mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Thinking of relocating to GJ...

I am thinking in about 9 months or so about relocating to the GJ area from Wyoming. I've been to the area, and love it, as I've always been a fan of the high desert-y type of thing. I've research rental prices, and love how low they are.

The toughest thing for me is getting a feel for the job market. I am an RN, and will have about 1 year of experience in a hospital by the time I would make the move. I'll have my BSN (currently an ADN at the moment) by the move, and also have a BS in microbiology. The nursing job market pretty much sucks everywhere for less experienced RNs, so this is what makes me worried the most about moving. Is there anybody out there that can give me an idea or feel on this particular worry of mine?

Pretty excited about this whole prospect, just gotta wait out my lease I have here in Cheyenne and get some good nursing experience under my belt!

Paste eater
    As far as the national job market goes, healthcare related postions and RNs in particular is pretty much tops. My fiance is a PA and her work moved us from Maine to SC (ugh) and now we are just down the road from GJ in Moab. So there's that. St Mary's is a pretty large regional hospital and I have to believe that there are at least a few other opportunities.

Lost of good info on GJ and the Grand Valley in this thread: Help me Colorado

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Check out Community Hospital, St. Marys Hospital and Family Health West. There is a ton of medical employment opportunity in this valley! Rent can be higher than purchase payments so check into that closely too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks! I was just asking, because the real, actual job market for RN's is quite different than what the media and society portrays, especially for new grads. Luckily I'll have a year of experience under my belt by then so it shouldn't be as bad.

My credit isn't the hottest at the moment, so I'm not sure about buying... I was just excited to see rent prices. I can get 3x the house in GJ for the same amount of rent I pay for a house in Cheyenne. And places will actually rent to someone with a cat. It's quite amazing!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    Thanks! I was just asking, because the real, actual job market for RN's is quite different than what the media and society portrays, especially for new grads.
    That's crazy talk. Try getting job in something like marketing. My fiance is a a PA. While the pay is better, when looking for jobs the hardest part is sifting through all the RN jobs. I have all sorts of friends that are nurses. They get jobs all over the place, work for temp agencies and sometimes are even travel nurses.

Now, being a new grad in anything is going to makes things tougher and GJ isn't exactly a booming metropolis. You should 100% take that into consideration and maybe you;'ll need to suck it up for a bit while you get experience. My fiance did and we lived in South Carolina for a year and it sucked. However, I truly think with a little effort you could find something in GJ. Just look at indeed. That's a pretty good search result considering the size of the market and the current economy.
    RN Jobs, Employment in Grand Junction, CO | Indeed.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    That's crazy talk. Try getting job in something like marketing. My fiance is a a PA. While the pay is better, when looking for jobs the hardest part is sifting through all the RN jobs. I have all sorts of friends that are nurses. They get jobs all over the place, work for temp agencies and sometimes are even travel nurses.

Now, being a new grad in anything is going to makes things tougher and GJ isn't exactly a booming metropolis. You should 100% take that into consideration and maybe you;'ll need to suck it up for a bit while you get experience. My fiance did and we lived in South Carolina for a year and it sucked. However, I truly think with a little effort you could find something in GJ. Just look at indeed. That's a pretty good search result considering the size of the market and the current economy.
    RN Jobs, Employment in Grand Junction, CO | Indeed.com
    I'll have just about a year of experience in a hospital when I go to look for a new job, so I should be good! Seems like most jobs at St. Mary's only require 3 months of experience, which definitely fits into what I'll have. I'll definitely be over that new grad hump, to say the least! I work for a small, critical access hospital right now and it's great because I get experience in literally everything so I'll have a good experience base to go off of.

Just excited to get out of Cheyenne... the wind is driving me bonkers. 26 years in Wyoming, and I've had it with the wind!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I'll have just about a year of experience in a hospital when I go to look for a new job, so I should be good! Seems like most jobs at St. Mary's only require 3 months of experience, which definitely fits into what I'll have. I'll definitely be over that new grad hump, to say the least! I work for a small, critical access hospital right now and it's great because I get experience in literally everything so I'll have a good experience base to go off of.

Just excited to get out of Cheyenne... the wind is driving me bonkers. 26 years in Wyoming, and I've had it with the wind!
    I'm with 'ya on the wind! My wife & I did a medical travel job in Casper and the constant westerly 2o mph wind was like Chinese water torture. After three months, I couldn't wait to get out of there.
    One note on St Mary's in GJ. I have a friend who works there and He tells me the pay sucks at all levels. probably because they have become the "destination hospital" for MTB'ers with medical careers moving in...
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    been in gj for about 6 mo now and jobs were my biggest concern as well.. i have to say there are more jobs here than i thought and it is relaxed enough overall that taking care of oneself by riding is highly regarded.... something that cant be said for more urban area in my experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've been thinking of moving to GJ since i visited last year what a great place.
    I work in high tech though so not sure where i could find a job. Any other CO suggestions on where i should look?

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by randomroot View Post
    I've been thinking of moving to GJ since i visited last year what a great place.
    I work in high tech though so not sure where i could find a job. Any other CO suggestions on where i should look?
    Remotely. As awesome as this area is, there is very very little in the way of employment in tech related fields. I work for a company in Denver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Jwind, I spent a good amount of time reading the sticky in front range did not see it before this post
    Good suggestions there.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by randomroot View Post
    Thanks Jwind, I spent a good amount of time reading the sticky in front range did not see it before this post
    Good suggestions there.
    What part of tech? I'm in web/software development and more and more companies seem to support remote work due to congestion and keeping employees happy. Denver is a great place for tech in general. I don't make as much out this way, but I also get to live out this way.