is covered in cow shiat right now, as they just let the cows out to ruin this pristine little creek gem..hint
    Their are tons or roads to explore, but most will put you out a long ways, and will usually be a dead end on the west side....

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by j_c_s4
    I have found some conflicting info on what is or isn't open to mountain bikes, that's why I was asking. Hard to tell whats what from the map I do have. I'll stop by and pick up one of the new maps before I head out. Just wondering which rides are worth doing and what trails aren't worth the time since I only have one morning to ride. Thanks
    your best bet would be a turkey flats ride in all honesty

mtbr member
    Dang, I was headed to a pristine little creek trail tomorrow.