Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FruitaGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    115

    For those wanting to ride Turkey Flats...

    I went up there today...parked and headed out. After I hit the jeep road and turned right, went up the hill and ran smack into the Army National Guard....they'll be up there all week doing repairs on the Fruita dam.......damn!

    First time I rode it...pretty cool though!
    This post brought to you and provided by:

    The Department of Redundancy Department

  2. #2
    Long Live Long Rides
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    394
    Tried the same thing. They told me that they will be there until late August.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hankthespacecowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    505
    Can we get them to build some trail features while they're up there?

  4. #4
    Currywurst
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    529
    yea we saw them setting up last week..

  5. #5
    member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    201

    Hay Press?

    Anybody been up Hay Press lately?

  6. #6
    Long Live Long Rides
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy
    Can we get them to build some trail features while they're up there?
    The big sign that said "Do not pass this point. Deadly force Authorized" Kind of discouraged me from asking too many questions.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SPEEDMONKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitaGuy
    I went up there today...parked and headed out. After I hit the jeep road and turned right, went up the hill and ran smack into the Army National Guard....they'll be up there all week doing repairs on the Fruita dam.......damn!

    First time I rode it...pretty cool though!

    Not to say "I told you so", but.......I told you so. Turkey Flats Conditions

    Going up tonight for T-flats/Haypress/BlackPine/Haypress/T-flats. Still sweet.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    242

    Black Pine?

    Admittedly I have not really explored when up riding Turkey Flats and just done the loop, but where do you hook up to Black Pine? I see Black Pine reservoir on the map, but the only thing I see anywhere near it is the two track that Haypress intersects with. Is Black Pine the two track or have I missed a trail that is up in that vicinity?

    If it is not subject to the rules of Fight Club, please share.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FruitaGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDMONKEY
    Not to say "I told you so", but.......I told you so. Turkey Flats Conditions

    Going up tonight for T-flats/Haypress/BlackPine/Haypress/T-flats. Still sweet.
    Aaaahhh...I had not seen your post...oh well. btw....that "deadly force authorized" thing is not to be taken seriously by the public. That is the 947th Engineers out of Grand Junction..and that work is part of their annual training. That includes putting up "security gates/checkpoints" and having passwords and all that jazz for their training. There is no live ammunition, and I'd be surprised if they have even drawn weapons for the AT...although they may have. When I hit the area where they closed the road off...I turned around and headed back down the road..back out to the parking area. One of the city guys up there said the "sentry" may yell at me as I was passing the "entry checkpoint"...I whizzed by that guy and he never even got out of his HMMV...so...well, yeah...
    This post brought to you and provided by:

    The Department of Redundancy Department

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SPEEDMONKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Poster Nutbag
    Admittedly I have not really explored when up riding Turkey Flats and just done the loop, but where do you hook up to Black Pine? I see Black Pine reservoir on the map, but the only thing I see anywhere near it is the two track that Haypress intersects with. Is Black Pine the two track or have I missed a trail that is up in that vicinity?

    If it is not subject to the rules of Fight Club, please share.

    It's certainly no secret, but you'll think it is when you ride it the first time. When you come up Fruita Res 1 trail and hit the Ridge Trail, just cross the Ridge and Black Pine trail starts right there. There's not much of a trail once you hit the bottom of the canyon untill you get to Black Pine Res. At that point, you follow ATV track further east and all the way to the road in Lobe Creek drainiage, up that road to the Ridge trail and well, back west across the ridge. Great (RAW) descent down into the canyon. If you include this trail, you can get about 2000 feet of climbing and a 15 mile loop when linked into the rest of them. SWEET! I think www.gjmountainbiking.com has a map of it.

    Go do it! This trail NEEDS more bikes and some saws........!
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

  11. #11
    member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDMONKEY
    It's certainly no secret, but you'll think it is when you ride it the first time. When you come up Fruita Res 1 trail and hit the Ridge Trail, just cross the Ridge and Black Pine trail starts right there. There's not much of a trail once you hit the bottom of the canyon untill you get to Black Pine Res. At that point, you follow ATV track further east and all the way to the road in Lobe Creek drainiage, up that road to the Ridge trail and well, back west across the ridge. Great (RAW) descent down into the canyon. If you include this trail, you can get about 2000 feet of climbing and a 15 mile loop when linked into the rest of them. SWEET! I think www.gjmountainbiking.com has a map of it.

    Go do it! This trail NEEDS more bikes and some saws........!
    We need to talk at some point. Hit Black Pine last Sunday, completely lost the trail in the bottom of the Canyon. And, in one of the better exercises of judgment that I have committed in awhile (if I say so myself), we climbed back out and made it back to Haypress Meadow before the gully washer hit.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SPEEDMONKEY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by slope folk
    We need to talk at some point. Hit Black Pine last Sunday, completely lost the trail in the bottom of the Canyon. And, in one of the better exercises of judgment that I have committed in awhile (if I say so myself), we climbed back out and made it back to Haypress Meadow before the gully washer hit.
    I have the GPX file from my last ride. PM me with your email send it over. As I said, it needs more bike traffic.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

  13. #13
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,385
    FYI - as of Sat the National Guard was still turning people around before the res.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •