mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Telluride this weekend

This is my very first post here in MTBR. I have been lurking for some time now and have searched a ton but haven't found what I am looking for.

I am headed to Telluride with the lady this weekend for her first mountain bike adventure. I have actually never been to Telluride so I am stoked to check it out.

Does anyone have any feedback on Sunshine Campground south of town?

Can someone reccomeend a ride that is not going to deter her from riding? I am looking for something that has some easy up hill and some consistent flowing DH ST.

Any help is great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    We'll since no one else has spoken up I'll give you what little help I can. I'm in Ridgway which is 45 min away from T-Ride by Ouray. We've all had a TON of rain here. I would imagine thing's in T-Ride are pretty mucky right now.
    You mentioned trails to introduce your friend to ridding. We have a great little singletrack system right here in Ridgway. Ride it from town. Here is the link to the map.
    http://ridgwaytrails.com/trails/
    Have fun!
    Randy

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    "The River Trail" heads out of town along the river. It starts out as a mere bike path that is super easy and becomes mildly technical by the time it reaches the highway. It is relatively flat the whole time. From there you can cross the highway and go into the Lawson Hill subdivision past the Conoco and access "The Galloping Goose" which is an old railroad grade (thus not too steep) and not very technical that will take you to the bottom of Illium Valley, which is at the base of Mt Wilson. Both trails are about three miles each. There is another river at the bottom of the Goose.
    Any bike shop can give you good directions. You are going to be psyched - Telluride is amazing.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool Guys recommendation is good. The valley floor singletrack which is what the river trail turns into is going to be pretty wet. A few other suggestion that would be
    1. Take the gondola and ride the Village trail to Jurassic to lawson hill. from hear you could either go down the galloping goose or take the vally floor singletrack or bike trail back to town. FYI- The ridge trail off of the gondola suck. Its very rocky and technical especially when wet.
    2. Bridal vail falls. This is not singletrack but will get your legs going and take you to a nice area(will be some jeeps on the road). Its a few miles of pavement to the east of town)or a dirt path. Then its up on a jeep road. if you take the mellowest rout it not bad. Its a pretty easy ride to the base of the falls and not bad to the top(might be some snow but not much). It not a rid that most locals do because it lacks singletrack and has some jeep traffic but it was one of my favorite rides when I was learning.

3., Mill creek- This is an intermediate ride. The dirt road climb is steeper and the singetrack is slightly tech and certainly up hill. Its still a short ride so if you have to walk the uphill singletrack it only takes around 15min. Then it turns into a flowy singletrack ride that will blow her away. Just be careful on the final decent into town with hikers and dogs. A good rider can do the 7 mile loop in an hour so it will not take much longer then two if you take your time and walk a few sections.

Sunshine campground is ok. Standard small forest service campground that is too close to 145. If you have 4wd(really dont need it) Alta lakes is 20 minutes on a dirt road from sunshine is is very very nice. Another good option is priest lake(no a full service campground but has a bathroom) Alta lakes has table and bathrooms too and is free.

bsg