Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dePaulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81

    TOP 5 trails in Fruita / GJ

    Hi everyone.

    Yet again I would like to ask the local chapter, and everyone else that has done the Fruita / Grand Junction Trails to post their TOP 5 Trails of this area.

    I will be arriving in Fruita on Monday, ( from Gunnison) and hope to ride and test at least 5 trails for Mountain Bike Mayhem

    I would appreciate any and all advice.

    I am also looking for advice on the area's "Best Bike Shop"

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,598
    Fruita sucks.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by dePaulus
    Hi everyone.

    Yet again I would like to ask the local chapter, and everyone else that has done the Fruita / Grand Junction Trails to post their TOP 5 Trails of this area.

    I will be arriving in Fruita on Monday, ( from Gunnison) and hope to ride and test at least 5 trails for Mountain Bike Mayhem

    I would appreciate any and all advice.

    I am also looking for advice on the area's "Best Bike Shop"

    Thanks in advance.
    Even a simple majority Top 5 may be pretty hard to determine around here. But you it might help to just spread your riding across the five major riding areas:

    Grand Junction - Tabeguache/Lunch Loops: Varying degrees of technical rocky goodness

    Loma/Fruita - Kokopelli: Great views and more technical rocky goodness if you hit Moore Fun and the stuff on the west end

    North Fruita - 18rd - swooping speed runs and pump track like fun

    Rabbit Valley - Big pedaling and a little of everything

    Palisade - A bit of everything, but others more knowing than me can provide better details

    I can't help with a shop recommendation. I usually just look for the one that is open and has the part I need when I break something.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dePaulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster Nutbag
    Even a simple majority Top 5 may be pretty hard to determine around here. But you it might help to just spread your riding across the five major riding areas:

    Grand Junction - Tabeguache/Lunch Loops: Varying degrees of technical rocky goodness

    Loma/Fruita - Kokopelli: Great views and more technical rocky goodness if you hit Moore Fun and the stuff on the west end

    North Fruita - 18rd - swooping speed runs and pump track like fun

    Rabbit Valley - Big pedaling and a little of everything

    Palisade - A bit of everything, but others more knowing than me can provide better details

    I can't help with a shop recommendation. I usually just look for the one that is open and has the part I need when I break something.
    Thanks for the info Poster Nutbag.
    Lots to choose from in the area, it's not going to be an easy choice, but that is a luxury problem

    Thanks again ..

  5. #5
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    TOP 5 trails in Fruita / GJ

    My favorites not really in any particular order:

    Holy Cross (Lunch loops)
    The Ribbon/Gunny as a shuttle (Lunch Loops)... or come down Prenup/Lemon/Curts Lane instead of Gunny
    Zippity Doo Daa (18rd/Fruita), also do Joes's Ridge/Lower Kessel if you have time
    Mary's/Horsethief/Steve's - Combo (Koko/Loma)

    and.....

    Hmmm.... maybe Troy Built/Lions/Mack Ridge Combo (koko) or Moore Fun

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dePaulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    TOP 5 trails in Fruita / GJ

    My favorites not really in any particular order:

    Holy Cross (Lunch loops)
    The Ribbon/Gunny as a shuttle (Lunch Loops)... or come down Prenup/Lemon/Curts Lane instead of Gunny
    Zippity Doo Daa (18rd/Fruita), also do Joes's Ridge/Lower Kessel if you have time
    Mary's/Horsethief/Steve's - Combo (Koko/Loma)

    and.....

    Hmmm.... maybe Troy Built/Lions/Mack Ridge Combo (koko) or Moore Fun

    Thanks for the feedback Cobi.

    Today I did Mary's/Horsethief/Steve's - Combo (Koko/Loma)

    Absolutely FANTASTIC.. article and pics on Mountain Bike Mayhem

    Thanks again..

  7. #7
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by dePaulus
    Thanks for the feedback Cobi.

    Today I did Mary's/Horsethief/Steve's - Combo (Koko/Loma)

    Absolutely FANTASTIC.. article and pics on Mountain Bike Mayhem

    Thanks again..
    Glad you liked it. If you want to stay out there do the Lions/Troy Built/Mack Ridge loop. Maybe throw in Moore Fun if you're up for a challenge.

    If you're ready for something different (less technical, more single track, steeper hills) head over to 18rd and go up Prime Cut then over and down Joe's Ridge/Lower Kessel. When you get to the bottom of Kessel go right and go up Western Zippity and then Down Zippity Doo Dah. Can't remember what the exact mileage is. Maybe 15 miles?

    Or head over to the Lunch Loop and Go up Pete-e-Kes (all the way), then come back on Holy Cross. If you need more mileage head back up the DT road or go back up Pete-e-kes and then head up and over the Widowmaker hill and do Eagle's Wing/Eagle's Tail. There's a bunch of fun trails out there, you can hardly go wrong. But DON'T MISS Holy Cross (If you like sweet singletrack with some great technical stuff thrown in). I really like the Ribbon/Gunny as well, but I'm a clyde and prefer to shuttle it. Some people don't like the hike-a-bike back out to the road, but it's not that long.

  8. #8
    Currywurst
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    529
    For the epic LL ride, or sunday church...go up pet-a-kis to widowmaker cutoff, LP road to the drop in and climb up the ribbon, take a breath at the top, bomb back down and take the short hike out. Hit gunny loop connecter to gunny loop, then over to holy cross, climb up holy cross to the new pucker up trail, hit a few drops and fun stuff, then rip back to the car for cold beer..

    My Koko loop is marys-horse-steves-troy-mack-more fun back to the car for beer, and maybe another one after that.

    Im riding LL tonight if anyone is interested..

  9. #9
    Currywurst
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    529
    For the epic LL ride, or sunday church...go up pet-a-kis to widowmaker cutoff, LP road to the drop in and climb up the ribbon, take a breath at the top, bomb back down and take the short hike out. Hit gunny loop connecter to gunny loop, then over to holy cross, climb up holy cross to the new pucker up trail, hit a few drops and fun stuff, then rip back to the car for cold beer..

    My Koko loop is marys-horse-steves-troy-mack-more fun back to the car for beer, and maybe another one after that.

    Im riding LL tonight if anyone is interested..

  10. #10
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,546
    My new favorite is Rabbit Valley - start at Castle Rocks campground, take Trail 2 out to the highway lot, over I-70 to Zion Curtain, when you hit the Kokopelli Trail go left instead of right, pick up Western Rim and ride it back to Trail 2 then back to the camp - the run out on Trail 2 is a high speed bomb and a great finish to a 28.5 miler
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  11. #11
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by weldo
    My Koko loop is marys-horse-steves-troy-mack-more fun back to the car for beer, and maybe another one after that.
    weldo is in better shape than me :-)

  12. #12
    Currywurst
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    weldo is in better shape than me :-)
    I would think that with your new status and all..
    congrats on the little one!

  13. #13
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    What happened to the OP? He posted some ride pics/vid from Koko then 18rd the next day and then disappeared. Maybe he didn't survive the Lunch Loops?

    Hope you got to do Ribbon, Gunny, Holy Cross, etc...

  14. #14
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    Maybe he didn't survive the Lunch Loops?
    Maybe this creepy guy from "Pans Labyrinth"..............



    grabbed him and is now using him for a finger puppet.



    Man, that would suck big time.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dePaulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81


    Thanks to EVERYONE that posted very useful info, it was really appreciated.

    No, I was not abducted my aliens or monsters... did however get 2 Epics in 3 days.

    Just posted the "Lunch Loops" with pics / vid.

    Yesterday I did another FANTASTIC but sooo long Epic at Kokopelli's.

    Mary's >> Rustlers >> Mary's >> Wranglers >> Mary's >> Horsethief >> Mary's >> Steve's >> Mary's >> Lions >> Troy Built >> Lions >> Mack Ridge >> Moore fun.

    This Epic took me just over 6 hours. I will post it soon with pics and vids

    This is my last day in Fruita, 2morrow I head for Moab... thanks again everyone for sharing your favorite trails. if I meet you on the trails, I'll treat you all to a beer..

    Ride Safe.

    RIP3D
    www.mountainbikemayhem.com

  16. #16
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by dePaulus
    Yesterday I did another FANTASTIC but sooo long Epic at Kokopelli's.
    Mary's >> Rustlers >> Mary's >> Wranglers >> Mary's >> Horsethief >> Mary's >> Steve's >> Mary's >> Lions >> Troy Built >> Lions >> Mack Ridge >> Moore fun.
    This Epic took me just over 6 hours. I will post it soon with pics and vids]
    And according to your site you did:

    >> Kurts Lane >> Miramonte >> Gunny Loop >> Ribbon ( out & back ) >> Andy’s >> Eagles Tail >> Eagles Wing >> and a few other shorter trails such as >>Ali-Ali >> Squeezed Lemon and >> Pet-e-kes. and possibly a few more “connector” trails.

    (correction - it's Lemon Squeezer not Squeezed Lemon....)

    WOW, that's ambitious for a couple days! Then again, if I was only here a few days, I'd cram in as many miles as I could as well. I think it took me half the summer to ride that many trails!

    Glad you liked the area... I'm sure you'll have a blast in Moab!

  17. #17
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,598
    Quote Originally Posted by dePaulus


    Mary's >> Rustlers >> Mary's >> Wranglers >> Mary's >> Horsethief >> Mary's >> Steve's >> Mary's >> Lions >> Troy Built >> Lions >> Mack Ridge >> Moore fun.
    Dude... that's not an Epic. That's just a nice ride out at Koko.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dePaulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Dude... that's not an Epic. That's just a nice ride out at Koko.
    Totally agree, but any ride over 5 hours in my book is an EPIC... just over 6 hours and I was completely knackered.. but in a good way of course..

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dePaulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    And according to your site you did:

    >> Kurts Lane >> Miramonte >> Gunny Loop >> Ribbon ( out & back ) >> Andy’s >> Eagles Tail >> Eagles Wing >> and a few other shorter trails such as >>Ali-Ali >> Squeezed Lemon and >> Pet-e-kes. and possibly a few more “connector” trails.

    (correction - it's Lemon Squeezer not Squeezed Lemon....)

    WOW, that's ambitious for a couple days! Then again, if I was only here a few days, I'd cram in as many miles as I could as well. I think it took me half the summer to ride that many trails!

    Glad you liked the area... I'm sure you'll have a blast in Moab!
    My last post on Mayhem was the Lunch loops Epic, I still have to post my yesterday's Epic at KoKo...

    ... haha.. Squeezed Lemon.. I must say Lemon Squeezer does sound better.

    Thanks again for all your useful advise.

  20. #20
    Currywurst
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Dude... that's not an Epic. That's just a nice ride out at Koko.
    maybe "epic" to some, but not locals, I totally agree, maybe 5 hrs at the most...its my standard ride out there when time permits



















    west to east on Moore Fun RULES!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dePaulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81
    So far I have done 2 Mtb tours of the USA, last year was the "Mountain Madness" Tour and this year the Mountain Bike Mayhem Tour, and so far I can honestly say that the Kokopelli's Trails are the best I have done... I absolutely luv these trails.
    I have done most trail numerous times in Moab, and I LUV Moab rides, what I like about Moab rides is the "remoteness" of certain Trails...

    As it is now, Fruita Colorado [ koko trails] is rated #1 on Mountain Bike Mayhem, followed by Lyons Colorado [ Hall Ranch] and Hartman Rocks Gunnison [also Colorado]

    Last year Moab just managed to beat "Bend' Oregon. Moabs Porcupine Tr. won the Race.

    Will Fruita beat Moab??...

  22. #22
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,598
    Quote Originally Posted by dePaulus
    Totally agree, but any ride over 5 hours in my book is an EPIC... just over 6 hours and I was completely knackered.. but in a good way of course..
    Ahhh... gotcha.

    Out here we generally call anything UNDER 5 hours a "short" ride.

    Way to get after it in Fruita! You hit a bunch of good stuff.

    Did you really miss Holy Cross, though?

  23. #23
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,598
    Quote Originally Posted by dePaulus


    Will Fruita beat Moab??...
    If you do the Whole Enchilada I'm guessing Moab will win.

  24. #24
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,365
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Ahhh... gotcha.
    Way to get after it in Fruita! You hit a bunch of good stuff.

    Did you really miss Holy Cross, though?
    He hit Holy Cross. He has the video on his blog. Must have just forgot to type it into the list.

    I'd consider your rides pretty epic. Not all of us around here ride 6 hours a day! (Weldo probably does... at least when he has enough gas in his truck to make it to the trailhead!)

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dePaulus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Ahhh... gotcha.

    Out here we generally call anything UNDER 5 hours a "short" ride.

    Way to get after it in Fruita! You hit a bunch of good stuff.

    Did you really miss Holy Cross, though?
    Geee, I'm full of mistakes today, Yes I did do Holy Cross, and Yes I did forget to put in on the list.. I just added it to the list

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •